812 Replacement Rumors | Page 26 | FerrariChat

812 Replacement Rumors

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by Thecadster, Jun 29, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
  2. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    The headline is misleading. Combustion engines will be sticking around at Lambo for a while yet and hopefully in naturally aspirated form (paired to a hybrid system, obviously).

Doug23, Shack, Bundy and 2 others like this.
  3. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Exactly

Doug23 likes this.
  4. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
  5. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    Especially, I am thinking, if they expect to have the same sales volumes as before, including the Urus...

6. CT Audi Fan

CT Audi Fan Formula Junior

Oct 23, 2011
    Confused … people will stop buying Lambos if they utilize hybrid technology just like every other carmaker? Gonna be a lot of people walking if their only option is non-hybrid ICE or nothing …

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dpw98 likes this.
  7. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    I am presuming Lamborghini's are not typically a 'daily driver' but an 'experience' car and if the experience is not sufficient, for whatever reason, find a suitable pre-owned may be the best solution. In addition to 'hybrid' there will be, I believe, and excessive number of electronic nannies will, in some cases without being defeatable, also impair the experience, not to mention the extreme quiet regulations already in play to increasingly erode the experience.

So, yes, I am presuming a fair number of persons will have no interest in hybrid, simply for the sake of not wanting hybrid (for whatever reasons)

008, wrs, Napoli and 4 others like this.
  8. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    Another way to look at this is the buy & hold strategy being exhibited in the exotic combustion-only Lamborghinis and other exotics (along with escalating prices, for instance an Aventador SVJ or any recent model...), not a typical 'result' of a new model pending, at least not in my experience...could be a 'sign' of the lack of desire for pending hybrid models...Ferrari has done its best to fill its combustion-only V12 order books for at least the next 3 years, between special editions and the 812GTS and currently no official announcement regarding any upcoming V12 regular production nor any obvious mules..

Thecadster and 008 like this.
  9. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    For every person they loose 2 more will step in because the tech is exciting and you retain the N/A V12 sound

dpw98 and Jordan68 like this.
  10. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    Not sure that many people will be excited when the cars spend more time in repair than on the roads, with huge bills coming out...
    Without forgetting that there will be more electrical and electronic components than mechanics in the end...
    They are no longer cars but space shuttles with too much complexity at all levels.

11. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Very true So getting extended warranties on these vehicles should be a must, but that only some covers some concerns while others remain

12. Maximus1973

Maximus1973 Formula 3

Oct 29, 2016
    Indeed. As if a comany the size of Lamborghini (or Ferrari) would simply cease their business model and go bust within a few years....
    Demand will remain high no matter the engine.
    The Urus has the standard Audi RS 4.0TT engine; nothing new or exciting about that power plant yet sales are through the roof.
    If they loose a bit of sales on the Aventador/Hurracan platform, I doubt they will care. The Urus is where it's at. The other 2 cars are simply for image/bedroomwall purposes.

13. Maximus1973

Maximus1973 Formula 3

Oct 29, 2016
    Npo offense, but you are saying in this day and age it would be a smart business model to cease development of 'new tech' and stick with 'old' combustion tech because of 'complications'?
    As if it's smart to put cars on the road that have issues all the time. Once they go live and en masse it will be at better reliability than currently available. The brands will be forced to.
    Progress halts for no man; wether we like it or not.
    I'll keep my V12's as well, thank you!

14. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    I did a quick review, in the Porsche family of non-hybrid and e-hybrid (i.e. Panamera,Cayenne) the e-hybrid versions average about 500 pounds (~230kg) more, and at the extreme, Panamera for instance, the lightest to heaviest is about 1200 pound difference! (~545kg), so, I am thinking that may align with successor hybrids for Huracan and Aventador...somewhere in that range, 500-1200 pounds heavier...will be interesting to see, if that happens, seems every Lamborghini will be wearing what are essentially truck tires and the extra unsprung weight.

Bundy and of2worlds like this.
  15. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    And there is the TRUTH of this...neither Lamborghini nor Ferrari would be pursuing hybrid/full electric if it were not for the heavy hand of government regulations...it is not 'progress' they are pursing but being pushed into conformance to survive, very very different problem.

What company would willingly pursue a product development plan that includes making sports cars heavier and more complicated?

Bundy, Thecadster, Shack and 5 others like this.
  16. Maximus1973

Maximus1973 Formula 3

Oct 29, 2016
    Well even the might 911 will get a hybrid option the next few years and I doubt Porsche will add 500 pounds to their flagship brand image.
    You're better off comparing the new Aventador against the SF90; where the Aventador will probably benefit from Volkwagen's/Porsche's/Rimac's experience with batteries.

17. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    This is happening for decades now. Cars get bigger, heavier, more complex and yet quicker and better to drive. For those who want to live in the '60s there are still Caterham and Morgan fossils sold.

Lukeylikey and dpw98 like this.
  18. Maximus1973

Maximus1973 Formula 3

Oct 29, 2016
    Touche; yes their hand has been forced.

Companies in general want to make money. In general, new tech makes more money than old tech. Compare stick shifters to dual clutch.
    It's obvious what the general public want.
    We, as fans, might not like the development, but in general development favors the masses.

However this development has been happening since the last 80 years or so.
    Cars keep on getting heavier and more 'digital' wether we like it or not.
    So keep an NA V12!

day355 likes this.
  19. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I actually find that statement interesting, because truth of the matter is that Ferrari sportscars have been very consistent when it comes to weight for a few decades.
    An F8 and F355 are both in the 1450-1500 kg range depending on spec. A Pista is lighter.
    A Testarossa and 812 SF is about the same. The Testarossa rarely scales at less than 1700 kg, but Harry Metcalfe weighted an 812 SF with some fuel at 1660 kg.
    A 308 is about 1300 kg, so about 100 kg less than a Pista, but still. Considering the differences between those cars, the Pista is still not a fat boy.
    If we go more recent, let's look at the 575M. That's a 1900 kg Hector of a car. Compare that to an SF90, 812 or F12 and cars have gotten much lighter.

It is also important to remember that MANY consumers who want sports cars are also the ones screaming for more comfort and amenities. God forbid the car lacked Aircon, Satnav, a decent stereo, luggage space for four days at least, etc. Most people want their cake and eat it too. Imagine that the average F8 had the same level of comfort and lack of sound insulation as a Senna. Sure a few track rats would buy it, but most regular F8 clients would now steer clear.

The direction is part politics and part consumerism, that's just how it is. And cars have either kept their weight and quite a few have gotten lighter over the past 30-40 years it would seem.

Lukeylikey likes this.
  20. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    Ok, SF90 is 400 pounds heavier than the Pista (185kg)

Aventador SVJ is 3600 pounds, add 400, that's 4000 pounds (1818kg)

From what I can find, Rimac does not make or even design batteries, they are reliant on the 'battery industry' for that...
    https://www.hagerty.com/media/news/ev-pioneer-rimac-not-a-huge-fan-of-current-batteries/

21. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    One overall need for heavier cars is forced government safety regulations
    https://www.carthrottle.com/post/wegb6r9/

from link above:
    Four: Safety Standards
    Safety standards have increased in scrutiny over the years, and that has had some impact on the cars we drive. Cars are safer to drive and crash, but there are a few downsides to more strict safety standards. Modern cars are heavier, bigger and have lower visibility compared to classic cars. Petrolheads don’t want cars that are heavy, big and have low visibility, we want the opposite of that; that’s why the Mazda Miata sells so well. Also, because of the added weight, it means that modern cars can’t be as fuel efficient as they could be. It’s common sense that lighter cars usually get better fuel economy. Strict safety standards have in certain ways hurt performance cars.

and they are going to get even heavier with the new pole-side-impact regulations...

of2worlds and Eilig like this.
  22. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    My 812SF is a mind blowing car: Crazy fast, sounds amazing, handles beautifully, very comfortable, plenty of storage. A luxury rocket ship!
    If in the future its replacement has some hybrid component that is “invisible” to my perception of the car, and is reliable, then I’d consider it. My heart tells me pure unassisted NA, but my head knows that for Ferrari to exist at the top of the food chain they have to be at the bleeding edge to be relevant.
    Unfortunately, that exact same thinking about relevancy and bleeding edge leads them, like lambs to slaughter, into the world of full EV—and then the magic is lost for me. The reason I think that march to EV is inevitable is at some point when hybrids are so far advanced the loud NA component of the power delivery system is going to seem anachronistic and childish, there merely for giggles and the electric component will be doing all the heavy lifting. Of course the grid infrastructure will need to build out over this 10 year journey.

Solid State and Thecadster like this.
  23. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX

David E Davis states our situation so very well !

listen to 7m40s - 8m40s

honest truth !

F2003-GA and italiafan like this.
  24. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I believe Brooks at Dragtimes scaled the SVJ to 3900 lbs. It was as heavy as his non-AF SF90. For a car that is supposed to be the lightest and most track focused version, the SVJ is a real lardy. And yes, the Pista is lighter than the SF90. But that does not change the fact that an SF90 AF is the same as a Testarossa. Of course we can dig around and find cars that in one way or another is lighter than X car. A wet Pista is lighter than a La Ferrari as well, and lighter than a Scuderia. So you point out that the SF90 is heavier than a Pista, but I point out that the Pista is lighter than other earlier cars, and that the SF90 is the same weight or lighter than other earlier cars.

We are here discussing the 812 successor, and currently the 812 is the lightest front engined V12 since the Daytona. The 550, 575, 599 and F12 were all heavier. Not even sure a single one of the Testarossa/512 generation weigh less than 1700 kg.

Lukeylikey and F2003-GA like this.
  25. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    A US-spec 512TR with full tank, no driver weighs in around 3660lbs or 1660kg. That is real weight measured at a track, not reported shenanigans. Note that is the heavier US spec car too.

of2worlds likes this.