Advice with dealer experience | FerrariChat

Advice with dealer experience

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Ardavon, Apr 6, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ardavon

Ardavon Rookie

Mar 31, 2022
    Hello everyone!

I am a new member here and joined to seek advice with an experience I am having with a Ferrari dealer in the US. I currently have a Cali T and I was looking to trade this in and order a Roma, and I have had several prior pleasant experiences with this dealer (where I also purchased my Cali T from) so of course reached out to them to discuss. We previously have had a good relationship and I purchased my car and regularly service my car through them.

After going back and forth negotiating the trade numbers, we finally came to an agreement with the sales person through text. I have all the texts with the dealer explicitly stating the trade in value for my car, and the ordering process with deposit and all the info for the Roma. I even spoke on the phone with the general manager of the dealership where he also again confirmed the same trade in value and how he can have me in a September build Roma for delivery at the end of the year. We again agreed on the deal and I confirmed I would move forward with dropping off my car and deposit check as well as working to spec the Roma with the salesperson.

Monday comes and I am in discussion with the salesperson of all the logistics and discussing spec of the Roma, and I mention I will be heading there to get everything done and out of nowhere I get a text saying that as they were prepping all the paperwork, the sales manager (not GM that I spoke to) - someone I had never spoken to- states to the salesperson that they can only do the agreed trade in price if I purchased a pre-owned vehicle from them in addition to the Roma order, or alternatively they can do that trade in price for a pre-owned vehicle but not the Roma order we had discussed. From the beginning I communicated very clearly I was not interested in any of their pre owned inventory and I wanted to order a new Roma. The salesperson and general manager were both well aware I was only interested in ordering a Roma. I had agreed on the phone with the general manager of the dealership in addition to the salesperson through text several times.The salesperson himself was shocked, and mentioned he will speak to the GM and get everything sorted and get back to me. The salesperson and I both thought we had a finished deal, and both confused as to what had changed. Days have now passed, and I have sent text messages, phone calls, emails to the GM and the salesperson and they are now both blatantly ignoring me. I have received zero communication from anyone from the dealership and unfortunately stuck on what to do. I have reached out to other dealerships in the state but unfortunately they have very long wait times for (Romas 18-36 months apparently compared to the 7-9 months I was being offered) and many other dealers mentioned Ferrari would not even let them order a vehicle for me as I am more than 100 miles away from their dealership and I would have to deal with my local dealership.

Has anyone had any sort of experience like this before and any advice?

Much appreciated

2. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    They don't deserve your business. It's just a car. Your pride should worth more. Assuming what you said is true and you can back it up, post the name of this dealer, and the names of the people you dealt with.

Sounds like a ghetto dealer.

3. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Has the dealer recently changed parent ownership by chance? Based on the details you shared and respecting you not wanting to post the dealer name my only speculation is that the salesperson and GM you made the deal with are/have been with the dealership a while possibly are now having to take direction from someone new inserted as part of a change in parent ownership who neither respects the dealership's relationships, ethics or reputation and is just there to increase immediate profits and take advantage of the market. Just speculation.

It is obviously ridiculous since you already bought a car from them so you are not someone strolling in that has never been there before wanting to trade in their BMW or Mercedes and order a Roma - You bought you Cali from them and are a regular service customer. You are trading the car you bought from them back in so a) you are a repeat/previous Ferrari owner and b) a repeat customer of that dealership so they get to make profit three times essentially - 1) on your Cali purchase - 2) on the Roma purchase and 3) When they sell your Cali since obviously they will sell it for more that they give you on trade.

Makes no sense to me - As much as I love Ferrari this is precisely why people get turned off by them in some cases and why high-visibility stars/car guys like Leno make negative statements about Ferrari. I guarantee you if you walked into an Aston, Lambo, Mclaren dealer and wanted to trade your Cali and either order a new car or buy one in inverntory should they have something they would fall all over themselves to earn your business.

I am lucky since my local dealer has been able to maintain the same level of customer focus and relationships despite being bought by a parent company a few years ago but in many cases this does not happen and it is sad. IMHO in any business you have to treat your customers like gold during the good times and the bad - it is the same with high-end watches right now - some ADs treat their repeat customers like gold when they had cases full of Rolexes etc, and still do when everything incurs a wait list - others treat their repeat customers like crap just because the market is so hot. This is not a solid/long-term sustainable model and when things crash and go back to normal they will pay for it.

Unfortunately you are in a bad position because if you want a new Ferrari you are at the behest of the dealers and they hold all the cards - sucks. Hope this works out for you.

Cheers

Caeruleus11, Ardavon and Thomas S. like this.
  4. Ardavon

Ardavon Rookie

Mar 31, 2022
    I am going to give them the benefit of the doubt and give them a few more days to get back to me before I publicly name everyone involved. They have always been pleasant to me in the past so that’s why this experience has been so strange. I have screenshots of the conversation with the salesperson that very clearly state the deal and agreement. Happy to share all the info with anyone interested via PM.

Shorn355 likes this.
  5. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Can you physically pay a visit to the dealer? Sometimes these types of situations are best sorted out in person - not suggesting a confrontation but it is a lot easier to blow someone off and ignore them via text/email etc. then when they are physically present - just a suggestion.

Cheers

6. Ardavon

Ardavon Rookie

Mar 31, 2022
    Thank you for your message. The dealer you are thinking of is exactly where this experience occurred. Funny how you were able to guess. I saw the information regarding the sale on another forum post. Sad if the new ownership is choosing to run the business this way as they were extremely pleasant in the past. I attended many of their events and never had any issues with them until this.

It’s also interesting to me that while we were negotiation the trade in price of my car, they very clearly explained the costs of what it will take for them to prepare it for sale (getting it Ferrari certified approved, etc) and what they were planning to list it for, and of course they had plenty of margin for profits. The trade in price they were offering was nothing extraordinary, I have spoke to several dealers who are willing to match and even beat that number, the only issue is finding a replacement car (ordering the Roma from elsewhere) and the tax savings from doing a trade in. I don’t understand how they can decide to act like this with a repeat customer while making profits on my trade in as well as the car I would be ordering (as you mentioned). This whole situation does not seem to make sense to me, hence my posting on this forum.

I totally agree with you on how watch ADs and dealers are treating customers. It’s sad to see so many places you’ve been working with for years change negatively so quickly despite your prior relationship with them.

Kind regards.

7. Ardavon

Ardavon Rookie

Mar 31, 2022
    I appreciate the suggestion, I myself am currently out of state and I had a family member who was going to have everything sorted on my behalf. I guess I will have to stop by once I am back in town…

8. FerrariFinally

FerrariFinally Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2018
    Roseville, CA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    This does suck...big time.

Depending on how badly you want to order a Roma, I would definitely walk and take my business elsewhere.

Just the "ignoring" part is absolutely inexcusable. How hard is it to text back...I am still working with the GM or owner, please give me a few more days...BAM! EASY!

Viperjoe and Ardavon like this.
  9. Ffre92

Ffre92 Formula Junior

May 26, 2014
    NY
    I guess it depends on your goal. If you are building a relationship with the dealer so you can eventually get access to more limited production models, then u just have to take it and play the game. But geez, if they make u do that for a Roma, I can’t imagine what ungodly things they will make u do for an f8 pista/speciale aperta…

if not, tell them to take a hike, plenty other exciting cars to be had new or used.

Ardavon likes this.
  10. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Yeah the sad thing is they are not thinking/looking at this from a past and future lens (well the sales guy and GM are but the influx of "new blood" is just focused on short-term/immediate profit) and since the demand far exceeds the supply they frankly could care less if you order a Roma from them because they probably have a list of people who will order one and pay way over list and no trade to deal with so quick and easy short-term profit - and while I personally love Cali's (and with all due respect for your car) Cali Ts are not the hottest selling pre-owned Ferrari and kind of fall in a gap between the normal Cali's and the Porto's so it is possible they could have it for a while before turning immediate profit. Does not/should not matter since you negotiated a deal with them in good faith but my guess is the "new" guy put the kabash on the deal because there is no shortage of people willing to order Roma's without a trade and the fact that the trade might take up showroom space for a while.

My only advice/guidance is to perhaps set up an onsite meeting with everyone as suggested in my earlier post - or just show up if logistically feasible. That said, if it was me this whole scenario would taint the deal even if they end up honoring it and I would be skeptical to spend that kind of money with a dealership (at least currently) being run in an unethical manner.

Depending on how special the spec is for the Roma, you could probably just hang on to the Cali and put the word out for any pre-owned Roma's coming available either from people getting them and then trading for a Roma "GTS" or whatever the Spider variant is or perhaps not liking them and trading for a pre-owned 812 or F8 etc. - opening up your options for a pre-owned car also opens up the wider scope of working with other dealers who will treat you properly. That said, you probably still want to maintain the relationship with the Service dept unless you want to incur the costs of shipping to a longer-distance dealer (which a lot of people do actually).

Anyway - This sucks and I hate to hear stories like this - It is bad for the marque and disappointing for people who love and are loyal to Ferrari. I personally know several people who were financially and culturally ready to realize their dream of Ferrari ownership and went another direction just because they were treated like crap by a dealership.

I think you are taking the right approach to give them the benefit of the doubt - If I had to guess I bet there are some .... ahem .... "passionate" discussions taking place between the sales guy and the GM you worked with and whoever nixed the deal - perhaps that will sort itself out and they will honor the deal - Hope it all works out.

Cheers

Ardavon likes this.
  11. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    I agree with your suggestion as that is what us the older folks do. But in this era, it could be viewed as confrontational the moment he steps foot in the door because the other side would be pissed at the guy did not get the point.

12. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Yeah I agree - sad but true - the days of sorting things out face to face are kind of over - To your point simply trying to could be viewed as a confrontation. It is just sad to me that something that should be SO exciting and enjoyable turns to crap for this guy. I don't have a dog in the fight but just conceptually annoys me. I mean pretty much everyone on here dreamed of someday owning a Ferrari of any sort - much less being able to spec and order one (hell I currently own two and have owned four and never spec'd and ordered a new one) - for that to get all jacked up is just sad.

Your point is good advice though - Cheers :)

Ardavon likes this.
  13. Zamboniman308

Zamboniman308 Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2020
    Chicago IL
    Could it be as simple as the promised build slot is going to a higher bidder?

Even so the ignoring part is unacceptable. I'm with another poster... just a car... speak with your wallet and take it elsewhere. When they decide to call you back when they need you, you can explain why they can shove it. I dont have time for games. They either want to make a transaction or they dont.

14. Dave Bertrand

Dave Bertrand Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 24, 2005
    Castle Rock, CO
    I'd head to the Aston Martin dealer. The cars are just as beautiful and luxurious as a Roma (some would say even more) and buying one doesn't entail any game-playing.

Having to chase the dealer to sell you a car is absurd. The Ferrari dealer obviously does not care about your loyalty or history with them. If they don't respond by Monday morning, I think you should take your self respect, your business, and your Cali elsewhere.

Gh21631, Lunch Bag, Ridgeback and 2 others like this.
  15. Dave Bertrand

Dave Bertrand Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 24, 2005
    Castle Rock, CO
    Have you considered a Porsche turbo or GT3?

16. Ardavon

Ardavon Rookie

Mar 31, 2022
    I really appreciate everyone’s posts and feedback. It makes me feel a bit better than I’m not the only one who thinks how they are acting is ridiculous. It’s a really unfortunate situation as I had the Roma already spec’d out and my whole family was really looking forward to it. We spent most of the weekend building the car and deciding on all the options, and to finally decide on everything and to go from expecting the car by the end of the year to nothing is upsetting. My Cali T was purchased pre owned so this was going to be the first time I had the chance to build and spec my own Ferrari. I’m just genuinely shocked by the whole experience and never thought I’d be treated like this trying to spend a significant amount of money on a car… a simple apology or explanation would have sufficed, but to say we’ll get back to you then not have the courtesy to pick up the phone when I call is what really bugs me. And I know they’re at the dealership and available as I’ve spoken to the dealership’s receptionist who mentioned she will let them know to call me back.

I love the new GT3 but unfortunately it seems to be difficult to get one of those new. All seem to be around $100K+ over sticker and personally I don’t like paying over MSRP for any car. I really enjoyed my Cali T and I love the history behind Ferrari and their F1 team and everything, so I was really looking for another Ferrari, but I guess I have to consider some other options as well.

I’m speaking with a few other Ferrari dealers out of state to see what options there are, and they are waiting to hear back from their Ferrari reps to see if I’d be able to order a Roma. Never thought it would be so difficult. Seems like even if they get approval from Ferrari it would take awhile and be a bit logistically difficult. I also heard order books for the Roma will be closing pretty soon so I guess we’ll see what happens.

Thank you so much everyone. I really appreciate everyone taking the time to read and discuss.

Ridgeback likes this.
  17. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Yup!! FWIW as much I love Ferrari I would take a Vantage or DB11 in a heartbeat over a Roma - and if you are so inclined I believe you can still get a manual in the Vantage AMR (if it is still offered for 2022 - not sure) without paying stupid money for what should be an option offered by any sports/exotic car company.

I have driven a Roma and a Vantage and far prefer the Vantage - and a fully-loaded Vantage is about $100K less than a Roma and you don't have to wear knee pads and get lock-jaw to buy one :) I have not driven a DB11 but believe it is around the same money as a Roma and if the Vantage was that good then I would think the DB11 is worth the extra money and perhaps even more on par or ahead of the Roma.

As I have posted in another thread I am currently torn between holding out for the perfect 599 or ordering a Roma - given the feedback and after driving the Vantage I have eliminated the Roma and focused on the 599 but the Vantage would be my 1st choice if I were to break ranks with Ferrari for a front-engine sports/exotic.

Good luck - Cheers :)

Lunch Bag, Ridgeback and Boomhauer like this.
  18. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    I don't think you did your homework. I don't think you are telling the whole story .

Everybody seems to like hating dealers. It's old imo .

RyanFoH likes this.
  19. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    what? you know somebody in the dealer?

AREDSTALLION likes this.
  20. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    This story is pretty appalling, but in fact it's even worse than already described in post #3. Not only did this dealership stand to make $ selling you the Roma and reselling your current car, not to mention the $ they already made when you bought the current car, they've made $ servicing it too! And we all know that service is a huge part of any dealer's revenue, especially ones that receive such small allocations of new cars. Such hubris!
    P.S.: Consider consulting a local lawyer who's experienced in contract law to see if your various texts, etc. might rise to the level of making out an enforceable contract- it's not likely, but . . .

Ridgeback likes this.
  21. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    huh?

was I that cryptic?

RyanFoH likes this.
  22. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    well you said he was not telling the whole story. Why did you say that?

23. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    so ask that question...

the line of conversation between op & others sounds "off " to me, I know it when I hear it kind of thing. At a minimum I wonder what the intonations were. Was op over excited and failed to hear possible negatives , was salesperson just up selling , can't tell from what he wrote , I only read lamenting.

He wants to buy a car , go to the dealer and make the deal , or wire them a deposit . Not every dealer has the same allocations and lead times , nor can they guarantee lead times.

IloveGT likes this.
  24. F612

F612 Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2018
    Leeds,AL
    Full Name:
    David D. Hood
    Pick up the phone and call the GM.
    Forget text.
    If he/she won’t talk to you go find another dealer.

Ridgeback, paulchua and Ardavon like this.
  25. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    The car market is just appalling right now. Can't imagine being treated that way when you want to spend $300k on a mass produced Ferrari.