Door "T" Weather Stripping | FerrariChat

Door "T" Weather Stripping

Discussion in '206/246' started by Ken Ivey, Jan 16, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ken Ivey

Ken Ivey Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 6, 2013
    Portland, OR, USA
    Full Name:
    Ken Ivey
    I'm reaching out to the group because I've been unable to find a thread on installing the weather stripping at the front of the door, filling the gap between the front fender and door. I've seen it referred to as "T" weather stripping or "Center Seal". When I clamp it in place with the curved, metal piece, I've been unable to get it to go under the fender as intended. Any suggestions or installation techniques to get it to go under the fender?

As always - thanks,

Ken

2. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Hi Ken,
    Yes, the rubber can rotate by a small amount once clamped in place made tougher due to the curve.
    I've used a dab of glue to get the rubber at the correct angle so it slips inside the front guard when the door closes, taped in place until it dries.
    A dab of silicone when assembling it probably works, can't recall what I used.

regards, Andrew

3. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    The new rubber is thicker than the original. I had one piece of original T-rubber and it slipped right in and closed perfectly. The new rubber was a pain.

4. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    The new rubber is a huge pain to install and takes a LONG time to find its final resting place. I had to lube the seal with silicone grease for months before the seal will cleanly slip under the door and not bulge outwards. Once set it looks and works perfectly but it takes a very long time for the seals to settle into position.

5. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    I ended up making a little jig to shave the "T" part down and it kind of worked but I think I found a T-rubber at Restoration Specialties that might work better. It is part number 4530 with a 9/32" head by 3/4". The depth of 3/4" is the same as my original. The Cicognani seal is closer to 1" which is no big deal but the overly thick head is a real headache. I am going to order some and will report back.

6. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Ken, this seal is a meg PITA to get right as you are finding out. Everyone has the same problem.

I made about 4 or 5 very small cuts (bead end) about 4mm long, approx 30mm apart in the rubber that sits in the clamp. This allows the rubber to rotate slightly and stops it flipping up when clamped in situ.

I also chamfered the top edge at a very small angle, possibly 10deg and 50mm long so its guided under the fender (wing)

Trial and error i am afraid but its not noticeable at all if done carefully.

7. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    As mentioned that seal is a challenge to install and it doesn't make it easier if the recess is filled with rust, old paint and other debris. It is easier to install the seal if the door is taken off the car. The trick is to thoroughly clean the recess and stretch the seal while pulling it through to make it dimensional smaller. I used silicone oil i wast amount. Once the seal is in place you want to make it turn towards the inside of the door. On one side of my car I also used tape in one place for a couple of month to keep it from "jumping" out. It worked very well and I have had no issues since. Good luck.

Best, Peter

8. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Here is a comparison of the original seal on the left and the larger new style seal. You can see why it is hard to install. The original just slips into place.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

dgt likes this.
  9. Ken Ivey

Ken Ivey Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 6, 2013
    Portland, OR, USA
    Full Name:
    Ken Ivey
    I've been silent while working on the weather-strip I had. It was definitely the thicker version as shown above. Wheels of Italy has a thinner version which I ordered. I'm not sure it is the size of the original, but far better than what I had. I started by curling the material up like a tube and bound it with twine to begin "training" it. That gave the material a modest bend. Once it is in place, it will still wouldn't go under the fender. I then took some of the thicker material, turned it upside down and aligned it with the area that wasn't going under the fender. By closing the door, trying not to pinch my fingers, it forced the weather-strip down. I did that for 2 to 3 weeks and I think it's finally trained. I just don't intend to leave the door open for extended period and let it relax.

Fortunately, running the weather-strip down the channel at the front of the door was not a problem. There was no rust or issues. A friend gave me a good hint, I used dish soap as a lubricant. It's slick and actually become fairly hard when it dries.

Thanks so much for the advice - that's my report. Here's the source for the smaller/thinner weather-strip...

https://shopwoi.com/collections/246/products/ferrari-dino-206-246-gt-lh-rh-door-front-center-seal?variant=11945095430

pshoejberg likes this.
  10. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    If I’m not mistaken, these are same/similar seals as used in front of Daytona doors and having replaced them on few cars, I can’t imagine anyone attempting to do it without removing the doors, even if just for the replacement of this seal.

11. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Edit:

pshoejberg likes this.
  12. Ken Ivey

Ken Ivey Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 6, 2013
    Portland, OR, USA
    Full Name:
    Ken Ivey
    I tried pushing the seal down the channel from the top, but it stalled about halfway. The Dino has a removable bulkhead in front of the door - it holds the light switch. When removed, someone with relatively small hands can get a fingertip grip on the seal, just enough to pull it down the remainder of the channel. I am such a person :)

13. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ken, The Wheels Of Italy seal looks to be from Cicognani which is the larger seal in my picture. Do you have the Cicognani seal and the Wheels of Italy seal and they are different? Both carry the same Cicognani number.

14. Ken Ivey

Ken Ivey Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 6, 2013
    Portland, OR, USA
    Full Name:
    Ken Ivey
    I don't know where the first seals I had came from - purchased by a friend who was helping. I found them at Wheels of Italy and ordered theirs. When it arrived, the difference was inline with the pictures you posted. I've tried to duplicate your picture, but couldn't get it right - shadows made it hard to compare. I can't say the Wheels of Italy seal is the same as original - not having an original to compare, but it is much better than what we purchased earlier.

15. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    I think I have developed an easy fix to the problem described in this thread. My RHS door to fender seal have had a small bulb since initial installation and I've kept it down with a small piece of tape. The lack of engineering in that solution has been a thorn in my eyes since day one and yesterday I tried something else. It's a non-destructive and cost-effective solution that can be implemented in 10 minutes and will work after 24 hrs drying time. You only need a few millilitres of high-quality rubber-based sealing / clue and a piece of thick carboard and some painter’s tape. I roughed the seal on the backside with some sanding paper before applying the rubber-based sealing compound to enhance adhesion. The pictures below speak for them self:

Sergio Tavares likes this.
  16. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    itsat34 and GermanDino like this.
  17. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    So it turns out the new rubber that came for my E-series just won't go in no matter how hard I try (cutting them down etc).
    I'm on the hunt for a smaller/thinner seal like the original, I may have the original in a box somewhere to compare.
    I took a look through Cicognani's profile page and couldn't find anything.
    Did anyone find a smaller seal?

18. Sergio Tavares

Sergio Tavares Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2018
    Full Name:
    Sergio Tavares
    pshoejberg likes this.
  19. Sergio Tavares

Sergio Tavares Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2018
    Full Name:
    Sergio Tavares