Viva Mexico - bringing #854 back to life | Page 16 | FerrariChat

Viva Mexico - bringing #854 back to life

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by lbird, Aug 3, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wsaarbib

wsaarbib Rookie

Jan 25, 2018
    I really need the latch mounted on the trunk hood and need the air conditioning knob assembly for the dash. Anyone can help? Tks

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

2. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    wsaarblb.. any chance you could let us know the table and part number from the parts manual(s), for the parts
    you are looking for? Might make it a bit easier for us to try and help...

Mike

3. wsaarbib

wsaarbib Rookie

Jan 25, 2018
    Will try to get the part number tks

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

4. kyakham

kyakham Rookie

Jun 16, 2010
  5. lbird

lbird Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2012
    Germany
    Hello everybody,

finally it is done: After a year waiting for a slot at my favourite and very good trimmer (he did the car interior too) the final piece of restoration has been done: The trunk ist trimmed.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

But some final mystery remains: I am still absolutely puzzled about how to adjust the trunk springs so it stays open on its own. We removed them twice, and i know that its a problem on other cars too: What is the secret to them? I removed them out of their original position, made a lot of pictures (the trunk worked fine at that stage). And after refitting they just refuse to hold the trunk lid in place.....

Any help is appreciated big time like always if you have any hints!

CU lbird

Mexico074 likes this.
  6. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Congratulations. What a long project. Well done.

7. Froggie

Froggie Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2017
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Serge
    Upon ageing, the springs and/or the oil dampeners may have weakened and, if the load threshold has been overcome, are not anymore up to the task.
    I have noticed that on one of my classic cars: it does not hold at the first opening but it does after a few trials. Maybe further on it will not hold at all...

8. lbird

lbird Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2012
    Germany
    And to sum up the trunk problem (lid doesn't want to stay open): When we got our hands on another Mexico we saw that there are some strange bolts with a nut and two big washers between the trunk spring and the lid holder. By adjusting these washers and the distances of the bolt sticking out one can adjust the tension of the spring. These bolts were somehow lost during my restoration although they were there when we dismantled the car. Oh dear, remanufactoring time again. But no big deal, me think.....

CU lbird

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. JulianMerak

JulianMerak Formula 3

Hi,

Did you find a seat knob?

I have a spare one from my Ghibli, not sure if its exactly the same but have a look.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. lbird

lbird Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2012
    Germany
    Thank you for the kind offer, but a seat knob was provided by a good friend of mine. And the Ghibli one looks a bit different, too.

11. wilde

wilde Formula Junior

Jan 12, 2009
    France
  12. lbird

lbird Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2012
    Germany
    Hi Charles,

please tell me exactly what parts you need. Normally i have some contacts i can try to check for these parts, some i still have myself. Is your car a series 1 or 2?

CU lbird

13. wilde

wilde Formula Junior

Jan 12, 2009
    France
  14. lbird

lbird Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2012
    Germany
    Hi Charles,

i know i am very late to the party, but i just forgot your question, sorry. Unfortunately there are almost no spare parts cars around, so i cannot help with the parts you are looking for. I just came back from Padua, and even there the usable Maserati parts are almost gone. And if they are there, the seller usually knows what he has and the price especially for trim parts is off the charts. It is probably easier to buy the connection parts for the roof rail from Campana, if you still need them. The hinges should be easy to rebuild from scratch, nobody will see them afterwards anyway....

15. wilde

wilde Formula Junior

Jan 12, 2009
    France
    Hello Olaf, I finally managed to find a gentleman here in France who accept to give me his parts for copying. That's nice. Engine is in the car and I'm still fighting with electric before the first start.

Regards, Charles

Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. lbird

lbird Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2012
    Germany
    Just a shoutout to all fellow Maserati Mexico lovers: Due to lack of use and another project on the horizon i may be willing to part ways with my beloved Mexico. If you are interested in a very, very good restored drivers car please check out his thread from the beginning. My car is the silver #854, the 3 year restoration process is documented in great detail in this thread from the humble beginnings up to the finished car, it will be hard to find a better documented Mexico on the market. So don't hesitate to contact me if you have questions or even are interested, i would prefer to sell the car to a fellow enthusiast rather than working with dealers if possible. The car is located in Germany.

CU lbird