Brake Duct Hose Replacement | FerrariChat

Brake Duct Hose Replacement

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by rhern213, May 24, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rhern213

rhern213 Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2021
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Richel
    #1 rhern213, May 24, 2021
    Last edited: May 24, 2021
    Hi all, this weekend I replaced the brake duct hoses on my 550 and thought it'd be helpful to write up a quick how-to for anyone else interested in doing the job. This should apply to most, if not all Ferrari's of this era.

The job is fairly simple, with some prep-work it can be done in a couple of hours, especially if you use the OEM ducts that are pre-cut to fit. However my intention was to use higher quality aircraft ducts because they're much more durable than OEM, are 1/6 the price, and easy to purchase any time. I could only find 1 OEM duct available at the time that wasn't a special order for $200. Each of the aircraft grade ducts are $30. So this may come in handy for the future if they're NLA.

The main problem with the OEM ducts is they're single layered, the internal metal wire that holds the hose shape together is exposed to the elements and easily gets rusted, plus the single layer is easier to tear over time and use. The aircraft duct is double layered so the metal wire is covered on the outside and inside to prevent rusting, plus the rubber material itself is more durable and will hold up to stiffening and heat much better than the OEM material.

The most time consuming part is actually just cutting the hoses to the proper length and then needing to pull the metal wire lining out from the hose at the edges.

The only parts needed are the hose ducting (2 x 2.5ft.) 3-1/4in. diameter hose, and shrink tubing to fit around the hose ends for an OEM look and fit. The shrink tubes I just picked up at a local hardware shop. This is the hose duct I purchased:

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pnpages/05-30513-3.php

The other item you need is a heat gun to properly install the shrink tube around the duct hose.

This is what happened to my OEM hoses:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

This is what the OEM hose looks like inside:

This is what the new aircraft hose looks like:

So here are the steps:
    1. Each hose needs to be cut to 2.5ft. total length.

2. On each end you then need to strip out about 3-4in. of the metal wire.
    (This is to make the ends flexible to fit into the ducts and reshape properly)

3. Cut shrink wrap tube to the same 3-4in width as the ends of the hose

4. Jack up front and remove front wheels

5. Remove front undertray and front wheel well liner.

6. Unscrew metal hose clamps from both ends and pull out old duct hose

The passenger side front duct is difficult to maneuver around because the coolant tank is right underneath.
    You can unscrew the bottom coolant tank bracket to loosen it up and make it easier to fit your hands around and work on the duct.

7. Remove plastic air duct attached to the control arm.

play2win, Oengus, NE550 and 1 other person like this.
  2. rhern213

rhern213 Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2021
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Richel
    8. Slide in the new hose to the front bumper air duct
    (Remember to slide the clamps and shrink tube in before installing the new hoses)

9. Slide shrink tube over the end of the hose duct.
    10. Apply heat gun to shrink tube to tighten and fit around air duct.
    11. Slide clamp over shrink tube end and tighten

12. Repeat the above on the other end near the brake side.
    (The hose should be attached, shrink wrapped, and tied down before you reinstall the air duct to the control arm)

13. Reinstall all panels and complete.

Hopefully this helps anyone thinking of doing the work. I'd be happy to advise of any specific questions.

Mirek, NE550, white out and 5 others like this.
  3. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Nice write-up, Richel.

rhern213 likes this.
  4. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Some great tips, thanks, Richel (especially using aircraft ducting).

Isn't that the windscreen washer reservoir? ;)

rhern213 likes this.
  5. rhern213

rhern213 Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2021
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Richel
    :eek: oops, good correction!

6. rhern213

rhern213 Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2021
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Richel
    Thanks!

7. Davidspop

Davidspop Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Lance Malcolm
    Good stuff right here. I need to replace both brake ducts on the front of my 456GT..... this is a great alternative!

rhern213 likes this.
  8. fatauto

fatauto Rookie

May 1, 2018
    CT
    Full Name:
    Adam R. Roina
    This is great. My dad's 550 had standard clothing dryer hose installed by the pervious owner. Its always drives me crazy. Just ordered some of the hose you found. NICE WORK!
    Adam

rhern213 likes this.
  9. Aerosurfer

Aerosurfer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Great thread! Exactly the tutoriali hoped for!

Was 2.5' hose plenty for each side or did you have to stretch.. in other words can i get away with ordering 1 five foot length and cutting myself or should i go for 2 three foot sections?

3 inch shrink tubing? Or larger?

rhern213 likes this.
  10. rhern213

rhern213 Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2021
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Richel
    1 x 5-ft hose is all you need and just cut once straight down the middle. I got 2 x 3-ft hoses just to be safe but I saw afterwards it was not necessary and had to cut them down to 2.5-ft anyway.
    Shrink tubing should be at least 4" to fit over the hose, anything smaller will be a pain to slide into place.

11. Aerosurfer

Aerosurfer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Did thia last night. Nice project. Couple observations or techniques for anyone else about to take this on.

My car is a 456GT

The 3 1/4" ducting is great stuff, very durable, but also slightly oversized

Definitely dont remove too much wire from the new tubes. I extraced out about 3+ inches from each end and wish i had left more. Made it a little sloppy sliding the ends on.

When removing the wire, i first tried to split the inner and outter layers, but ultimately trimmed out the inner layer, as it was just easier to work with sliding only 1 layer into place on each end

Left side was extremely tight getting around the oil reservoir and hoses. Like really tight, had to manhandle the new tube to get enough forward towards the bumper. Easy enough to slide things into place and get the clamp back on.

On the right side there is nearly no room to access the bumper side hookup, as stated above. I couldn't see a reasonable way even moving the Washer reservoir would help, nor a place to move it. Too many other things in the way. Perhaps this is a 456 vs 550 difference

I already have my front driving light removed for replacement, and that hole geve me perfect space to access the clamp and get the tube installed.

Again right side was tight around the power steering reservoir. To give myself a little more room, i unscrewed 2 sensors attached to the PS bracket. This helped immensly. Installing the hose this time i 'theaded' the tube into place by spinning it. That worked much better than force. The toughest part of that one was trying to balance the clamp from underneath, basically with a fingertip, while reaching through the bumper with my other hand and wrachet to tighten.

Working underneath my lift, i left the wheels on and didnt need to remove the metal duct at the wheel assembly. Removing the forward wheel liner was a real help.

Glad this is done! Old hoses were trashed, and even the untouched portions pretty much fell apart when removed
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Oengus, pchop, kevinkw and 1 other person like this.
  12. rhern213

rhern213 Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2021
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Richel
    @Aerosurfer Awesome update!
    Interesting to see the fitment differences between the 550 and 456. At least now both cars are covered!
    I didn't even consider doing the job with the wheels still on, but I don't have a lift so the wheels would be very annoying to just maneuver your body around otherwise.
    Good thing on the right side at least it's easy to remove the headlights for anyone doing the 456, I too had to pull off the painful holding the clamp with 1 finger while tightening! :D

13. Davidspop

Davidspop Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Lance Malcolm
    @Aerosurfer did you heat the shrink tubing on the ends before you installed? How did you do that without shrinking the ducting too much? I am ordering now for my 456..... Thanks, Lance

14. rhern213

rhern213 Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2021
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Richel
    I suggest you pre-shrink it before installing, not completely of course, just to leave enough play to easily slide it back in. The main reason is you can't apply direct heat to the top area, so it might shrink unevenly. To help that though I tried spinning it as I applied heat to make it more even. Second reason is it just saves you a ton of time and comfort doing it off the car. It shrinks very slowly so you'll be able to control it easily.

Ferrari55whoa likes this.
  15. kevinkw

kevinkw Karting

Apr 19, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Thanks Nick! My front passenger side hose is also in similar condition. Trying to figure out what I need to do.
    What did you need to remove to access the hose?
    It sounded like it was a really tight space, any additional tips?
    If lots of stuff need to be moved, replace both?

16. Aerosurfer

Aerosurfer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Nick
    I removed the front lower tray and had both parking light assemblies out, and if I remember correctly, I also had the forward wheel well panel removed on each side. I would also put the headlights up and turn off the power at the battery switch, it should give a little more room to reach in.

I didn’t and I am paying for it now…. When I did my tubes, I didn’t remove the wheels and instead did it all from underneath while it was on my lift. I was able to muscle them on, but it’s a weird fitment with oblong angles and different turns. Both sides have started tearing again. I will see if I can salvage it with the shrink, but likely will redo it next winter and properly fit the brake sides with the wheels off. Live and learn… like so much on these cars, no repair is necessarily quick or always direct, but doing right is still the best way.

17. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Great work! Where do you source the ducts?

18. Aerosurfer

Aerosurfer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Auraraptor and 308 GTB like this.
  19. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Update: the original part for the 456 (i.e. 177780) is now officially NLA.

I went ahead and bought 5 ft of CEET-13 DUCTING (3 1/4" ID) per your recommendation to split in half. Thanks :)

rhern213 likes this.
  20. Lionworks Auto

Lionworks Auto Formula 3

Oct 16, 2013
    Worthington OH
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Love this forum for threads like this! I also followed the recipe on my 456M and installed the very nice aircraft spruce ducting. Here’s pix of my journey. I ended up keeping the wires continuing to the ends on the ducts and overlaying the shrink tape. They compressed just fine around the inlet profiles and don’t see an issue / but maybe I’ll get surprised. Thanks to the OP and Aerosurfer for all this and so much more!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

pchop, scowman and Aerosurfer like this.
  21. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Very nice. Did you use 4in/100mm shrink tubing or larger?

Lionworks Auto likes this.
  22. Aerosurfer

Aerosurfer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Fantastic work!

23. scowman

scowman F1 Rookie

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    Love the shrink ducting.

24. rhern213

rhern213 Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2021
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Richel
    Awesome fellas, nice to see this stuff's still working!

25. Lionworks Auto

Lionworks Auto Formula 3

Oct 16, 2013
    Worthington OH
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Following another threads recommendation I used 4” diameter and it worked great. Any will do.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat