Did your perspective change after seeing car in person ? | FerrariChat

Did your perspective change after seeing car in person ?

Discussion in '296' started by jackmac, Feb 21, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jackmac

jackmac Rookie

Aug 4, 2005
    My local dealer is set to do a debut of the 296 in March. For those who are still on the fence, did your perspective change after seeing the car in person ? Thanks

2. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    There's a LOT of curves and lines that show up in person and not in the photos. It's really a nice ride in person.

Caeruleus11, jackmac and Slicknick like this.
  3. stevdug

stevdug Karting

Feb 4, 2019
    Tulsa
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I liked it a bit more in person

jackmac likes this.
  4. daviderx

daviderx Rookie

Feb 5, 2005
    Palm Beach County
    Full Name:
    David
    Absolutely. In person from the outside it has an impressive presence. Not overdone. Just right. I then ordered one. I have not sat inside but it looks like a modern ferrari

Slicknick and jackmac like this.
  5. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    +1 taking it all in at once, it is very beautiful to me. I was pleasantly relieved. Interior is sharp, more spartan than the Roma but same cluster. I'd say it's closer to 355 or 360 for interior dimensions.

gabf1, Caeruleus11 and Slicknick like this.
  6. daviderx

daviderx Rookie

Feb 5, 2005
    Palm Beach County
    Full Name:
    David
    ryalex and Slicknick like this.
  7. Steveinfl

Steveinfl Karting

May 14, 2016
    Hilton Head SC and Chicago IL
    Full Name:
    Steven Clayton
    I definitely liked it a LOT more in person. I find that's been the case with a lot of the more recent Ferraris. Not sure why really.

jackmac likes this.
  8. SardarJi

SardarJi Rookie

Jan 21, 2018
    Orinda, CA
    Looking forward to seeing it in-person in SF area this March. Glad to see many of you found it more appealing in person!

jackmac likes this.
  9. Mickyd329

Mickyd329 Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2019
    Orange County Socal
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I didn't like it when it was first released, but I am slowly warming up to it. I spec'd one out at my Ferrari dealer today and awaiting the demo car to make it's rounds so that I can see it in person.

jackmac likes this.
  10. nlpamg

nlpamg Karting

Oct 18, 2014
    I didn't like it from the pictures and videos. I wanted to hate it. But when I saw it in person at Finali Mondiali this past November, I was sold. It looked so good in person.

Sergio Tavares, jackmac and Slicknick like this.
  11. moveova

moveova Rookie

Feb 27, 2022
    Full Name:
    nabeel mahmud
    Some comment it looks likes the Vette C08. For those have seen it in person, would you agree?

Sergio Tavares likes this.
  12. ernestoteles

ernestoteles Rookie

Feb 8, 2022
    Full Name:
    ernesto schmitt
    Saw it in the flesh at a Ferrari event in London last night. Was a yellow car, without assetto fiorano. I went in with high hopes, but I found it looked underwhelming... bit like a Lotus Elise, in fact. If you're spending over $400k on a car, I reckon it needs to make your heart skip a beat just from looking at it. The Ferrari dealer had a 488 Pista Spider in the showroom next to the 296 GTB. The comparison was almost comical - the Pista spider looked like a million bucks, whereas the 296 was just bland by comparison.

Who knows. I'll wait for the reviews to come out next week, and I'll study the videos carefully - maybe the yellow colour just didn't suit the car, or the showroom setting didn't help. But I'm veering towards cancelling my order rather than going ahead with it after last night. (PS - Note one other thing - there's plenty enough room in the cabin. I'm 6'4" and I had no problem with space or headroom. I previously owned a Lamborghini Huracan Evo RWD, and lack of headroom was a significant issue for me there - no such issues in the 296.)

j09333, Softman, Dela and 3 others like this.
  13. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I really liked it in the pictures and when seeing in person I like it even more. I find the car a relief to look at after so many cars with so many visual details. I love that its a clean design, with just enough to keep you interested. And it is a physically smaller car- which I love. I think sports cars are getting too big with too many addenda they keep tacking on- it's getting a bit much in my opinion. I find it a relatively clean and elegant design (for the current era).

I don't love the new interface and hope they can update it. I wish they kept a physical tach involved somehow, as well as a red starter button and some physical controls for volume and HVAC.

In terms of the design and the purpose, I am getting a hint of what happened when the 458 came out. I can't wait to learn how it drives, at the moment, with its shorter wheelbase (basically that of an F430/360) and massive power, I think it could be a lot of fun.

SECRET, IvanRico and ryalex like this.
  14. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    No, it doesn't. Honestly F8 looks closer to that shape.

If you were going to squint it looks more Lotus Evora-like in dimensions and roof-line.

15. DQSF

DQSF Karting

Dec 19, 2020
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Dennis Q
    Just saw it up close tonight and fell in love. I had caught it at Pebble Beach but tonight’s lighting and details really did the trick. Sitting inside felt night and day from the 458-F8 as far as tech and layout. Honestly it felt tighter getting in, but then felt more spacious and comfortable then what I expected from reading everyone’s comments - and I’m a big guy 6’ 250lbs. The engine sounded much better than I expected, and some nice pops and crackle on revving it. No complaints from me.

jackmac and ryalex like this.
  16. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    It is incredible in person.

I'd liken the interior space to be smaller than the 488/F8 but larger than the McLaren 570S with a slightly lower roofline. It was no where close to being too small, let alone something to complain about. The car its VERY nice and low. I asked the Ferrari rep (non-dealer) about the ride height in particular, because the front wheel gap looked REALLY good. He said it was the planned production height so we'll see. I measured it (27" from ground to fender) to compare when the real production cars arrive.

IMHO, this car is an absolute winner as far as looks go.

17. Sergio Tavares

Sergio Tavares Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2018
    Full Name:
    Sergio Tavares
    The tail light is Chevy to me

18. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    Enjoy:

SAT4RE, Caeruleus11 and BigJay2050 like this.
  19. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    When I saw it in person honestly I was underwhelmed. The design is muted to me. There are many other Ferrari’s that stir my feelings in looks than the 296.

BLUESL likes this.
  20. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    Much better in person!

S

Dela, SECRET, jackmac and 1 other person like this.
  21. SJU

SJU Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Sal J
    Same for me. Still have the deposit down but not convinced yet. Wifey was not moved also.

22. DQSF

DQSF Karting

Dec 19, 2020
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Dennis Q
    To each their own. I just saw it in person for the 3rd time today and walked away giddy. So happy I have my deposit in. Each time I’ve noticed more details that excite me and the looks keep growing on me more and more. I personally think it looks much better in person than it photographs.

SAFE4NOW, SECRET, LuxRes and 3 others like this.
  23. daviderx

daviderx Rookie

Feb 5, 2005
    Palm Beach County
    Full Name:
    David
    Fully agree. In person it is so much better than photos.

SECRET likes this.
  24. GFD

GFD Karting

Aug 24, 2014
    Northern California
    I loved it. It sounds really good too. They turned it on and revved it at the dealership.
    I love the curves and the updated electronics. Can't wait to drive it!

SECRET likes this.
  25. BLUESL

BLUESL Karting

Mar 17, 2014
    London
    I’m looking forward to driving it and have the opinion of Q2 23 delivery but after being at three launch events, I am still underwhelmed by the look of the thing. I might feel differently when it’s outside but right now, it doesn’t feel a place to put $400k.