Started car, Lost Gauges & Power Steering (?) | FerrariChat

Started car, Lost Gauges & Power Steering (?)

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Mirek, Jan 6, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    Weird, the clock works, exterior lights will still pop up, all the buttons perform their functions (windows, lamps etc…) but I lost all of the gauges (speedometer, oil temp, even the odometer !) AND power steering.
    Check engine light is on.

2003 456M GTA
    25k.

Trans seemed to be slipping in overdrive at part throttle and by the time I got home the car was missing and running rough. I could not tell if the fans were coming on and/or if it was overheating.

Any thoughts ? Related to anything obvious?

This car just had a major service about 40 miles and 3 weeks ago but may not be related…this car is really starting to grind on me, it has been in the best shops in here in LA over 10x over JUST the last 2 years with an open check book and here we are once again. 25k miles on the clock, my wife delicately asked me if it was “a basket-case”. OUCH.

The 456 horror stories are real.

2. rhern213

rhern213 Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2021
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Richel
    Easiest to check there should definitely start at the battery/alternator.
    With the car turned off check if the battery is producing over 13v.
    Then with the car turned on it should be close to 14v or higher.

If both of those check out you can start trying to find other issues.

Mirek and Qavion like this.
  3. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Check fuse 20 in the passenger footwell

Wiring diagram here:

https://www.dropbox.com/t/kdEyVgYhBZLdfdWC

follow the green/white (VB) lines

The wires go to the instruments and to the alternator control circuits.

Mirek and Ferrari55whoa like this.
  4. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #rockstarcomment

Qavion likes this.
  5. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Of course, a faulty alternator or alternator wiring may have caused the fuse to blow in the first place.

Mirek likes this.
  6. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Sounds like it blew a belt off. P.S. is mechanical, not electrical. Those belts have a very specific tightening method and many shops do not even have the tool to do it.

When the diodes in those alternators go bad we have had them cause all sorts of trouble. My alternator guy made enough money off of me rebuilding those things he just retired. Also test the battery. Most of the cars that come through here have compromised batteries and that just makes the alternator work harder and kills it. They are a bit of a hand grenade. The alternator and battery are not why the other symptoms are happening but may be a root cause. You will not have at home the proper equipment to load test the battery and alternator so it will need to go somewhere. Few auto mechanics no matter at how skilled they may be are very up to speed diagnosing electrical issues. You need to find one of those. Many shops simply do not have one. Running at about 2500 RPM under load the alternator should be able to make about 120 amps over what the car needs to run. Shut off loaded to 150 amps the battery should not sink below 10.5 volts and when load turned off should spring back up to 12.5 or 13 volts pretty quickly. If your guy does not understand that find one who does.

Mirek, Ferrari55whoa and Qavion like this.
  7. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Also to the power steering Steering ECU (not shown in the wiring diagram above). I haven't been able to tie it into the Check Engine Light yet, but that may be related to the wonky volts coming out of the alternator (if it is turning at all.... See Brian's post).

Ferrari55whoa likes this.
  8. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    #8 Mirek, Jan 6, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2022

Interesting and thank you. Gran Turismo LA did my major service last month, I then had a TERRIBLE embarrassing squealing upon start-up. I had them tow it back (at my expense) and they said that they had to “fabricate” a tool to get the belt on right because it needed to be so tight. I thought that was very weird. Are there any questions I should have asked ? I assumed they used a sonic tool to verify tension.

Possibly related:
    I was having electrical issues so last year I asked Beverly Hills Ferrari to replace the alternator and they elected to have it rebuilt. I also installed a new battery at that time.and yes, those two failed in concert, one after the other.

I really do appreciate all of the helpful comments and direction, I am going to actually crib all of these comments and provide them to the shop. I get that is not very cool BUT an open checkbook and all the patience in the world has not been working for me at all during this 3 year journey so I do not care.

When I first joined here I mentioned that we really are left to our own devices (here) and to some extent that really is true. I work in the Service Division for a Major OEM (dealer facing too) and many people simply do not understand how difficult repairing these older cars can become due a lack of tools, experience and training for a car they built 3,000 of 20 years ago. Parts availability aside !

9. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Loss of steering ecu does not mean loss of power steering. The steering effort goes up a little at low speeds is all.

Mirek likes this.
  10. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #10 Rifledriver, Jan 7, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2022
    I know most of the shops in California. I was in the Ferrari business there for 37 or 38 years. Never heard of them. Your story about the belts does nothing to create confidence.

11. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Brian I wish you were closer to Missouri I would ship all my fcars to you.

Mirek likes this.
  12. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    You mean it’s not like a reversion to a manual rack?

That’s a good clue. I guess Mirek will have to comment on how much assist was lost.

13. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    I would happily have shipped my car to Brian in Texas from CA.
    Happily.

Is that really an option ?

14. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    #14 Mirek, Jan 7, 2022
    If you have any recommendation on a mechanic please PM me. I wish I would have thought to ask. I have attempted to establish relationships with 2 shops and 1 dealership, each one was better then the last but none has managed to fix anything on attempt #1 or #2 and each has resulted in multiple comebacks.

*Also it MUST be the steering ECU as my steering was “hard” at low speeds but seemed reasonable (not perfect) at speed…right ?

Electrical gremlins are the worst, when the car was down for a major I asked that they take a look at some electronic issues I was having. It just did not happen, I do get it because people are busy though.

15. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    It depends on how hard. The steering on my unassisted Lotus Esprit was heavy… some muscle/shoulder effort required at parking speeds as the tyres were wide, but the car was relatively light compared to a 456 and there was no engine sitting over the front axle. At speed though, it was magic.

16. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    456 with no power steering feels almost like steering is locked. Really undriveable.

Ferrari55whoa and Qavion like this.
  17. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I get cars from all over the country but have a backlog.

Eugenios has a good reputation. GTO Engineering has a guy with a good reputation. Ferrari in Newport Beach the guy who does their Classiche work is an old friend and I know the shop foreman. He knows what hes dong. Rod Drew at FAI is very good with electrical.

18. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Oh no, not at all. You would likely crash the car. It can be steered but just barely.

Ferrari55whoa and Qavion like this.
  19. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    I lost most assistance at low speeds, as the car got faster the steering was much more manageable (like 75% power steering) you could tell it was not ALL there. It drove fine for about 11 miles and then started running real rough. The A/C worked fine which was weird.

Tow truck coming Monday, we were hoping to have it for our Palm Springs trip next Sat but alas…

Driving 11 miles with the odometer not recording it was certainly weird !

Qavion likes this.
  20. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #20 Qavion, Jan 7, 2022
    Thanks.

I see that the accessory drive belt powers just about everything...

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Aircon compressor, alternator, water pump, power steering...

So it's looking more like an electrical problem. Did you check that fuse? It might save you some towing expenses if nothing else. You'd still need to get the electrical system checked.

It's a 5 amp, orange fuse.

21. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    No it has 2. WP and PS on one. AC and Alt on the other. If the PS belt came off it would have overheated soon.

Mirek, Ferrari55whoa and Qavion like this.
  22. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell

ooops... back to square one.

A 3D pic required...

Seems easy enough to check.

23. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Another thing I'd check. I would think there would be some other symptoms.

There have been quite a few instances of the rubber in the vibration damper going bad. These dampers are a different than normal design. The crankshaft drives the center portion obviously but the belts are driven by the outer ring. When the rubber goes bad the belt drive does not keep up with the crankshaft. Probably an electrical problem but looking at the damper can't hurt.

Mirek, Qavion and Ferrari55whoa like this.
  24. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    Ian, thanks for putting the image of the fuse box and location of the fuse up. I have never accessed it before. (My drop box was full so I could not download your previous link !)

I just ran out to look and here is what I found, seems to be OK.

Qavion likes this.
  25. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #25 Qavion, Jan 7, 2022
    ah.. pity....

To be sure it's ok (and you haven't got an ohmmeter), just swap it with the orange "parking lights" fuse (position 14)

So.... possibly an alternator problem again? Or what Brian said.

Mirek and Ferrari55whoa like this.