Portofino M order book closed | FerrariChat

Portofino M order book closed

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by vonbeeler, Feb 18, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vonbeeler

vonbeeler Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Went to the 296 viewing tonight at Ferrari of San Diego and my salesman mentions to me Ferrari closed out the order book for the Porto M. He said they had enough orders to fill the production run already. Everything I’ve read has been very positive reviews so maybe demand has been strong. Anyone else hear anything? Seems like a pretty quick cycle.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

2. DQSF

DQSF Karting

Dec 19, 2020
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Dennis Q
    Wow that was a short run. Now to start guessing on how soon we see the Roma Spider. Sounds like 2023 at the earliest.

SAT4RE and NZCREW like this.
  3. Florida Joe

Florida Joe Karting

Jul 28, 2005
    South Florida
    Wow My PF-M is close to delivery. Maybe I should wait now for the Roma Spider. AARGH

4. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    When you consider that they all have been evolutions of the California it's been a long run.

Maggio23 likes this.
  5. vonbeeler

vonbeeler Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Seems like they just had the introduction of the Porto in Portofino several months ago.
    Seems like I ordered my Porto M five years ago.

rob5819 and Florida Joe like this.
  6. mcw

mcw Karting

Aug 10, 2008
    While it does seem it might be a short run on the Portofino M designation, reviews indicate a sizeable shared parts line for Roma and Portofino in the chassis, suspension, engine areas. Under either name, a next convertible car in this line could continue much of the driving experience while having perhaps greater visual evolution.

456-boy likes this.
  7. rob5819

rob5819 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Barry
    I was at the San Diego 296 viewing last night as well, but never got around to talking with my sales advisor. If they have that many orders it might explain why I'm still waiting for an allocation almost a year after ordering. Would that make the 296 and Roma the only cars available to order? I liked the 296 more than I thought i would, but not enough to order one.

vonbeeler likes this.
  8. vonbeeler

vonbeeler Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Agreed.
    And sounded really good surprisingly.

rob5819 likes this.
  9. rob5819

rob5819 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Barry
    Agreed. We stuck around until they fired the 296 up and it was, surprisingly, pretty good. Hopefully they'll have a test car or two later this summer for driving. We drove the Portofino M last August (?) and I was really impressed with the sound, which was remarkable since I had driven my 458 Spider to the dealer.

Rob

PB033 and vonbeeler like this.
  10. vonbeeler

vonbeeler Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Same and I drove my 812SF to the dealer

rob5819 likes this.
  11. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Yeah confirmed they closed them... I am pretty sure a Roma type variant gets the convertible treatment. Can't wait for my PortoM, love that car.. so good! Amazing to know that at our dealership the only cars you can order now are a Roma & 296GTB the rest is closed.. incredible!

vonbeeler likes this.
  12. The128pin

The128pin Rookie

Mar 6, 2021
    Full Name:
    Peter Drucker
    hmm makes me wonder about the Roma order window. I want to go for a Roma, but not this year, and I want to see first where the used prices go before shelling out 250 - 280k euros. Would dealers tell you ahead of time when order books are expected to close? I don't want to miss the opportunity to get one from new. I would hope it is realistic to expect Roma new orders will go until 2024? The car was introduced like what..a year ago? Any insights from long time Ferraristi would be appreciated.

13. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Deliveries began less than a year ago plus there's the threat of Euro7 rules in 2026 so it seems likely that shell with one facelift (Roma M ?) will last til then

14. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    It must be fun being a Ferrari dealer right now. They must spend all day telling customers what they can't order.

llk, JTSE30, clockem and 1 other person like this.
  15. Florida Joe

Florida Joe Karting

Jul 28, 2005
    South Florida
    I spoke to my sales rep this morning and he knew nothing about it. An hour later the sales manager called me and confirmed and said yes they have closed the order book but they still have a substantial number of orders to fill.

My car is in transport to the US. He volunteered if I didn't want it they would refund the deposit but of course no info on the replacement or what an order could be placed.

After this log of a wait, I'm probably going to stick with the Portofino-m and see what happens in 2 years.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

16. vonbeeler

vonbeeler Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I’m absolutely keeping my Porto M which is due within the next several weeks. I’m super excited to have a convertible GT car again.
    Seems likely a replacement would be a Roma spider and that doesn’t do it for me. Been waiting a long time for the M and can’t wait to add some s-miles.

Portofinoman likes this.
  17. andy355

andy355 Karting

Jul 18, 2004
    UK
    Roma will not get hybrid engines (think that came out of their results presentation) and is due a convertible version but will be a soft top I believe. Cheaper and smaller/lighter but not as good

18. shaun1

shaun1 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    shaun
    I think it depends on the back log, if they are backlogged a few years out they will probably close the books. Nobody really knows or can guess. Just ask your dealer to see what the wait time is, If it's within 10 12 months then I doubt they will close it down.

19. The128pin

The128pin Rookie

Mar 6, 2021
    Full Name:
    Peter Drucker
    Last time (2021) I spoke to a Ferrari dealer they said 1.5 years until delivery (This was Austria). I guess get worried if they say 2 years?

20. [gTr]

[gTr] Formula 3

Mar 11, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    Cheaper is not a word that will be mentioned in the same line as Ferrari ever again. Just look at what happened with 296GTB. A lot of people here were expecting it to be cheaper (even substantially cheaper) than F8. We all saw how that ended up. There is very little chance that the convertible version of Roma which will be the PortoM's replacement will be cheaper.

21. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    And it will have a giant goober of an iPad in the center of the dash and all haptic controls. I like the more old school Porto M interior.

22. jsh458ft

jsh458ft Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2020
    PA
    Yep... regretted not ordering an F8, now also regretting not ordering a Portofino. :(

italiafan likes this.
  23. 456-boy

456-boy Formula 3

Jun 23, 2005
    France
    Full Name:
    Victor
    Order book is full for several months, and Ferrari will then discontinue the production of the only « family » convertible… this schedule might be a perfect timing for introducing and producing the Roma Spider.

24. bwelch

bwelch Rookie

Jan 31, 2022
    I just ordered my Portofino M on President's Day, unbelievably excited as this will be my first Ferrari! Coming from Aston Martins and Porsches, owning a Ferrari has been a lifelong dream. Now comes the wait. My sales associate told me ~18 months. I got pretty lucky with my order; went for a test drive about a month ago, decided to go ahead with the purchase this past Monday, and was told they closed the order book. Apparently, someone had cancelled their order and I was able to take it. Couldn't be happier! This car checks a lot of boxes, and is absolutely gorgeous. Attached my build for your viewing pleasure!

Attached Files:

JTSE30, PB033, RamsHmb and 2 others like this.
  25. jsh458ft

jsh458ft Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2020
    PA
    Maybe another one of us can be so lucky!