612 performance Upgrade | Page 2 | FerrariChat

612 performance Upgrade

Discussion in '612/599' started by brogenville, Feb 10, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Nearly all those companies will rebuild your injectors, too, so at least you know what you are getting.

FIN612 likes this.
  2. jef

jef Rookie

Sep 1, 2004
    Is there anyone in NY or NJ who can do this performance upgrade on a 612 OTO with complete reliability (as opposed to an experiment)? Thanks.

FIN612 likes this.
  3. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Mechanicals are easy peasy- any garage could do it. The ecu side is proven now in terms of it works, but I would say the fueling needs a little tickle before it’s bang on. Exoticars USA isn’t that far from you and they could easily do the lot. Tom there has done a few cars with Trevor, so he could easily hook you up.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

4. QtrItalian

QtrItalian Karting

Jan 22, 2021
    Robin,
    Hi any new news?
    - Dan.

5. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Alas no. Been travelling recently. Still need to get the last getting of the fuel map done too. Good nudge!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

6. bennzwel

bennzwel Karting

Nov 30, 2018
    Full Name:
    B N
    I’m curious and interested in this upgrade with MAF and ECU flash. Since I’m not in the US, getting the part is easy but how else am I able to sort the ECU firmware ?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

7. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Robin, hope all is well. This is a great innovation. Now get yourself a set of 6-1 from our friend and you'll be motoring heaven!

brogenville likes this.
  8. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Contact Aldous @ AV Engineering or pm me.

9. ecarca

ecarca Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2013
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Emmanuel
    Re Airboxes

Aren't these the same air boxes as on the F133H, on later 612? They look the same from pictures. Didn't check the diagrams to confirm...

There was some rumors that the F133H was more powerful than the F133M, only notable difference from the outside were these.

Cheers!

Makuono likes this.
  10. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    The 599 airboxes are based on the same type used on later 612's, hence why they fit. :)

They are needed though as the later 612's still use the same MAF's as early 612's, so don't have the right fitment to connect to the larger MAF's. Clearly it was a cost saving measure by Ferrari to use the molded plastic ones on later cars (and share tooling with 599's) compared with the fabricated metal ones on the early cars. Honestly the metal ones seem a lot nicer to me, as well as having the Ferrari script on them.

I really can't see any reason why later 612's are more powerful than early cars - we've interrogated loads of ecu's, including the latest OTO's, and the fueling is the same as on the early cars. If they're anything like 430's then the later cars tend to get less powerful as they load on more emissions crap.

Oh - I finally have a dragy now, so should be able to get some performance figures shortly.

11. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Trev, what part of this can I get done for my 575? I normally get it serviced at TFC in Maidstone which is near Aldous. Is it a pop and swap job or more complicated? Thank you for your expertise and research!

12. ecarca

ecarca Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2013
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Emmanuel
    Thanks for the explanation! Looking forward to see the results

FIN612 likes this.
  13. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    I would have them, but alas its been snowing here recently. Might not be the most representative.:D

FIN612 likes this.
  14. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

This is a great easy upgrade. My question is: Does anyone know if the same upgrade can be made between a 599 and an F12? The F12 MAF looks like it might work but I can't find any real dimensions.

15. jef

jef Rookie

Sep 1, 2004
    Are there any test results yet? Very curious.

NYC Fred likes this.
  16. rynoshark

rynoshark Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    @brogenville how has your experience on this been after a year or so now with the upgrades. Anything else you've done? I just posted by Tubi Style 612 straight pipe exhaust in the classifieds section...it was too loud for me as a family car. However, more subtle performance upgrades are certainly interesting.

17. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Hi Ryan, great timing! So you'll remember from the above that the first pass tune was functional, and indeed fast, but it wasn't quite there with the driveability. Various things got in the way for getting it updated until recently, though this wasn't entirely a bad thing, as over the last few months Trevor has done a whole load of tuning on 575's, with nearly all of the work transferable to 612. So in the last few weeks, we finally got down to updating the flash, but it was much more than a tweak to the fuelling. Apparently over 30 parameters have been adjusted now, with things like the instant torque patch doing more than just removing the latency between the throttle pedal and the throttle plates, but also changing the way the engine brings in the torque upon request. The only thing we didn't do was the switchable fuel maps on the sport button, but only because Trev wanted to see that everything else was working fine first with so many other changes having been made.

So, how does it feel now? Well, here in the north east of Scotland, conditions aren't exactly ideal right now, but I have put a few hundred miles under its wheels since the update. First thing is that the jerkiness is essentially all gone now. Before the fuelling was such that there was the slightest hesitation going from steady state low throttle openings to pinning it wide open, just due to the fuelling not being able to keep up. Trying this now, the hesitation is still there... but only because the traction control ****s itself! Trying it with TC off the other night saw the michelins breaking traction at speed in 3rd gear. So that's all good. :cool:

So with these conditions, it's impossible to make hard and fast conclusions about peak power etc, but one thing did shine through, which was the character of the engine seemed surprisingly different. Before, I would always have described the 612 as having the turbine like torque delivery - just a seamless linear wave of torque that builds from nothing to peak revs. With the current tune, its a much more aggressive power delivery, feeling not just more urgent, but also with a step in torque around 5500 rpm where the revs seems to build in a much more manic fashion.

For a fun driving car to go at it on twisty roads, its definitely a lot more of an exciting ride now. Gone is the soft cruiser feel, replaced with more of a muscle car vibe. Its still super easy to drive round at low speed, but in the upper rev range, its quite a different beast.

Many thanks as always @360trev .

-K1-, 360trev, rynoshark and 4 others like this.
  18. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Thanks for that great update, but we're still waiting for the performance numbers. Maybe when the weather gets better! :D

19. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    So I need to get my ass in gear and head along to a dyno!

Nospinzone likes this.
  20. Chindit

Chindit Karting
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2008
    Navarre, Florida
    Full Name:
    Nick P.
    So, is there a "360trev" flash that can be added to an otherwise stock 612 (with aftermarket mufflers being the only mods)? Would it be worth it from a performance / drivability / reliability perspective?

FIN612 likes this.
  21. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    The best person to answer would of course be @360trev , but I would say there is. To some extent it depends on whether you want the aggressive character or not. I really like it, but I would forgive those who would keep their 612 as a more relaxed cruiser.

FIN612 likes this.
  22. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Absolutely yes you can gain big improvements in both drivability and driver enjoyment even on a stock car. Ofcourse with some recommendations such as sport cats the car gains significantly more torque available instantly to your foot.

This isn't your typical thing, infact it's quite unique, I'm actually modifying the code and algorithms to allow it to drive in a more modern feeling. As such I'd recommend you fit good modern tires like Michelin 4S because I change how delivery is achieved so you get a big step change in torque instantly which on older generation rubber could result in a lot more wheel spin whereas modern stuff will just grip and go! These transformations don't really show up on a dyno but boy do you feel the difference - you demand power with your right foot, no hesitation, it just takes off like a scalded cat..

Soon I'll finish Robin's off with another world first of Manetino style selectable calibration setup (performance, torque pickup, throttle response, exhaust valves, etc) so Normal Vs Sport have completely different personalities and driving styles. The way it should have been all along..

23. QtrItalian

QtrItalian Karting

Jan 22, 2021
    Trev, Would this help the pre OTO's in terms of smoothing the F1 shifting somewhat? Does it improve auto mode (in case the wife wants to drive)?
    - Dan.

24. 180 Out

180 Out Formula 3

Jan 4, 2012
    San Leandro, CA
    Full Name:
    Bill Henley
    For the 612 it would be great if the driver could combine the faster shifting and throttle response of Sport mode with the softer shock setting of the Normal mode. Such a combo is widely available in later model cars.

25. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    You can using the F1S mode if yours has it.

599_GTO likes this.