The Tesla Plaid Will Smoke Every Car Ferrari Makes for $150k | Page 20 | FerrariChat

The Tesla Plaid Will Smoke Every Car Ferrari Makes for $150k

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Golden Steed, Nov 30, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ddrewesusa

ddrewesusa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2021
    92,955,807 miles from the sun
    Full Name:
    Don Drewes
    It wasn't just your dad bitching, trust me, I know exactly how almost ALL of that feels!! :)

If you look at all the reliability concerns about the Tesla, they are pretty much all superficial, such as fit and finish of panels, infotainment reboots (like you said), some cheaper components in places (you have to keep costs down somewhere or you could have a $200,000 car real fast), but no one really has any majors about the drive train besides a few things here and there that you are gong to have. I always complain that it is getting to the point that the cars require extremely complex and costly items to fix at home, but the reality is that I'm getting to the age that I really don't want to do it anymore, mainly because I have ZERO time to because of business obligations. I will say it again though, I am looking more and more at acquiring a Model S for a daily driver when all these part craziness issues get under control and price stability happens. I don't believe it will be cheaper overall from a Mercedes S560 since they are about the same initial cost, and if it doesn't keep me excited when I get in it every day, I will sell it to someone who will. :)

Thanks for the great discussion!!

Jaguar36 likes this.
  2. vonbeeler

vonbeeler Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    This same question has been asked for 40years comparing Corvette and yet plenty of folks myself included spent 4 times as much many times over because we can afford to.

Given the choice between a base Ferrari and a top spec Tesla with a couple hours to enjoy on the Autobahn who is going to pick the Tesla??
    If there is a destination the base Ferrari will smoke said Tesla in thrill of journey not to mention arrival time. I know from experience I can travel comfortably at 170mph in a Ferrari and can exceed 200 if chosen.

My very first Ferrari was a dream acquired 348 spider purchased about 25 years ago. I traded my then 92 911 turbo for it. Knowing the 348 was slower than the 911 turbo the intangible feeling inclusive of many indescribable factors made the thrill of the drive to another level.
    That same thrill continues in todays modern Ferraris.

Im not discounting Tesla. They have done great things. I will own electric in the stable.
    It has its place but doesn’t compete with my Ferrari’s.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

3. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky

4. LondonParis

LondonParis Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2020
    Houston/London/Paris
    Full Name:
    Bill Coates
    I think it is...the title of the thread is about a Tesla smoking a Ferrari. My fear is an accident like this will kick the regulatory mind into overdrive.

I am in Europe where the capital city vibe is not just anti-ICE but anti-private car ownership.

For a moment let's assume that the accident was a "right foot - wrong pedal" situation.

I think the regulator mindset will go something like this...

G7 is a professional taxi provider who uses licensed professional drivers...
    Taxi driver accident rates are lower than the general public...
    therefore...taxi drivers are better drivers

The vehicle lost control due to unexpected acceleration (driver unable to regain control from right foot wrong pedal)
    therefore...the vehicle is dangerous in an urban setting even in the hands of a professional driver.

From 2022 (this is fact) all new vehicles sold in France are required to have intelligent speed limiters that will read speed limit signs and control vehicle speed accordingly...

The average 0-100km/hr time for the fleet of vehicles in Europe (small turbo-diesel) is 10-11sec.

Electric vehicles have exceptional torque and acceleration coupled with high mass (i.e. hard to stop) but acceleration can be software limited very easily...

End result...software limitation of electric vehicle acceleration to mimic the broader fleet and thereby reduce the risk of catastrophic accidents...

And as an added benefit...lower initial acceleration will limit battery consumption, increase range and therefore contribute to a positive climate outcome...Win Win!

So don't be surprised (at least in Europe) that software is going to put out the fire of EV acceleration.

For me, I am just going to enjoy my V12 for as long as I can...

vonbeeler likes this.
  5. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    A dumb thread. Nobody dreams of buying a tesla, parks it in their garage, rubs on it with a diaper, never drives it in the rain, and keeps it in better than as delivered condition with only delivery miles. Ask yourself why that is and you'll see why this is a dumb thread.

Flea7, wiley355, vonbeeler and 3 others like this.
  6. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    I have no desire to own or purchase a Tesla. The electric car in the current form will not last. Hydrogen will be the future. It's clean and cheap to produce.

7. Tony91505

Tony91505 Formula Junior

Apr 13, 2005
    So cal
    Full Name:
    Tony
    #482 Tony91505, Dec 18, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2021
    I’m afraid that is not true and very outdated thinking. For years, when picking my daughter up from elementary school in the Fcars and many kids would gather around and ask if it was the new Tesla. Also,younger professionals I know seem to have the Tesla s their automotive goal. That said, I don’t agree with it, like many here, but that’s how many see it. Times are changing and the goal posts are moving. For those who think they can see the future with great clarity, I would suggest playing the stock market.

lastly, the reason many buy and turn Fcars to shiny garage queens would be to preserve value while owning the car. One could surmise the car owns them. Owning a Tesla is like owning a super computer. The purchase of a Tesla is rather a temporary state knowing full well that it will be outdated soon and lose its coolness factor. The only exception being it’s amazing resale value and the speed which a used one sells. It can never be a substitute for an Fcar, that much is clear to me, but it clearly is thriving in its own space.

anunakki, paulchua and BOKE like this.
  8. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    My point exactly and why the thread is dumb. Ferraris don't go to junk yards. They are special cars. Not sure the young you speak of with their fleeting desire can understand that. Maybe buy a virtual piece of art or something to make oneself feel better at least for a short time.

9. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    I wanted to add another thought about the Ferrari brand. Ferrari was not always a popular brand. I remember Ferrari's being considered fancy Fiat's in the 60's and 70's. It was not until the 1980's the brand became popular because of Hollywood. Ferraris were not easy to drive and not everyone wanted one. Now Ferrari is making cars for everyone and competing with brands like Tesla. I hate it.

I want Tesla to beat Ferrari at making a better everyday car. I want Ferrari to go back to making exclusive cars for the street which Tesla buyers do not want to own.
    Personally, I can't stand people are buying the Ferrari brand so they can park it outside their favorite restaurant or grocery store to look at. Leave this up to Tesla.

anunakki and ginoBBi512 like this.
  10. Golden Steed

Golden Steed Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Golden Steed
    The people who can afford to buy Ferrari products want them as status symbols. Most driving purists could never afford one.

So your ideal could never happen from a purely economic standpoint. And Ferrari has made it clear in recent years, they only care about money. That's why they're building station wagons and SUVs.

The point of this thread was never to trash Ferrari. But to point out that as a brand, they may have little to offer in terms of substance moving forward. Electric speed is cheap to build. If Ferrari can't rule the roads, it's just another handbag: a logo and some clout.

Very few people in this thread actually want to address that, though. So they keep trying to make it about comparing Ferrari directly to Tesla. I think it's because they know Ferrari may be done as a substantive brand. They will go all in on pomp and circumstance, celebrity and clout. They will make zillion dollar one off cars that will never actually be driven. The soul of the brand, which may have already been drained, will be completely gone.

paulchua and tbakowsky like this.
  11. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    The fact that you believe this is exactly why you are enamored by the one trick pony that is Tesla and continue banging on about it here. Many many companies have done speed “better” than Ferrari at various points in history. Big deal. It’s not dissimilar to pointing out a Michelin star chef like Alain Ducasse can’t produce food as quickly as McDonalds. Someone with a lack of pallet may appreciate that one dimensional aspect of speed, but connoisseurs will continue to flock to places like Benoit for a broadly complete and superior experience.

DiamondDog likes this.
  12. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Not a Tesla fan but this is not a one trick pony

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pis7a2020 and Jaguar36 like this.
  13. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    It IS, however, a one LAP pony.What are the times on subsequent lapS?

14. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Since when have we seen motor trend for instance in their reviews post multiple lap times for instance? I don’t think that’s fair and I’m sure with full battery it likely does a solid set of good Laps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jaguar36 likes this.
  15. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    #490 willrace, Dec 20, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2021
    Veyron is known as a porker, but very quick and fast in a straight line. Over two tons of mass eats the tires and brakes, taxes the cooling systems, etc. It ain't a track-day car. "Lithe" will never describe it outside of the company of full-size pickups.
    Now, add almost another half-ton to that weight.

Until batteries are both much much MUCH lighter and store and manage the power MUCH better, even the Plaid is a point-and-squirt trick with little reserve for handling before destroying the tires and brakes, if not more.

We'll get there, but we ain't there yet..... and when we do, they will be very very fast appliances, with little involvement or engagement, especially for anyone who's driven analog cars. The new generations won't know to miss any of it.
    They'll be slightly more exciting than a ride-along with a Sabine Schmidt driver, or maybe not even as much.

16. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    Both brands will continue to thrive in their niches. Neither one is going anywhere.

Tesla will lose momentum when the big auto companies catch up. It's a matter of time.

Ferrari will continue to sell high end sports cars with the technology available at the time to high end customers. Their sales will rise and fall with the world economy.

The next wave is hydrogen fuels.

F2003-GA and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  17. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    Tesla is coming out with a 5000 HP car, with and option for nitrous oxide !!! Good grief .

Thank you

18. ddrewesusa

ddrewesusa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2021
    Full Name:
    Don Drewes
    Is the nitrous oxide for the driver?

Can someone point out where you need Nitrous in a Battery car? I am not sure where you would use that except for the driver to breathe.

F2003-GA likes this.
  19. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO

Its goof !!! no sense of humor ? lol

Thank you

20. ddrewesusa

ddrewesusa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2021
    Full Name:
    Don Drewes
    You got me!! :)

ginoBBi512 likes this.
  21. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    (clapping) Well said. I've always felt your core desire to ask how Ferrari can preserve its specialness in an era of commoditized performance? I would say at least be competitive in that space, for starters. It boggles my mind how some could argue for throwing in the towel, and they are the real Ferrarista?

22. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    If you've driven the latest Ferrari and compared them to older ones, that same exact comment can be made. It's already happened. If you don't take my word for it, see Chris Harris' latest review of the SF90 if you don't believe me.

23. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I wonder if theres a forum somewhere where men argue over the size of their trophy wives fake boobs...

24. Tony91505

Tony91505 Formula Junior

Apr 13, 2005
    So cal
    Full Name:
    Tony
    If you find one, please let me know. Sounds like interesting reading!

SirTony76 and anunakki like this.
  25. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    Al Bundy's favorite magazine Big'uns :p

Tony91505 and ddrewesusa like this.