York Compressor oil? | FerrariChat

York Compressor oil?

Discussion in '308/328' started by Tokyo Drftr, Jun 22, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tokyo Drftr

Tokyo Drftr Formula 3

Jan 18, 2009
    UA-USA-JP
    Full Name:
    Ро&#1081
    I have tried to find in search but am challenged in this way. Can anyone tell me what type of oil can be used in the compressor and quantity? Thanks

2. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Per the owners manual, the compressor takes 11 ounces of oil. Originally (using R12) it was mineral oil but if you are converting to 134, an ester oil is recommended.

The York compressor is about as bulletproof a component as there is. They were used on millions of cars in the 60's, 70's, and 80's and their only drawback is they vibrate. The capacity of the unit to provide cooling is far beyond the tiny cabin of a Ferrari and there is no cooling benefit to changing the York over to some "higher-tech" compressor, most of which actually have less cooling capacity than the York does though they are quieter and run with less vibration.

3. Tokyo Drftr

Tokyo Drftr Formula 3

Jan 18, 2009
    UA-USA-JP
    Full Name:
    Ро&#1081
    Thanks! Was trying to find it in my manual also.

4. Tokyo Drftr

Tokyo Drftr Formula 3

Jan 18, 2009
    UA-USA-JP
    Full Name:
    Ро&#1081
    can you run mobil 1 in that compressor with R134

5. irondogmike

irondogmike F1 Rookie

Sep 8, 2006
    San Diego area
    Full Name:
    Michael Tucker
    why would you do that? oil+R134

6. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    Castrol Ester oil is compatible with R12 and R134a. I bought an 8 oz. bottle (P/N: 6808) for under $10 CDN at one of my local auto parts stores...

7. CliffBeer

CliffBeer Formula 3

Apr 3, 2005
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Cliff
    90wt gear oil mixed with some cod liver oil and a dash of olive oil works well....

8. Paul_308

Paul_308 Formula 3

Mar 12, 2004
    #8 Paul_308, Jun 23, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2009
    Not taking this seriously will result in a short lived fix. R12 and R134a
    use different threads. You really should have an AC manifold gauge set,
    they aren't expensive, however R12 manifolds are no longer easy to find.
    Harbour Freight or used is the only chance nowdays.

Critical: You need to obtain a good vacuum pump and thoroughly clean your
    system of existing oil and contaminants. Most cities have a retailer who caters
    to the A/C trade discuss the best oil and amount with the clerk. Oil is'nt
    poured in by added at the end of the vacuum phase.

If you plan to convert to R134a kits are available soas to change the fittings
    to the manifold. If you don't change fittings, someone down the road will
    become confused about which refrigerant is installed.

I've converted but would advise not doing so as long as you have a
    guaranteed source of R12. DO NOT use R12 substitutes or Mexican
    R12. It is bogus usually not lasting one season. If you can't get
    real R12 (I still have some) then and only then convert.

Sorry for not directly answering your question or perhaps not adding to your knowledge.
    But I've done a few cars a few years back plus heard some horror stories.
    These are things which stick in my mind. Wish I could send you my vacuum pump.
    (large medical one)

Forgot to add...oil quantity is not based upon the compressor but on the total
    internal volume of tubing and all parts. I.e. it mixes with the refrigerant and
    flows throughout the system, not accumulating in the compressor as some think.
    With the compressor at the rear, there will be slightly more oil used than
    with a front everything car but the total amount required is not critical.

9. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    "Forgot to add...oil quantity is not based upon the compressor but on the total
    internal volume of tubing and all parts. I.e. it mixes with the refrigerant and
    flows throughout the system, not accumulating in the compressor as some think. "

This is true or "modern" compressors but not the York. They have oil sumps, just like car engines. Over time some oil may find it's way into the cooling system and that is the reason they recommend a change from the original mineral oil to an ester oil if you switch from R12 to 134 or whatever. Strictly speaking, it won't matter BUT since the usual cans of refrigerant also contain lubricant - it's best if the oil in the compressor reservoir and the coolant are compatible.

Easiest way to visualize it is the difference between small 2 cycle and 4 cycle engine - the two cycle has it's oil mixed with the gas and has no oil reservoir; the 4 cycle has an oil reservoir which lubricates by splash/spray. The modern air cond compressor acts like a two stroke and its lubricating oil is supplied with the circulating gas; the York acts like a 4 stroke...

10. rolindsay

rolindsay Formula 3

Jul 14, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Rick Lindsay
    Folks, please keep in mind that there are TWO oils; One is the system lubricant that we're all discussing and the second is a lubricant for the bearings in the York's "crankcase". The later is just 'oil'.

11. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Not to keep beating this to death...the poster asked about how much oil the York compressor takes. As stated in the owners manual and in the York compressor service manual, it takes 11 oz of oil. This originally was mineral oil because it was compatible with the oil in the refrigerant R12. IF some other refirigerant is used, the compressor oil SHOULD be changed to an oil that is compatible. The reason for this is that IF non compatible oil is used, and there is some "blowby" from the compressor, the incompatibility of the two oils will cause the expansion valve to clog, thus rendering the ac system inoperative and requiring, at a minimum, a new expansion valve and thorough purging of the coolant system.

SO...the lubricant contained in the refrigerant and the 11OZ of oil contained in the compressor's sump should be compatible to avoid problems.

One of the common uses of the York compressors is to be used as an on-board air compressor instead of it's original use as an ac compressor. This is done a lot in off-road vehicles. In this use, ANY motor oil is fine in the compressor.

12. Tokyo Drftr

Tokyo Drftr Formula 3

Jan 18, 2009
    UA-USA-JP
    Full Name:
    Ро&#1081
    Yes there are mods that the off roaders use ..........they dissassemble and plug an "oiler orifice" so oil does not get into the AC system (leak/inject out of the york unit). I read where they run mobil 1, that is why i asked on this board. Using a syn. motor oil with the r134. I do not feel much difference with my R12 308 compared to the R134 308 but i do realize, the added pressure incurred by the R134 system supposedly diminishes the life of the york. So i've read. Then others say the york can handle. I guess i will find out.

13. Futureman

Futureman Formula 3

May 16, 2007
    #13 Futureman, Jun 23, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2009
    According to the York manual, POE (polyol ester) is acceptable for use with R12 and it is compatible with any mineral oil that may be in the system. PAG oil is used with R134 according to the York manual. If switching to R134, which is not recommended for these cars, you need to flush all the old oil out of the system. That means flushing the condenser, the evaporator, the lines, replace the filter dryer and probably the expansion valve. I recently rebuilt my compressor with a couple of seal and gasket kits from NAPA. For my 328 the owners manual states 11 oz. in the compressor. According to the compressor manual, the dipstick should have 41 mm of oil on it with the compressor on its side which corresponds to 12 oz. This is close to the range shown in the Ferrari manual (38-40mm). I figured a little more is better than a little less. Plus, I added an ounce at the filter dryer when I replaced it and I added some at the condenser when I replaced the discharge hose from the compressor to the condenser. R12 is readily available, it's just expensive. But you only need 35 oz. for a complete recharge (less than $100). I would not recommend changing to R134 unless you live in a mild climate area. I have found that anything much above 90F in the south (with humidity) and these systems with R12 can't catch up after the car has been sitting in the sun for a few hours or after a spirited long drive in the heat of the day. R134 would only make it worse.

14. gilligan308

gilligan308 Karting

Dec 8, 2008
    S.W.Florida
    Full Name:
    Brian
    We use 3G,3GS,4gs mineral oil in R-22 and R12 systems. Don't mix POE,mineral or you will be buying new everything!!!Compressors hate mineral oil with134-a.If you are using R12 or one of the R12 replacements as I do get some 3gs oil at a Johnstone supply or maybe grainger might have it.POE oils work great with 134-a but stick with mineral oils unless the system has been cleaned out and change of refrigerant to 134-a.

15. Paul_308

Paul_308 Formula 3

Mar 12, 2004
    I don't mind being beat over the head if I learn something in the process. Thanks to Mike and Rick for the lesson, I've not yet encountered a York.

16. Tokyo Drftr

Tokyo Drftr Formula 3

Jan 18, 2009
    UA-USA-JP
    Full Name:
    Ро&#1081
    Well been researching about the york. Mostly from the MB, Porsche and Off road truckers. Very interesting these yorks. In my youth i did use one as an aircompressor on my "yard" truck. But anyway, i found that the yorks discharge oil via an internal port. The "truckers" simply tap and plug so no oil is discharged. This got me to thinking, these compressors would eventually run out of oil. I know the manual says to replace the R12 yearly, i suppose at that time the compressor oil level is ckd? I just had one of my cars serviced with R12 not long ago, but i think i will ck the level anyway. I did notice the oil level was very low in the car i am working with.

17. mustardfj40

mustardfj40 Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Northen California
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I have bunch of friends who run York compressor on their 4x4s, they also turn their truck bumpers/rocker sliders into the airtanks. On my 4x4 I am running an electric compressor but it's not nice as the York, with the York compressor you can run air tools on the trails, my compressor is only good for air up tires and run the differential lockers. I almost pulled a York compressor from Volvo at the junkyard but...

18. Tokyo Drftr

Tokyo Drftr Formula 3

Jan 18, 2009
    UA-USA-JP
    Full Name:
    Ро&#1081
    Yeah, well i know too much about yorks now, the difference between the short stroke, medium stroke and long stroke yorks. Volvo's are long stroke..............they rallied the 308 didn't they? Well there you go.........on board air compressor.........

19. Tokyo Drftr

Tokyo Drftr Formula 3

Jan 18, 2009
    UA-USA-JP
    Full Name:
    Ро&#1081
    That little modification to eliminate oil discharge is slick, otherwise they run an oil separator then plumb back into the york case.

20. mustardfj40

mustardfj40 Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Northen California
    Full Name:
    Ken
  21. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    All,

I'm not afraid to beat the horse to death. I want to put the correct oil in my York because I drained it like an idiot when I took it off can anyone point me to the correct oil for the yard compressor running R 12.

Thanks

22. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Mineral oil ...

23. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
  24. rjlloyd

rjlloyd Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Richard Lloyd
    If my memory serves me correctly , and I was a long time ago I was doing A/C work the mineral oil spec was 5GS and if converting to R134 the oil was changed to PAG -poly alkyl glycol oil

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

25. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I have not done it, but have been warned that IF moving to R134, the whole system should be resealed, every o ring, and then the flushing and conversion.

And of course at the end of the day 134 will be LESS effective than the original R12.
    A friend with Corvettes noticed this, quick fall off at stop lights of the 134 cooling, etc.

But I dont think simply flushing hoses and changing the oil type will work in our cars.

I found some old refrigerent tanks and gave them to him, sadly unlabeled.
    He knew immediately these were tanks off of a reclamation system, and was glad to have them, but as contenets were "unknown" the gas was worthless although probly (from the setting they were found) R12