UK Moving Towards Eliminating Private Car Ownership (no politics!) | FerrariChat

UK Moving Towards Eliminating Private Car Ownership (no politics!)

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by FerrariFR33458, Dec 29, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    CA first

2. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    It’s amazing that as many car enthusiasts as there are, we have virtually no legislative voice. Hell, even the manufacturers don’t care what we think.

Texas Forever likes this.
  3. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    This is just one of our MPs who like most of them live in a bubble inside the m25 which has no reality to the vast majority of tne population.

Wont happen!

How these people tie their shoe laces in the morning is a mystery!!

4. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    One step closer to all hell breaking loose. This is going to end badly.

F2003-GA and kes7u like this.
  5. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I've been saying this for years. There is no question that in the future most people will not own a car for daily transportation. You'll order a Uber-like robot car that will pick up up, take you where you want to go, and stay or come back when you are ready to leave.

Need a pick up truck for gardening on the weekend? Just order one. Need a cheap single seater to get to work? Order one. Need to get away with the kids? Order an SUV.

No driver's license, no car insurance, no parking issues, no road tax , and no drunk drivers.

Almost no accidents as all cars are under central computer control and talk to one another. No traffic as all cars are routed to minimize cars on any one road. All cars will be self charging so no gas stations. Delivery service of almost everything by robot car will be available, perhaps even bringing it to your door.

Parking lots will become repurposed into housing. Houses with garages will be converted into extra bedrooms or home offices.

Finally, car racing will stop as we know it. First, there will be no marketing reason for manufactures to invest in racing because -- you no longer choose a car brand to buy. Second legislation will outlaw "in car person" racing. The cars will be run with the human in a VR / META station so they cannot be injured. This of course would be the end of racing.

The only question then is will "classic" cars be legal to use on public roads in a sea of computer controlled cars. Its possible they may be driven by special permit but government restricted on where or when. Then there's a problem of getting gas with no gas stations around and no mechanics left to work on them....

I'm not saying I like this future but its coming. My guess is 30 years but it might be less. Its exactly what happened to the horse from 1899 to 1939.

tbakowsky and flat_plane_eddie like this.
  6. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Somebody has been at the Christmas tipple !!!!

ERACobra and italiafan like this.
  7. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    This is posted in the general discussion forums. Political opinions may NOT be posted.

8. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    While I generally agree with your horse analogy, I think the difference in cars per capita vs horses per capita will result in a longer change over period than 30 years. In 1900 there were roughly 21.5 million horses and donkeys in the United States and roughly 76.2 million people in the United States. Roughly one horse for every 3.5 people. Also, the number of horses and donkeys included draft animals, so the number of people using horses as transportation was much smaller. Today there are roughly 287 million cars in the U.S. and 334 million people. Roughly one car per 1.3 people. That said, I do think the RUSH song Red Barchetta is where we are headed. Hopefully not in my lifetime.

9. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #10 Steve Magnusson, Dec 29, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2021
    Wish I could be here in 30 years to laugh at your prediction -- it will be as wrong as the predictions made in 1970 for what living in the year 2000 would be like (most of which haven't happened even now 22 years after 2000).

The big problem with your prediction is the massive complexity/cost, but the added inefficiency is terrible -- or is everyone going to have a "gov't car" parked in their garage or parking space? Cars replaced horses because they could travel more miles per day, could be refueled more quickly (horses had to be housed and fed overnight -- like a BEV ;)), and could carry more weight/people. If something else comes along that can do all those things better than cars at the same cost, it will replace them, but a gov't-owned fleet of robotaxis controlled by SkyNet is none of that.

10. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    Can not agree with all that was written in TheMayor's prediction, though I do think a bit of that might certainly come into play within the next few decades. I also remember a TV show in the mid 1960s that was all about the future & all the technology predictions...I'm still waiting for most of them to happen. That said, the cars that we all love, will most likely still have a place far into the future, same as horses & horseback riding. I live in NY, on Long Island in a rather congested area, that is surprisingly to some, known as a horse property area (not the Hamptons). Many/all of the privately owned horses here are ridden, or if one prefers 'driven' regularly, and often seen out on streets along with the cars as well as in the nearby state park, and at the nearby Equestrian center. Maybe automobile racing will go away as it keeps devolving, but horse racing is still here alive and well for some unknown reason, and I don't think it's any safer now for the jockeys than it was long ago. :D

11. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    cars have more utilization than horses. the free market caused the replacement.

JTSE30 likes this.
  12. mrmicks

mrmicks Rookie

May 11, 2016
    The problem with the dial an electric car approach is that it doesn’t deliver what is forecast, namely a reduction in cars on the road.

Whilst we still have a society that requires a large number to move at the same time it’s not economic for the cost to be borne by corporations.

It moves the burden of largely idle car costs from the consumer to business.

It only works if remote working becomes the norm for a large portion of the workforce. We have already seen pushback against this because of the impact it has on city economies and office rental value.

It’s a pipe dream that’s not been thought through and I can’t see it coming true in my lifetime.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

13. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    Yes, but that is NOT the point I clearly made. Good grief. .... Horses are still here and enthusiasts are still using and investing, and whatever else.

14. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    And for anyone who thinks a prancing horse is expensive, a good one of the breathing kind will take your breath away.

MWHC4S, wfu97 and Lusso123 like this.
  15. Spezia

Spezia Karting

Dec 15, 2019
    Full Name:
    John Weires
    I sure don't like it, but the technology is already here, even in early form, to make it happen.

Just because we have the technology doesn't mean it will happen.

BUT people will likely get sucked into the changes necessary for this mindset to become mainstream one change at a time.

Obviously big cities in California could/will be early adopters.

16. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    We are a very small community compaired to the rest of the population. I have been saying this for years!!

flat_plane_eddie likes this.
  17. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    SEMA Action Network.
    ??

Sent from my SM-A102U using FerrariChat.com mobile app

18. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Scuderia Ferrari will in fact become a real Scuderia of horses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Heston former NRA president said you could pry his gun out of his cold dead hand. I guess I can add my car to that list. I'm driving my diesel even if my diet will consist of 100% french fries so I can make bio-diesel out of the old fry oil.

19633500GT likes this.
  20. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Silly post removal.:rolleyes:

Bullfighter likes this.
  21. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    You are at liberty to start another thread on the matter in P&R. You are not at liberty to derail this one with political commentary or lobby to have it moved to P&R.

All the best,
    Andrew.

22. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I did neither of those. In fact I believe I said that (counter to someone else’s suggestion) it should not be moved to P&R because it would lock the originating poster out of the thread as he is not subscribed.

23. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    So anyway..how does.one cash in on this? Can a private citizen own an autonomous subscription car service?

24. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua