430 - Droptop gets stuck in certain positions, nobody can figure it out where I live | FerrariChat

430 Droptop gets stuck in certain positions, nobody can figure it out where I live

Discussion in '360/430' started by MathewT, Feb 1, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MathewT

MathewT Rookie

Nov 28, 2020
    Full Name:
    Mathew t
    Hey guys, reaching out here for some help, I live in a developing nation and it's proving hard to get good help on this issue. This problem has been happening for about 2 years and regardless of who looks at it, they're unable to diagnose or solve the issue thus far. When retracting the convertible roof it gets stuck in 2 very specific positions as shown in the photos. If I wait about 45-60 seconds after it gets stuck in either position, the process will continue to completion.

Some other notes, I've had the canvas replaced, a lot of the steel wires replaced, I've had an alignment done on the top aswell, general maintenance etc too. During this replacement they couldn't find any problems with any of the hydraulics and no leaks etc.

I'm hoping someone can offer some guidance on what could be causing this?

edit: first photo is going down, second photo coming up

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    While I don't own a 430 Spider ( I have a 360 coupe) it sounds like in my experience (30 years plus building cars of all Marques) that it may be an electrical problem. I have things like this crop up on other cars and sometimes I trace it down to an overheating of a relay. You may want to check to see if there is a circuit breaker involved that is failing and or being overheated and cutting power to the top operating system--- especially since you say once you wait a period of time it will once again resume operation. That is very tell tail sign of an electrical circuit issue that I have found on many other cars I have worked on over my 30+ years. One car I worked on had a circuit breaker for the Power windows and it would do the same thing. Window would simply stop going up. Wait a time and it would resume operation. Also be sure you have a fully charged battery. Very important.

Of course you will want to check to see that there is no added strain on the system caused by any misalignment of components which of course would overheat electrical components.

But of course others here who own a 430 Spider may be able to offer more specific advice. I figured this may be an idea you can suss out yourself since you say you live in an area with limited professionals to work on your car.

Best of luck, Ken

3. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Is that all operated by hydraulic cylinders ? Controlled by a set of solenoid valves in the hydraulics ?

4. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Have you checked the hydraulic fluid level?
    Does the pump continue to run when stuck in those positions, or does it stop? Does the pitch (sound) of the pump change - if so, can you describe it?

P.S. I guess Thailand.

5. ditpixs

ditpixs Karting
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 22, 2019
    Nor Cal - Tracy
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    I'm not sure how relevant this is since yours seems to recover after waiting some length of time, but when mine was stuck in a similar position on the way up, I found microswitch 12 was not working properly/wedged. The pump would keep trying to move it, but it wasn't until I repaired the switch that it worked normally again. Maybe something is sticking with that or one of the other switches?

(To get to #12, I needed to remove the engine panels on the left side of the car)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Qavion likes this.
  6. MathewT

MathewT Rookie

Nov 28, 2020
    Full Name:
    Mathew t
    Thanks for the quick responses everyone, what a great community.

Thanks Ken, appreciate the explanation here, this is sounding more likely. New battery about 6 months ago and that didn't impact the problem. Strangely after posting this, after a 10-15 minute drive thisafternoon it the gap between getting stuck and resuming function was about 5 seconds. Not sure if that tells you anything else? By my logic it couldn't be a static mechanical failsafe if the timing range is so sporadic (I mean checking to see if a roof component is in the right place before proceeding etc)

Sunny South East Asia! Yep, they checked hydraulic fluid level, the pump does not run when the roof stalls in those pictured positions, its almost like the entire system comes to a halt. It doesn't sound like anything is straining trying to perform the operations.

7. MathewT

MathewT Rookie

Nov 28, 2020
    Full Name:
    Mathew t
    Very helpful

So given the positions the top is getting stuck in, using your diagram, potentially switch 5 and 12 could be causing trouble?

ditpixs likes this.
  8. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    The Roof ECU looks at a number of different switches at each step of the opening. Here is a document which shows the required status for each switch:

https://www.dropbox.com/t/qL6qzOgjnohcO8Gz

Open Step #8 mentions switch 12 (also known as EDA or E.D/A). The status should be "1". It's not clear if this means the switch is closed or open circuit.
    I believe this is the switch which tells the system that the hard cover is fully up.

If you have problems accessing the switch, you may be able to check the statis of the switch at the Roof ECU. There is a 20 pin connector ("2Q") on the Roof ECU (one of 3 different plugs). Pin 3 will either be open circuit or be earthed.

See 16Q in this 360 wiring diagram:

https://www.dropbox.com/t/YjUCQnYBoMYX3oEa

It should be the same as the 430.

9. MathewT

MathewT Rookie

Nov 28, 2020
    Full Name:
    Mathew t
    Sorry to trouble you, could you share the second document again? I'm only able to see 360 - 430 Folding top.pdf

10. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    MathewT likes this.
  11. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Matthew are you using battery power (car not running) or is the car running? My 360 did that on battery power when my battery needed replacement

Qavion likes this.
  12. MathewT

MathewT Rookie

Nov 28, 2020
    Full Name:
    Mathew t
    I have tried both, I believe you're not supposed to operate the drop top without the engine running. I did replace the battery about 6 months ago. Perhaps the dashcam and sound system are not wired properly and draining the battery. I'll get a multimeter and test it.

13. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Would it help to try spraying all the limit switches with contact cleaner, then blowing dry with compressed air

14. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Thanks, then it's a microswitch. They sometimes need a little bit of adjustment on the locking screw to fully engage (or disengage) in the desired position. They can also fail, or be damaged by a misaligned roof. Use a diagram to find the appropriate switch and investigate it.

15. Dewinator

Dewinator F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2017
    WA
    Have you flushed the fluid? Apparently it's common for it to just get topped off over the years and gunk to collect in some parts.

Mine would stop occasionally when I first bought the car but I've had it adjusted a couple times and the fluid flushed and it always works perfectly now.

16. FerrfanFL

FerrfanFL Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 8, 2021
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Ara
    on a side note, i have NEVER seen a Rosso exterior with a bordeaux interior.....WOW...

MathewT likes this.