Another 812GTS factory build SCREWED UP | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Another 812GTS factory build SCREWED UP

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by Giallo488, Mar 5, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Cavallino Baracca

May 11, 2020
    I used to own a 2016 FF with no shields (as per spec) but the production photos on the my Ferrari app showed pictures of a car with the indent where the shield would be affixed too.
    So I wouldn’t rely on the factory pics.
    I hope it turns out to be a mistake and you get your shields as spec’d.

vraa likes this.
  2. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    Looks fantastic! Love it.

italiafan and Caeruleus11 like this.
  3. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    That was my exact thought. Should be an easy remedy, and ultimately, a much better final product.

Gh21631 and Art138 like this.
  4. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    Respectfully, we all get this point.
    But shifting and putting it in perspective in important- As in if this happened to you would you cut off your nose and refuse the car? There are options which will take time but render the mistake harmless. @ppg70 puts it out there for the “damage” to be reversed completely.

Should it/Would it ruin the privilege of getting a GTS as a first new Ferrari?

There are those who would refuse and let it ruin the experience. There will be more cars and more shields.

In these times, perspective is important. We cannot control what happens to or for us but we can control our reaction to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vraa and Caeruleus11 like this.
  5. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    For what it’s worth, and understanding all the emotion as well, when I saw @woody byrd 812GTS in the flesh pulling up to the hotel with no shields it literally took my breath away. I immediately wondered whether I should have ordered mine without as well.
    Just like cars without the gobs of CF I wonder if the cars that lack shields and have a slightly more elegant look will be extremely desirable for their own niche. I understand you ordered a car with shields for a reason, you like them...but please trust me...when your car arrives try to look at it without the emotion of feeling betrayed and you may appreciate a cleanliness to that gorgeous elegant look.

6. woody byrd

woody byrd Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2006
    cary, nc
    Full Name:
    woody byrd
    Thank you very much!
    Woody

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  7. MisterMaranello

MisterMaranello F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2011
    Europe
    I have heard of cars coming incorrectly specced before but have a hard time believing it's the result of anything else but the dealer not inputing it correctly in MODIS when ordering the car, unfortunately.

I have a close friend who is a world renowned detailer (does cars for Royal families, concours judge etc.) who recently did a Roma with factory painted shields. He said absolutely not a chance these are painted, even with a trace. 100% sticker by his account.

Corsaspider, Times and gt_lusso like this.
  8. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/posts/147786593/

9. MisterMaranello

Apr 5, 2011
    Europe
    I've seen this video before, please bear in mind it's nearing 10 years old. Many things may have changed internally, especially post public listing. My friend is a true Ferraristi and his seniority in the specific field gives me no reason to doubt his comments. It's easy to see if something has been hand painted, painted or stickered if you have the competence and equipment.

Can only hope that since the 812 GTS is a more upmarket product than the Roma, that perhaps the production process is more thorough.

10. ppg70

ppg70 Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2017
    you and your true Ferrarista friend should visit Zanasi!! with your nickname you shouldn't talk like this Mister Maranello
    Ferrari painted shields are a sticker......wow this is absolutely fantastic!!
    It's clear that your friend has no competences and you don't need any equipment to understand the difference between a sticker and a paint.
    btw for your knowledge the process is still the same since last ten years.....all manual.

"I have a close friend who is a world renowned detailer (does cars for Royal families, concours judge etc.) who recently did a Roma with factory painted shields. He said absolutely not a chance these are painted, even with a trace. 100% sticker by his account."
    Tell me please who is your world renowned detailer friend so I will not take the risk to bring to him one of my car!

JTSE30 likes this.
  11. MisterMaranello

Apr 5, 2011
    Europe
    #36 MisterMaranello, Mar 8, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2022
    Relax. I have actually visited Zanasi in 2019...

Please read my comments again. Looking at the production quality of recent Ferrari products I am not surprised if on the higher end models the process is thorough with painted shields through a trace, but on the Roma or Portofino it might be a sticker. Nothing will surprise me with a publicly listed company.

Do you know how many Tailor Made cars come with defects in the paint? (Cars that are painted outside the regular paintshop). I know of two cars over a period of 6 months now at my dealer alone which have had to be shipped back to Italy for a complete repaint. For anyone well familiar with the Ferraris politics, you will know that a doesn’t get returned unless there are serious defects. So please, relax before you shout on accusations of incompetencies online. This thread is a testament to not everything being "perfect" in Maranello...

12. clockem

clockem Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Gary
    To the original poster, what has the dealer said to you ie was the option selected in Modis?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

13. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Just for reference.

The body in white photos are generic, so not of your car, my Superfast body in white photo, was of a LHD car not RHD as it should have been.

RamsHmb likes this.
  14. ppg70

ppg70 Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2017
    I am very relax!
    You were not talking about paint defects but you reported that the painted shields are sticker!! Below two sentences are yours not mine:
    1."I have a close friend who is a world renowned detailer (does cars for Royal families, concours judge etc.) who recently did a Roma with factory painted shields. He said absolutely not a chance these are painted, even with a trace. 100% sticker by his account."
    2."I've seen this video before, please bear in mind it's nearing 10 years old. Many things may have changed internally, especially post public listing. My friend is a true Ferraristi and his seniority in the specific field gives me no reason to doubt his comments. It's easy to see if something has been hand painted, painted or stickered if you have the competence and equipment."
    So if you visited Zanasi in 2019 you should know that the process is the same.
    If somebody is not able to recognise a sticker from a paint then I don't know how to call if "no competences" is offending.

Btw since now I became curious I am going to call Zanasi and ask. May be your friend detailer is right "He said absolutely not a chance these are painted, even with a trace. 100% sticker by his account." or he knows something we didn't. Every single day we are learning something, may be today is the day .

Paint defects, you didn't mention before, is another story and very well know to all Ferraristi. There are ton of post on this topics. All my cars are TM and all are paint corrected, detailed, ceramic coated and fully film protected after delivery. And one of them came also with a minor mistake according to the original specs cause the dealer transfer to Maranello my personal logo wrong. Luckily being just the floormats was easy to solve. Dealer/Maranello made another set free of charge.
    Did I said that somebody is perfect in Maranello?

15. DavidJames1

DavidJames1 Formula 3

Mar 6, 2010
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Ppg70, I’m with you - I’ll be in Maranello early next month for Tailor Made for my GTS - will try and visit Zanasi and discuss this with them. I have to say that all the painted shields I’ve seen including on my TM Superfast look like the real deal.

of2worlds, Bundy and JagShergill like this.
  16. Cavallino Baracca

May 11, 2020
    Interesting did not know that, thanks! My ff happened to be white so that added to the confusion! Have a Roma on order so will be interesting what the body in white photo will be like.

17. PTC

PTC Karting

Mar 30, 2010
    Fairfield County, CT
    Full Name:
    Peter Timan Clark
    10-year member crossing lines between 812 and FF / but if mine were to delivered to me without shields I'd be just as happy (I had a 456M GT no shields) -- not even a hiccup. Do I understand that the break in trust if an order may have been wrong, and what else may have been wrong? -- absolutely. But when it comes to the Shield, it's like some sacred lamb. Let's get over that. Easier said than done, obviously. Can't take the DNA out of the horse.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. MisterMaranello

Apr 5, 2011
    Europe
    #43 MisterMaranello, Mar 9, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2022
    Roma was not in production in 2019, I have no idea regarding anything on this car other than my experience of it being a little bit simpler.

Would be interesting to hear what Zanasi say. I will ask my detailer friend again to provide more information to substantiate his claims regarding the sticker on the Roma which I can hopefully put forward in this thread to clear things up. Regarding his competence he has previously prepared one of the Special Projects One Off cars for display so I'm quite confident in his judgement.

19. MisterMaranello

Apr 5, 2011
    Europe
    I have asked the detailer for a more thorough explanation especially regarding this sticker comment he made, and his answer is roughly translated along the lines of;

"It looked like it was printed on beneath the clearcoat. The previous hand painted shields I have seen have had a less "precise" look and a different roughness to them, especially if you compare the finish to the regular machined shields."

So using the word "sticker" which i paraphrased may be incorrect in this case, however the production process of the shields may have changed causing him to raise the topic. He also sent me closeups of the shield commenting he believes it's too "perfect" for a hand paint (even by tracer).

20. Giallo488

Giallo488 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2020
    Philadelphia, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    #45 Giallo488, Mar 9, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2022
    No response from dealer yet will update when I get any response as to resolution
    Dealer did say order was entered correctly ie with shields

21. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Written proof? Photo?

Marcel Massini

Il Co-Pilota and PTC like this.
  22. ppg70

ppg70 Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2017
    Thank you for your explanation.
    When I told our conversation to Zanasi they were just laughing with all respect for other opinions.
    I believe that probably today the airbrushed shields may look perfect or better defined than in the past since the continuous improvement is a fundamental pillar of industry specially in automative sector.
    Literally painted shields are not manually painted but manually airbrushed using specific progressive masks produced by LetteraF exactly as showed in the video.....this process is applied to all models

of2worlds, Bundy, megamarco9 and 5 others like this.
  23. Russell Babb

Russell Babb Rookie

Sep 8, 2018
    Bella Vista, Arkansas
    Full Name:
    Russell Babb
    Unbelievable! I have actually passed up buying two beautiful spec'd cars just for Not having shields!

rmirsky and vraa like this.
  24. Kent Dellenbusch

Kent Dellenbusch Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 7, 2008
    Upland, CA
    Full Name:
    Kent Dellenbusch
    Silver - Stunning! :)

25. 365boy

365boy Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Brighton, England
    Full Name:
    John Leaman
    Marcel, with great respect I think someone with your profile in the Ferrari community should be - and be seen to be - more critical of Ferrari in this case. If he wants shields, he wants shields. If I bought a $500k house - let alone a car - I'd be pretty annoyed if the front door was missing. This is exactly the kind of "oh well what can you do?" attitude that Ferrari has exploited for 75 years...

Boomhauer, rmk, Art138 and 3 others like this.