2010 599 HGTE spare tire and emergency start code questions | FerrariChat

2010 599 HGTE spare tire and emergency start code questions

Discussion in '612/599' started by pwjj2000, Mar 22, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pwjj2000

pwjj2000 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 10, 2021
    USA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Hi guys,
    Pretty new to this site but have already found a wealth of valuable information. Looking for some info for my recently purchased 2010 599 HGTE.
    As I am in NY with some pretty sketchy roads, especially after a crazy winter with constant freeze/thaw cycles, I am considering carrying a space saver spare. Trying to locate a Ferrari one online but they are pricey and only shipping from Europe so far. Anyone know if something off brand will work? Was also hoping someone might have a photo of how it was stored in the trunk when it was ordered as a factory option. Doubt it’s worth doing or even if I could modify/change my trunk, (mine has the tool kit box recessed in the trunk floor), but would like to see how it came from the factory. \And if anyone has added the spare option afterwards I would love to hear about it.

Also need to find out my car’s emergency start code in case the electronic code built into the keys happens to fail and I can’t start the car. (My car did not have the code card with it.) I will contact Ferrari directly and inquire, but was wondering if anyone has found a good way to source it. My first try with one of the dealers near me resulted in them telling me I’d have to replace the ECU and various other ignition system parts to get a working code. Hard to believe that’s the only way- even for Ferrari?

Additionally searching for the leather straps in the trunk that hold the manual pouch, and a Ferrari Cascade BE 6112 radio "System CD" if anyone has any sources other than online search and dealers.

Appreciate any info that can be shared!

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    The spare wheel is a 114.3 mm x 5 bolt pattern and that works out to a standard 4.5" bolt pattern common to a bunch of cars here and in Europe. You would need one with an inflated diameter between 26.8" (f diameter) and 28.4" (r diameter), or 681- 721 mm. Unfortunately, I do not have any photos of the 599 spare tire set-up, just what is in the OM and parts catalog, which is not too helpful.

3. *599GTB*

*599GTB* Karting

Mar 15, 2016
    North West UK
    Full Name:
    SEG
    Hi, this is how the spare is located. The staps I made with some leather strap and rivets of ebay. I used the original buckles and the old stap as a template.

Attached Files:

George Vosburgh likes this.
  4. pwjj2000

pwjj2000 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 10, 2021
    USA
    Full Name:
    Paul
  5. pwjj2000

pwjj2000 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 10, 2021
    USA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Thank you, 599 GTB, that's helpful seeing how it fits in there. Have you ever had the misfortune of using your spare? Very curious as to what you might have done with the removed flat tire & wheel. Perhaps it would fit better in your trunk with the spare removed, but with my trunk there is no way it can fit in there. If you have a passenger there is nowhere inside the car for it even if you could wrap it to protect the interior. I've done some experimenting and the best I could figure was to have something with you to pad the trunk lip and top and have the flat partially out of the trunk and lash the trunk lid down. And drive very slowly and carefully for as short a distance as possible. A fairly desperate solution. Calling a flatbed is sounding better and better. If one was available of course.

6. pwjj2000

pwjj2000 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 10, 2021
    USA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Thanks Tazandjan, that info broadens the possibilities of locating one that would work.

7. Riomaa

Riomaa Karting

May 8, 2021
    Full Name:
    LP
    I had a flat shortly after getting my 599. Had to get a flatbed out to pick me up. I looked into a spare and I've had the very same thought as you. I've asked others and nobody has thought about it or had personal experience with it. If you're driving locally/close by then a flatbed is fine. If you're traveling far, which is what a GT is supposed to be for, I feel like you'd have to bring something to cut the damaged tire off, be a POS and leave the leftover rubber on the side of the road, and carefully jam the rim in the trunk. Except if you're traveling far then you probably have luggage in your trunk. Possibly a passenger like you've mentioned. Now you're stuck padding the trunk and tying it down. I also have GTO rims so I might not even be able to fit them in the trunk. I should have tested it out before mounting them but I guess that's hindsight. And so my car has never made a GT-like trip for these reasons.

8. pwjj2000

pwjj2000 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 10, 2021
    USA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Exactly my thoughts and dilemma! I too want to use my car for longer trips and there may be areas where a flatbed is either ridiculously expensive or simply not available. I have an HGTE so I have 20" rims as well. I had a front tire off the car recently so did some trunk fit testing with the poor results mentioned in my previous post. The rear tire would be even worse as it's considerably wider and the sidewall is even taller.
    Interesting, I never thought of getting the flat tire off the rim and just taking the rim, I will check the trunk fit without a tire, it certainly has to be better. Agree it would be bad on several levels to leave the removed tire behind. I really want to drive my car -that's why I bought it!- but am also a type A that wants to prepare for and handle common foreseen problems like a flat. May not have happened often, but it has occurred at some point on every car I've ever owned. If a flatbed isn't as option, you really have few choices other than a spare and limping to the closest place to get the tire repaired, (if even possible), or replaced. And of course the likelihood of a tire shop having the correct tire and size in stock is slim at best not to mention any expertise in working with your expensive wheel rim. Still trying to come up with the best solution.

9. pwjj2000

pwjj2000 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 10, 2021
    USA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    FYI, one of my local dealers told me that the emergency start code would have to come from Ferrari and would cost $500!
    Anyone know if the emergency start code is the same number as the key code? If so, I may be in luck as I'm owed a 2nd key from the seller and should get the key code with it.

10. *599GTB*

*599GTB* Karting

Mar 15, 2016
    North West UK
    Full Name:
    SEG
    I have not had cause to use the spare as yet thankfully. I had a quick measure up in the space where the spare is located and the wheel off the rear (20”) should fit in. There won’t be much room left over though. That means most of your luggage will have to go on the rear shelf.

11. pwjj2000

pwjj2000 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 10, 2021
    USA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Thanks, good to know. I assume it would have to lay flat on the trunk floor as it wouldn't fit in the vertical recess for the narrower spare rim as the regular rim is much wider?

12. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    As I recall, the 599 can have keys programmed with an SD. It is different than the 360's system. You might check with another dealer.

13. *599GTB*

*599GTB* Karting

Mar 15, 2016
    North West UK
    Full Name:
    SEG
    It should go upright, if you look at my first picture you can see the recess in the floor which takes the size and the height is just about on the limit. When I get a wheel off again I’ll give it a try

pwjj2000 likes this.
  14. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Something good to carry is a compressor that has alligator clips for the battery. Allows you to fill up a tire (possibly several times) and get to a place that can repair the tire. Some folks also carry a plug kit.

Spacesaver tire definitely does not answer the question of what to do with the bad tire and wheel. Hide it on the side of the road?

15. pwjj2000

pwjj2000 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 10, 2021
    USA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Totally agree. Already have a compressor and plug kit. Small size and low cost items that might save you taking a wheel off. I had also thought of hiding it or if available leaving it with someone/somewhere that seemed trustworthy till you could come back (if a reasonable distance).