430 - Forgetting, not an average car | FerrariChat

430 Forgetting, not an average car

Discussion in '360/430' started by efg2014, Mar 23, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. efg2014

efg2014 Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2014
    Northern California
    I have had my car for about 8 years and just love it. Sometimes I forget how special Ferraris are; a dear neighbor reminded me. A neighbor of mine who I have know for about 10 years wasn't aware I had an F430; yes I keep a low profile :). The guy is in his late 60s with major medical problems and stage-4 colon cancer. In a casual conversation about keeping a clean garage or how most people use garages as hoarding rooms I mentioned the impetus for cleaning my garage out. His response "I didn't know you had a Ferrari".
    The cat was out of the bag, so I said, let me show you. His reaction was priceless and very complimentary. I offered him a ride. Initially he was very scared and due to his medical condition gets dizzy easily. He want me to just drive him 2 blocks at a slow speed. He was worried I was a crazy driver. I drive early, 7am, and let him know that he was welcome to join me. Told him I would drive in "grandpa mode", to my surprise he showed up. Again he mentioned only 2 blocks. After about 3 blocks, I was driving at about 25mph, I said "where do I drop you off?". His response, no let's continue. I took him for a 40 mile drive, albeit everyone on the freeway was passing us and I wasn't really enjoying the drive but wanted him to have the experience.
    After the ride he thanked me and later he sent me a text, thanking me again and that was a wonderful experience and he really appreciated it and what a beautiful car it was. Though the drive wasn't in itself exciting for me, his reaction and appreciation made it special.
    A friend of mine said I had done a mitzvah.

HH11, Jdubbya, ZF123 and 42 others like this.
  2. FerrfanFL

FerrfanFL Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 8, 2021
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Ara
    you made his day and made a memory he will have and not forget...that's a special day...
    bravo my good man....

honda corse, mwstewart and catdog like this.
  3. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I once drove to a rest home in my red car to visit my childhood piano teacher (who was now 90 years old). I took her around the block, driving very slow. I stepped on the gas a little at one point and the car jerked a little, I looked over and she was smiling. When we got back to the home, I asked her if she wanted me to take any of her friends for a ride. When she declined, I asked her why, and her response was priceless: "I want to be the only one here who has ridden in a Ferrari".

Jdubbya, bernieb, van22 and 15 others like this.
  4. craze

craze Formula 3

Mar 5, 2021
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Lovely story
    Very kind

mwstewart, one4torque and catdog like this.
  5. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
  6. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    Special indeed. And you sir are also special. Kindness and modesty seem to be in very short supply lately. Good on you.

And to your point... I was returning some books to the library and an elderly man stopped to take in my 360. He told me I made his day. He'd never seen a Ferrari before.
    Special cars indeed.

mwstewart, Jaymac, one4torque and 2 others like this.
  7. Snapshift

Snapshift Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 31, 2020
    Centralia IL
    Full Name:
    Lyle D. Pahnke
    Stage 4 poor prognosis. If/when he passes you have made his day and will never regret that. I made the mistake of watching a fellow at the airport restore lovingly an airplane like I had that was flying. He had cancer (unknown to me at the time) and I have regretted to this day that I never had the presence of mind to offer him a ride in a fully functional plane before he passed. He did not live to see the plane completely restored, but it was completed and flown to a new owner.

mwstewart, one4torque and Red 27 like this.
  8. Flyingbrick242

Flyingbrick242 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2017
    Northern AZ.
    Well done sir.!
    In a very troubled country and abroad these stories touch my soul...
    Kindness and humbleness will always be priceless.

Reacherman1022 and mwstewart like this.
  9. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I took the red car to a car show. A lady and her daughter were walking by and the daughter saw all the models posing by my car and she told her mom she wanted to be like the other girls. Her mom propped her up in front of my fender and she gave us her best model smile.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Another fun story.
    Awhile back I was in the red car and needed to run an errand (Home Depot I think) then to Starbucks for a coffee. I had to pass Starbucks on the way to the store and on the opposite side of the street was a high school car wash fund raiser. But this was not your typical football/soccer/etc. fundraiser. There was a big sign painted with water colors that said, "HIGH SCHOOL SCIENCE FAIR". The kids were all small and nerdy looking and were just standing around. No one wanted to come to their car wash. When I left Home Depot, I drove by again and they were still standing there with no wanting to stop by. So I rolled in with the big Ferrari and stopped the car right next to the hoses. These kids' mouths were gaped open. I told them to rinse the car only and only use soap on the wheels, and dry the car with soft towels, then I walked across the street to Starbucks.
    About 20 minutes later I walk out of the coffee shop and back across the street, only to see this huge line of cars behind mine, waiting to be washed. When I jumped into my car, this tiny little shy Asian girl walked up to me with a clear plastic jar that had maybe two one dollar bills and some loose change. I dropped in a hundred dollar bill and took off.

11. 67bmer

67bmer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 28, 2015
    MD
    That's how Rush would have done it!!

swc5150 and SoftwareDrone like this.
  12. Paul Kane

Paul Kane Karting

May 27, 2020
    Rickmansworth UK
    Full Name:
    Paul Kane
    A mench too

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

13. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    great to share you auto with some people you touched them!

I pulled into my local coffee shop...... when this crazy SUV driving skidz to a stop behind my 360..... he says his kid is car crazy and asked permission if her can see the ferrari........ I'm like yes please! junior is all of a sudden bashful...... big smile but holding back.... I say go ahead hop in grab the wheel..... he looks at pops... and pops says go for it son!....... junior hops in and grabs a handful of gated shifter.... missing teeth and all....... pic snapped..... made my day as much as the little one........

mwstewart likes this.
  14. Snapshift

Snapshift Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 31, 2020
    Centralia IL
    Full Name:
    Lyle D. Pahnke
    During Covid last year, our Lenten "fish frys" were drive through only and on one Friday ,our Priest was handing out the bags of fish . His jaw dropped when I drove through the line in the Ferrari and he made note of it. Since then he has asked for a ride, and in turn I asked him to bless the car, which he graciously did.
    (I need all the help I can get) It was a "spirited" drive and he had a blast. After that he later asked me if he could reward the Jr. high basketball players with rides in the local Ferrari if they did well. I said sure. He was so proud that they won their State division, so now we are arranging rides for the team. The students are really "driven" at the school and I am fortunate to do so, and set an example of hard work. We are indeed fortunate. I will never forget that.

BDM348, bernieb, AandSC and 1 other person like this.
  15. Sergio Tavares

Sergio Tavares Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2018
    Full Name:
    Sergio Tavares
    Kind heart of sporting cars
    Bravo

16. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    I am going to try to take my 360 to a couple of fundraiser car shows this year. Let kids sit in the car, who knows maybe give a few rides. Those of us that own a Ferrari tend to forget the mystique of the car. It is real. Justified? That’s another thread. :D

BDM348 and Sergio Tavares like this.
  17. delaney

delaney Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    St Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    PETER DELANEY
    Stopped at traffic lights. Top down. SUV pulls up alongside. Window comes down. Extremely extremely attractive older woman leans out the window. With pouted lips she says… This is very embarrassing. I’m looking up with apprehension. She leans back…..and a little 12-year-old girl stretches across her and says… I just love your car.

Bummer!!

E60 M5 likes this.
  18. swc5150

swc5150 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 5, 2021
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Scott Calderwood
    A friend once suggested to me that a Ferrari is like keeping fresh flowers on your front porch...it's not just for you, it beautifies the neighborhood.

Reacherman1022, Jdubbya and AandSC like this.