Sebring Weekend | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Sebring Weekend

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by Anthony James, Mar 1, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ddrewesusa

ddrewesusa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2021
    92,955,807 miles from the sun
    Full Name:
    Don Drewes
    you still in the club? I just got back here from passing over by your RV. Now I’m back in the club. :)

Anthony James likes this.
  2. Anthony James

Anthony James Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2012
    Essex
  3. ddrewesusa

ddrewesusa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2021
    Full Name:
    Don Drewes
    If you see a guy with a reddish shirt on and an LSU hat, come say hi.

4. Anthony James

Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2012
    Essex
    Sorry to have missed you. The guys back at the rv said you stopped in.

ddrewesusa likes this.
  5. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    What channel is TV coverage??

Was going to try to watch Friday's race here in Twin Peaks...

6. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Does not look like there IS a broadcast of the event, only Pay for View live streaming....rats!!

Back to the rodeo....:D

ddrewesusa likes this.
  7. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    ddrewesusa likes this.
  8. ddrewesusa

ddrewesusa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2021
    Full Name:
    Don Drewes
    I went over and looked at the car when they were working on it in the garage after the crash. With the nose cone off, it barely looked damaged after that unbelievable crash. Amazing at the structural integrity of these DPi prototypes.

9. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    In the WEC, the change of BoP completely screwed up Toyota, the only hydrid in the Hypercar category.
    All their technical advantage has been negated, by new rules from the ACO.
    The Toyotas have to carry around the weight of a battery and an electric motor on the front axle.
    But they can use it below a minimum speed (190km/h) which they cannot reach on most part of the circuit!

The 100km race was won by an Alpine, which isn't even an Hypercar technically speaking.
    It's a 3,years old LMP2 ORECA chassis with a Nissan engine,wearing an Alpine badge!
    That car is still allowed to race under "grand father's rights" to boost the number in the Hypercar category !

The moral winner was surely Glickenhaus in that race.

LMPDesigner and Anthony James like this.
  10. ddrewesusa

ddrewesusa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2021
    Full Name:
    Don Drewes
    Second the Glickenhaus as the winner of the true hypercar category. Since the hypercar category would have gone away for a couple years until the other manufacturers complete their cars, they allowed this Frankenstein crap. Jim has been vocal but very respectful about the level playing field. He just wants everyone to know why they are last in the category, and it’s NOT because they aren’t competitive, it’s because the alpine hasn’t had to have an ECU change and/or weight penalty added so they will always be faster than the Toyota’s and Jim’s car.

If Toyota was able to run the car like they did 2 years ago, no one would even be close. Drop the turn on for the electric for the Toyota to over 150 kph and cut the fuel tank down by 15% or so to drive a few extra pit stops or they can do more fuel management to level that field. Or, cut the battery capacity on the Toyota and free up the other requirements. This would make them adjust the power dump. Want a larger pull, you may only get through 30% or the corner where a 60% reduction in power dump may get them 100% through the corner.

Glickenhaus will have a good advantage since he is getting a jump on the other manufacturers but the other manufacturers have massively deep pockets and that’s what I worry about.

I don’t have the answers but I know WEC is trying to bridge the time before all the manufacturers field their hypercar.

LMPDesigner and william like this.
  11. Anthony James

Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2012
    Essex
    alum04org and ddrewesusa like this.
  12. alum04org

alum04org F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2009
    Plymouth, MI
    No one else tuned in?
    1 hr 11 min left

13. Anthony James

Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2012
    Essex
    Had a chance to meet Christopher and his lovely wife before they departed. Short chat but clearly they enjoyed their time racing at Sebring. Thanks ferrarichat for this forum, and best wishes Christopher to you and your family in this 2022 season!

Molto Bene scudarea Ferrari

ddrewesusa likes this.
  14. Max4HD

Max4HD Formula 3

Jun 20, 2006
    Florida
    Pit lane

Attached Files:

Anthony James and ddrewesusa like this.
  15. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Ferrari got a WIN! GTD….very cool!!

16. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    The Toyota is an ACO/FIA Hypercar. DPi is the outgoing IMSA creation.

17. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex

This is the risk that the FIA and IMSA have. With so many completely different designs and configurations getting the BoP right is going to be a real challenge and there are going to be a lot of pissed off fans, teams and manufacturers.

Remember when IMSA tried to balance the DPi with the P2? Yeah..this is going ot be worse. That said...i am really excited for the new LMDh...or GTP....or whatever we are supposed to call it.

18. ddrewesusa

ddrewesusa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2021
    Full Name:
    Don Drewes
    Yes, sorry about that.

19. ddrewesusa

ddrewesusa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2021
    Full Name:
    Don Drewes
    You make excellent points. I always want a level playing field when it comes to competition. I like they are giving some freedoms with the design of hypercar, I think it may be some crazy times ahead, great for auto journalist, I don’t know how the fans that follow teams are going to respond. I think they wanted to reduce the cost of the highest performing prototypes to bring the manufacturers back in, I just don’t know if they will get there without running into the same problems that I believe formula 1 ran into when they moved into the hybrid era; it created a team that has dominated for “almost” 7 years. It had made formula 1 boring until lately when other manufacturers have been able to catch up to those hundreds of millions that Mercedes spends. I hope we don’t go there with the hypercar with back door designing and testing that is not carried on the books.

20. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I think the difference is F1 is a more open formula. Sportscars are all BoP. So I don't think we will see dominance. The opposite in fact...constant adjustments to try to bring everyone in line. With that...a whole lot of bitching that things are unfair.

If they get the BoP right, this will be a great new era. If they have trouble figuring it out, it is going to be an absolute train wreck.

ddrewesusa likes this.
  21. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    And a 3rd place also, so two cars on the podium.

22. Anthony James

Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2012
    Essex
    Good week for Ferrari!

mdrums likes this.