Snow Plow Vehicle Suggestions | FerrariChat

Snow Plow Vehicle Suggestions

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by rockminster, Jan 1, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rockminster

rockminster Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2003
    Lake Tahoe
    I've recently relocated to the mountains and am dealing with the snow for the first time. Our house has a fairly long (~500 feet) driveway that's mostly level and straight. We get about 5-6 feet of snow per year - not crazy but enough that it can lock you in. There are driveway clearing services I can hire but they're unreliable and I don't want to be hostage to them.

I was thinking of getting a walk behind blower but I think the driveway is just too long. I'm wondering what's the best set-up to go with? I don't have a truck but am open to getting one to serve this purpose. What trucks and plows are best for what I need? What to avoid? Are there places that specialize in this type of set-up for light duty residential?

Thx!

2. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Any old Jeep with 4wd with a blade. Tuck it into a corner of your garage next to a door…..a straight shot out & return. Done. (keep it on a trickle charger). Worked fine in Incline for 20 years.

bball16, NYC Fred and Isobel like this.
  3. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    We have a straight plow (Hiniker) mounted to Jeep. Works great. Other choices are V and wing plows. A straight plow is easiest to use (so I hear--no experience with the other types) and the least expensive.

The plow is relatively easy to take on and off, so you also have use of a 4WD vehicle during the non-snow months. If I had it to do over again I would probably get a gas powered vehicle mounted snowblower. They are more, but they can solve the problem of "where to put the snow".

Isobel likes this.
  4. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
  5. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    If the only purpose of the vehicle is to push snow, a Jeep. Smaller, easy to park out of the way, easy to maneuver and turn around. And can be fun to cruise around on the summer.
    You can do an atv or side by side, but they cost as much as a used Jeep.

bball16 and NYC Fred like this.
  6. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    #6 Mule, Jan 5, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2022
    Plowing snow versus blowing it away. Plowing will lead to a big pile somewhere that keeps getting bigger and unmanageable. We prefer blowing to get it up and out of the way, so by winter's end there is still space to move snow.

A walk behind is too small for a 500' driveway. My 150' driveway takes two hours with a walk behind. This is a great option, but make sure there is a reputable repair place available or it becomes a boat anchor. Everything breaks down, and snowblowers only break in winter when you need them.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Ak Jim likes this.
  7. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    This is what happens when the snow piles up at the end of the drive at my neighbors house. This is from a big Dodge dually 400 series. He just couldn't push it farther back by winter's end. You can't just keep pushing it off the drive. Doesn't happen when you blow it.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    No kidding. We’ve gotten hammered this winter. I have a Honda HS828. The edges of the drive in some places are over 5’ tall. The key is the edge of the driveway is in the exact same place that it is in summer. And I have a really wide driveway, approximately 55’ at the widest part up next to the garage/ house. No way I could have used a plow.

bball16 likes this.
  9. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    5 or 6 feet of snow is a crap ton. Too long a driveway as well. I have a diesel Kubota 4WD tractor with a couple PTOs and a large front bucket and other implements and we get a fraction of the snow you get. But when it decides to snow big the only solution for a long private drive is to scoop it up and pile it wherever you like. Doesn't matter how long or much it snows. A couple steps up to the seat with a nice flat deck and keep your body out of the elements.

Doesn't make sense to pay for another vehicle to register, insure and maintain. A good tractor can be your best friend year round. Move any material - lumber, gravel, mulch, top soil, trees - and grade property or cut grass, seed the lawn, put in a fence, plant trees, etc. You'll find all kinds of thinks to do faster and wonder why you didn't get one sooner. I use mine to get up on the roof and clean gutters as well as transport water in the bucket to water trees or soften ground to dig. Drag the kids around on inner tubes in the snow. Lots of stuff.

Nativetroy, BJK and energy88 like this.