599GTO gearbox | FerrariChat

599GTO gearbox

Discussion in '612/599' started by Ahtim, Dec 8, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ahtim

Ahtim Karting

Nov 8, 2018
    HK/China/England
    Full Name:
    W
    Hi, anyone here that own both 599GTO and 430scuderia, I realize that although that both are the same single clutch box, but the actual shift speed are not that much the same, the GTO shifts a bit faster, especially on downshifts, anyone can share if they feel the same?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

2. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    They aren’t the same gearbox at all I’m afraid. The control systems are very similar, but there are a lot of hardware differences. Two different families of gearbox, both from Graziano.

FYI 599’s use twin plate clutches too (though in principle this is much the same as a single plate clutch).

FIN612 likes this.
  3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Robin- F430s have twin disc clutches, too. About the only thing the Scud/16M and 599 GTO share is the Superfast 2 software for the F1 system. Ferrari quotes the same 60 ms min shift time for both, although there are likely detail differences. The GTO transaxle is built to take substantially more torque than the F430 box.

4. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Taz, I had it in my head that 430's used a twin plate clutch, but I didn't want to go out on a limb.

It can confuse people saying twin plate too, as its often mixed up with a dual clutch setup, but was more to clarify that the GTO doesn't use a single plate.

5. Ahtim

Ahtim Karting

Nov 8, 2018
    HK/China/England
    Full Name:
    W
    Dealer flushed the system and reset the system and a back to back test drive with gto, I have to say it’s pretty much the same now

Makuono likes this.
  6. MRY

MRY Formula Junior

May 14, 2015
    Monterey Peninsula
    If you can actually feel the difference between 100 ms and 60 ms shift you are one talented person!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SonomaRik and Rifledriver like this.
  7. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    WELL, one hits like a freight train and the other is a bit softer. You can't feel the time difference but you can definitely feel the engagement difference. Shifting my 599 in race near redline and it feels like the clutch never moved and it just banged into gear. Do the same in sport and a few less revs, the engagement is hard but not nearly the same.

Texas Forever likes this.
  8. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Cool. So you go from 0-60 40ms quicker? I know how much that would improve my life.

MRY and Targatime like this.
  9. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    It isn’t that. It is the thrill. I drive for the thrill and challenge. Not because I am x faster. I know there are much faster than me. I just go enough to challenge myself.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

Texas Forever and Caphill like this.
  10. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    yes I own both and while they are different they have much the same feel...one is a V12 and one is a V8 so the shifts will feel different they both have the SF2 software which gives a 60MS shift speed..and they both have that mechnical feel which I really like.. I will say as far as I know these are the only two with this shifter in them

Texas Forever likes this.
  11. Ahtim

Ahtim Karting

Nov 8, 2018
    HK/China/England
    Full Name:
    W
    Yes, agree, I did many back to back driving in both street abs track, so both low rev and high rev, and I have to say I still feel that the downshift speed/reaction on scud is slower than gto, GTO’s downshift speed/reaction are faster than scud, I wonder if u feel the same, my clutch remaining on gto are 6x% and scud are 4x%, I wonder if that could cause the problem