308 GT4 Brake Pedal Assembly Failure | FerrariChat

308 GT4 Brake Pedal Assembly Failure

Discussion in '308/328' started by roccopof, Dec 17, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. roccopof

roccopof Karting

Jul 10, 2006
    Oakland
    Full Name:
    Rocco
    The other day while driving my 1975 308 gt4, I felt the brake pedal go dead all of a sudden. At first I thought the booster had failed but then I noticed a bolt on the floor mat and I realized that it fell from the brake pedal assembly. I was able to reinsert the bolt in the correct pivot but after driving a bit it fell again.
    It's obviously missing a securing pin but I have no idea what kind of pin it is and you're supposed to secure it. I can push the bolt up into the assembly but there's no access on top where the pin hole is.
    Does anybody know how to properly secure and install this bolt?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. miked

miked Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    That's not a bolt, it's a pin. A cotter pin goes in the small hole. Number 38 on the diagram. Just take your pin to a hardware store and get a cotter pin to fit.

roccopof likes this.
  3. roccopof

roccopof Karting

Jul 10, 2006
    Oakland
    Full Name:
    Rocco
    Thank you for the info, I’ll look for a cotter pin.

4. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    I think you might find it easier to access it through the removable plate on the top of the pedal assembly than sitting on your head and dropping a cotter pin in your eye.

waymar, roccopof and dinogt4guy like this.
  5. BLACK HORSE

BLACK HORSE Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2004
    California - Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Just very recent, I too reassembled my peddle assembly and wasn't able to feed this pin through the top as the diagram is showing, so I installed it upside down and add a thick cotter-pin and bent the tails around both sides of the pin to keep it form coming back out during brake operation... I still had some concerns with this to be honest. The pin slightly to tall to go through the access inspection plate as Brian stated.

6. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    It could also be #36 since it fell on the floor mat

7. miked

miked Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Just to be clear, #36 is the pivot pin in the OP's photo, #38 is the cotter pin that he was missing.
    We haven't heard back if he fixed his problem.

8. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    There are actually three #36 clevis pins in that SPC diagram -- the OP didn't say, but it must be the one that connects item #31 to the brake pedal arm #9 that fell out (as the other two #36 have gravity working in their favor to keep them in place even with no cotter pin present).

9. roccopof

roccopof Karting

Jul 10, 2006
    Oakland
    Full Name:
    Rocco
    I was able to fix it but had to insert the main pin from below and then add the cotter pin from the access plate, so I guess it is upside down. Not sure if this is how it was originally installed.

10. roccopof

roccopof Karting

Jul 10, 2006
    Oakland
    Full Name:
    Rocco
    Looking at the diagram, I believe the pin in question is #66.

11. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Such an unlikely failure. I’d give a close look at the others

NYC Fred likes this.
  12. miked

miked Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    #66 (part #16044321, "vite fiss.") is a screw that holds the large casting to the car body, right rear position. "vite" is "screw" in Italian, "fiss." seems to relate to secured, stabilized, permanent depending on what "fiss." was an abbreviation for.

#68, also a vite, holds the left rear corner and #42 (2 required), "bullone" (bolt) the two forward corners of the casting. Then again the diagram may be valid only on the day that it was drawn. A week later the casting may have been held down with 4 pop rivets and some bubble gum. Life with an Italian car can be quite challenging at times.

13. roccopof

roccopof Karting

Jul 10, 2006
    Oakland
    Full Name:
    Rocco
    I now realize I read the diagram wrong. The pin that fell is part #36 on the right (by #64). I will take a photo when I get a chance.

miketuason likes this.
  14. roccopof

roccopof Karting

Jul 10, 2006
    Oakland
    Full Name:
    Rocco
  15. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    I realize that you are probably already tired of messing with this, but did you try removing the other Clevis Pin to allow moving the linkage as described in this jpeg to get access to install the Clevis Pin that fell out in the correct (safer) direction?:

If you do stay with the Clevis Pin installed upside down, I'd recommend:

1. Use a flat washer between the Cotter Pin and the Arm surface that it is presently contacting (the Clevis Pin should be long enough to accommodate this), and

2. Use a Cotter Pin with a larger diameter that more closely matches the hole size in the Clevis Pin.

roccopof likes this.
  16. roccopof

roccopof Karting

Jul 10, 2006
    Oakland
    Full Name:
    Rocco
    i will try this procedure. Thank you