Mondial T stopped running- suggest elec checks? | FerrariChat

Mondial T stopped running- suggest elec checks?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Fletchf1, Dec 27, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fletchf1

Fletchf1 Rookie

Jun 29, 2018
    Banbury
    Full Name:
    Christian Fletcher
    1990 t coupe. Was running fine. Suddenly went half power, ran for a mile or so, idled very lumpy for a minute, now no start.
    I have a workshop manual and wiring diagram. Can anyone suggest basic electrical checks I can run using a multi meter? To check the key sensors, relays, power to ECU, ignition coils and fuel pumps.
    I wish to avoid blindly swapping over expensive components for new. All I have tried so far has been new crank position sensors because aftermarket Kia parts were v cheap, no difference so put the originals back on.

2. aec

aec Karting

Jul 28, 2011
    Weston, MA
    Did any of the "Slow Down" warming lights come on before it went to half power? Temperature sensors on catalytic converters (if you have them) can shut down engine banks when cats overheat.

3. 83Mondialqv

83Mondialqv Formula Junior

May 18, 2021
    New York
    Full Name:
    Vito L
    You should check the fuse box. Have you upgraded it yet? My mondi did that and it was the fuse box.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

4. Fletchf1

Fletchf1 Rookie

Jun 29, 2018
    Banbury
    Full Name:
    Christian Fletcher
    No dash warning lights, and no cat temp sensors are fitted. I have the original fuse box so will check all fuse and relay connections

5. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    When you say "no dash warning lights" do you mean:

1. I turn the key "on", and there are literally no lights "on", not even the alternator warning light,

or

2. I turn the key "on", and the alternator warning light comes "on", but there are no other oddball warning lights "on" (like "check engine")?

6. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    1990 t Coupe is nice!

Sounds like one bank of the engine went down, maybe a coil or related power module failure is my immediate reaction.

https://www.superformance.co.uk/348/ignition.html

The ones on there can probably be tested, maybe someone can detail the procedure for a coil/module test.

7. Fletchf1

Fletchf1 Rookie

Jun 29, 2018
    Banbury
    Full Name:
    Christian Fletcher
    Answer to Steve; #2, there are no oddball warning lights on the dash, just ign and oil I think, the usual.

8. Fletchf1

Fletchf1 Rookie

Jun 29, 2018
    Banbury
    Full Name:
    Christian Fletcher
    Answer to Moysiuan; does anyone know how to test the coils using a multimeter?

9. Wingnut

Wingnut Karting

Feb 11, 2005
    Corolla, NC
    A coil went bad on my 1990 t. Similar engine problems, one bank not firing. RockAuto had Bosch replacement coils for @$60 each as I recall. Check out my post on coils for the Mondial t here on FerrariC
    Wingnut

10. Fletchf1

Fletchf1 Rookie

Jun 29, 2018
    Banbury
    Full Name:
    Christian Fletcher
    Thanks for all your helpful replies.
    I found the problem today.
    Left bank had no fuel supply so checked the pump relay on the rear bulkhead in the boot. The fuse had blown. All fine now.

JLF, gsfent and moysiuan like this.
  11. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Time to find out why that fuse did blow...

12. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister

was going to suggest this. Always start with the simple stuff. Verify fuel supply, spark then if those exist move on to more complicated stuff. Glad you found it.

13. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Hmmm, could also be bad fuel pump too, that’s what happened to me when I ran half engine.