Winter..... | FerrariChat

Winter.....

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Sargepug, Jan 7, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Sargepug

Sargepug Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2020
    NYC
    My 458 hasn't been on the road in about 2 months, due to the temp drops, elements, salt, etc. Today, winter really hit the NYC area, in our first storm of the year. I am in the northern end of NYC Metro, so we got about 6". I don't foresee myself driving her till end of March or so, which is typical for me anyway. I keep her at my main residence, on a multi stage Ctek tender, in a heated garage kept at 50 and a floor that has tiles over the concrete floor. My question is, do you guys start yours up at least once a month and get her to temp and juice the throttle a little or totally leave her idle? IMO, I am for the former not the latter. I'm pushing 52, so in my years, I have surmised that less utilization of a machine, is detrimental in every aspect....

Caeruleus11 and srtullio like this.
  2. srtullio

srtullio Karting

Mar 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I'm not too sure what this "Winter" thing that you mentioned is...but if I were you I would start the car once a every couple of weeks and let it idle a bit to come to temp. I've never been a fan of revving the engine of a car that hasnt been driven.

Caeruleus11 and Viperjoe like this.
  3. ShadowLAP

ShadowLAP Formula Junior

May 15, 2017
    SW Suburbs of Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Lawrence P.
    #3 ShadowLAP, Jan 7, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2022
    I never start my cars after the start of winter storage. I am concerned about the moisture build up in the car, not only the exhaust and oil that drains off the cylinder walls. I just do not think you can burn off the moisture idling in a garage, the same as if you are driving it. I would also be concerned about all of those starts on possibly dry cylinder walls I've been following this process for my three Summer-only cars for decades with no problem. They always start right up on the Spring. The cars are always on a battery tender and Sta-Bil in the fuel tank. I treat the rubber gaskets to prevent them from drying out and cracking, condition the leather in the interior, fill the tires to 50lbs and use cradles. It really is such a short period of downtime. I would not start the car.

jm2, Wikdstrate, Need4Spd and 2 others like this.
  4. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Don't start it ..don't touch it ..keep in charger and you should overinflate the tires ..put 40 45 psi in them or whatever the tire side wall says is the max

Add a few boxes of Arm and hammer flow thru boxes on floor

I assume rodents are not an issue

Then come back in spring ..check pressure ..look to make no visible leaks ..start it up ..warm up a little(2 to 3 mins).listen for anything strange ..then drive nice and easy for 7 miles then open her up

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

5. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Unfortunately idling will probably never bring oil to the temp to burn off moisture ..hence the recommendation of leaving it alone.. our crankcases are pretty air tight ..so even the oil will not get any moisture from the surrounding air if left untouched ..once you start it fuel and water get into the oil and if you don't run it to at least boiling point (which is a struggle even when you push the cars ) that will remain in the oil and do more damage

I have a number of cars that go to sleep sometimes more than i care to mention ..

The next biggest issue is gas ..once you go beyond 6 months or a year ..best to throw a good additive in there like bg44 or Seafoam and at least 5 gallons or fresh gas .. and run gently until empty then fill with fresh gas

srtullio and ShadowLAP like this.
  6. PMiranda

PMiranda Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Ethanol in the gas is a real issue to worry about. If you can’t run ethanol free gas for a few days before storage, you will want a stabilizer specifically made for gas with ethanol.

SD455TA likes this.
  7. srtullio

srtullio Karting

Mar 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Good information. Shows you what a socal boy like me knows about winter storage lol.

Sargepug likes this.
  8. Sargepug

Sargepug Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2020
    NYC
    Of course you don't, your from LA!!!!! lol
    It's a storage thing and when I have her to temp, I keep the rpms low, because revving a car in park makes 4k rpm like 8k....

9. Sargepug

Sargepug Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2020
    NYC
    I guess the consensus here, is to leave her alone.....

Chizz likes this.
  10. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Leave it alone. 40 lbs. (not max). Clean, detail and cover. Full tank. Stabilizer if you feel like it (short term). Say good night.

11. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    For me, full detail, car cover, battery tender attached but no car start until spring.

Paul Kane likes this.
  12. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Agree with this. Living in Michigan :eek:the weather from Dec -March is problematic at best. I have never in my 30 yr of Ferrari ownership started my cars during their 'hibernation' period. The car just wont have an opportunity to get good and warm. You risk more problems with condensation. Hook up the battery tender, fill the gas tank, add some air to the tires and be done with it. March will be here soon enough.

13. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    You could also stick a note on the steering wheel to remind the tires are over inflated.

IF you are going to start the car then make sure you get the oil up to temp- you can hold lowish RPMs but dont sit there “free revving” the engine.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

14. Spezia

Spezia Karting

Dec 15, 2019
    Full Name:
    John Weires
    I have followed the same winter storage procedure you do on many different cars and have yet to have a problem with a car starting up and running properly come spring.

15. 020147

020147 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2006
    Midwest
    My 488 is sitting on flat stoppers, the tires are at 50 PSI, on a tender of course and the garage is 55. I will not start it until it’s time to take it in for spring service. I don’t see any benefit to dry starting the engine periodically throughout the winter.

16. RS458

RS458 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2020
    Arizona
    It is currently 11 degrees in NY. Roads are clear and dry, but obviously cold. My car has been sitting for the last couple of months. I understand not starting it if you are only going to let it idle. But what is the general feeling about taking it out occasionally and bringing it up to temperature rather than just letting it sit, even in the cold? Better or worse than just letting it sit until the spring.

17. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Better .. as long as you see oil temp over 175 ..Do a spirited drive ....you might hear a few more creaks until it gets warm. Most cars if not all love cold brisk air once warmed up

Cold day like today will take 15;or mile miles to get up to temp at least .

18. fazooley

fazooley Formula Junior

Apr 15, 2005
    I took the 458 out yesterday and im in NYC like you. Went for a nice ride to Short Hills to grab a few things before Miami at the end of the week. Don't get me wrong I get not taking this thing out in the snow and whatnot, but the car wont melt in the winter LOL. Since my car was delivered one month ago I knew I couldn't go months without driving it. I threw a set of Pirelli Sottozerro 3's on the car and now don't have to worry about the roads as much. Even in this extremely cold weather the oil got up to temp within 5 minutes, the tires however never really got over 100 although considering they actually have tread patterns and are made for cold climates, im nowhere near as worries as if I was running on the summers

Chizz and jm2 like this.
  19. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I'm also in NY, and try to use it all winter long, as long as the streets are dry and salt free.
    However, I run on summer tires, so I drive like a little old lady in the winter (<45 degrees). Summer tires can feel like they are riding on ice when very cold! (Especially if they are older, or Pirellis)