Seiko quality? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Seiko quality?

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by rdefabri, Jul 20, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Got a notice today that they got the watch. Repair/service is free but they're charging me for a new stem and crown. Not sure why I get charged for warranty work replacement parts. And a $10 service fee. I dunno but if I get it back working properly for less than $40 I guess I'll be happy.

2. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    So far they are exceeding my expectations. They say the watch is now in repair and should ship back to me within a few days. They send an email every time it moves through the process, I like the communication at least. We'll see how well the repair goes when I get it back. :)

3. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    I will be very surprised if you aren't totally happy with Seiko. They have great pride in their history as a watch maker.

4. Gle8

Gle8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

This. I just bought my first grand seiko, and the quality far surpasses my rolex.

5. AEHaas

AEHaas Formula 3

May 9, 2003
    Osprey, Florida
    Full Name:
    Ali E. Haas
    Three weeks into my new Grand Seiko Spring Drive 600m dive watch. 'Not one second off with 24/7 use in at times a rough environment.
    Ali
    Better catalog picture...

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Gle8 and Jdubbya like this.
  6. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Well if nothing else the service department is fast. Watch is on it's way back to me. Should be here in a couple days and we'll see how well they fixed 'er up.

7. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    #32 Jdubbya, Jan 28, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2022
    Got my watch back and it seems to be working well. I can adjust the time and date. They said the stem was broken and they had to replace it and the crown? Apparently those parts aren't covered under warranty? Oh well, it was like $50 plus what it cost me to ship it there. They were very good about communicating, they let me know when it got there, when it went to the tech to repair it, and when it shipped back. All in it was just a bit over two weeks which, in this day and age, seems very fast to me.

If you have a Seiko that needs service they have a page where they'll give you an estimate on repair cost by movement....

https://www.seikoserviceusa.com/pages/serviceprice/

greg328 likes this.
  8. MyBackHurts

MyBackHurts Rookie

Aug 11, 2021
    My every day watch is based on an nh35a.
    Can't say enough nice things about seiko movements and putting them on the timegrapher they perform as well if not better than etas.

Top that off with the facts that:
    1. If you have an issue you can completely replace the movement for under 100 bucks (contrast that with routine services for swiss divers)
    and
    2. You can design the watch however you want it (hands, dial, bezel, case) as a true one off

I don't see myself ever switching.

9. action-ant

action-ant Karting

Nov 16, 2015
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    Hey guys,

I've got an old 6139 that needs servicing. Anyone in the Bay Area CA that can recommend a local watch shop?

Thanks,

Ant

10. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Well, not sure what to think now. After getting the watch back I can wear it most of the day and it keeps ok time. But as soon as I take it off and lay it down overnight it falls 5-10 minutes behind. I wore it all day the other day then even went so far as to wind it manually before laying it down. Nope, same thing. No reason why a pretty new watch should be doing this, and it didn't do it before I sent it in. Supposed to be a 70 hour power reserve and before I had it repaired it would stay going and keeping accurate time for at least a couple days.

So did they fix one thing and screw something else up? I dunno but I guess I'm gonna pay to send it back in.

11. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Well disappointed that I had to ship the watch back to New Joisy again. At least this time I saved the box they sent it back to me in just a few weeks back. ;) Another $30 to ship it. We'll see what they say when they get it this time, better not be stem and crown again. :eek::(

12. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    They seem to be efficient. I'd rather have thoroughness and competency instead of expediency though. Watch is there and went to a "skilled watchmaker" today. Hopefully they fix it this time. Is there a lemon law for watches? :rolleyes:

13. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
  14. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Well my ice-diver is apparently back on it's way to me. We'll see how it runs now. I've never had issues like this with a Seiko before, hope I don't again.

15. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Those are both beautiful.

16. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Got the watch back yesterday and so far so good. Wore it yesterday then parked it last night and it didn't seem to lose any time. Hopefully it holds or I'm gonna be calling them next time to see what is going on.

17. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    Sorry for the cat pic, but I love my Titanium Sammie...it’s a dive watch but it’s the only watch I fly with. For its size, its light and sexy. They’re not easy to find anymore as they are Jap market only, but worth the hunt. It took me a few months to find one I wanted.

JP365, Boomhauer and Jdubbya like this.
  18. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Well I'll be damned. My ice diver is losing major time overnight again. I'm going to call and see if I can talk to someone this time. In twice already for repair on a less than year old watch is not acceptable. And a watch with a 70 hour power reserve shouldn't be losing minutes by sitting overnight. I'm not very happy.

19. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Here is my data point:

The day, date and moon phase pusher stopped working on my 1991 Seiko Quartz.

I sent it to the Seiko Service Center. They received it on May 5. Within one day I received an emailed with a firm quote of $177 which “Includes complete service of the watch movement, fix or replace necessary movement parts, replacement of gaskets, battery or ion cell, re-sealing, testing, any necessary lubrication, and cleaning of exterior parts.”

I got the watch back today. It is fully repaired and they even set it to Pacific time. Needless to say, I am impressed.

Boomhauer likes this.
  20. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Nice watch. I have unfortunately seen that box twice now and I need to call them to find out what they plan to do seeing the same watch for the 3rd time. It's definitely losing time even while wearing it now. And when it sits it loses even more. We'll see what they say but I need to do it soon I think the one year full warranty runs out next month.

This is the only Seiko I've ever had problems with to be honest. I have an old quartz one I bought probably 30+ years ago that the only thing every done was replace batteries.