What Bourbon/Scotch are you drinking? | Page 37 | FerrariChat

What Bourbon/Scotch are you drinking?

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by gh0st0, Oct 24, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

I got this the other day. Never heard of it. It has a sweet taste. It’s ok, probably won’t get it again but yet another random pick out of a sea of unknowns. I guess options are good.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

HardTen and E60 M5 like this.
  2. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Might as well post this in the present thread (quote from 2009 from a prior thread on the topic):

I remember buying the red label Black Maple Hill for $35 a bottle and it was my go-to. Then it was revealed that it was a Julian Van Winkle side project and it pretty much disappeared. Sotheby's just auctioned some:

$1,500.00 + auction fees for the same stuff: https://www.sothebys.com/en/buy/auction/2022/american-muscle-rare-whiskey-bourbon-rye/black-maple-hill-small-batch-bourbon-95-proof-nv-1-7

$3,000.00 + auction fees for the black label: https://www.sothebys.com/en/buy/auction/2022/american-muscle-rare-whiskey-bourbon-rye/black-maple-hill-small-batch-bourbon-16-year-old-10
    $3,750 + auction fees : https://www.sothebys.com/en/buy/auction/2022/american-muscle-rare-whiskey-bourbon-rye/black-maple-hill-small-batch-bourbon-16-year-old wish I tried it when it was $70...

$4,375 + auction fees for the 23 year https://www.sothebys.com/en/buy/auction/2022/american-muscle-rare-whiskey-bourbon-rye/black-maple-hill-single-barrel-rye-23-year-old-95-4
    $7,500 + auction fees https://www.sothebys.com/en/buy/auction/2022/american-muscle-rare-whiskey-bourbon-rye/black-maple-hill-single-barrel-rye-23-year-old-95-3
    wish I tried it when it was $140...

$12,000 + auction fees for the 15 year single barrel https://www.sothebys.com/en/buy/auction/2022/american-muscle-rare-whiskey-bourbon-rye/black-maple-hill-single-barrel-rye-15-year-old-98 insane...

Regards,

Art S.

NbyNW, armedferret and E60 M5 like this.
  3. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    A really good friend came thru clutch with a friend to keep my Jack Rose ECSB company.

I'll be doing a tasting tomorrow since I have the day off. I really just plan on day-drinking and napping so I'm awake for qualifying but I figure if I call it a tasting it sounds a lot classier.

and since the JR pick is called "X marks the spot"....here's a non-whiskey-related photo (but also sort of cause I'd had a couple drams of OWA before we went to dinner and we did a fairly well-buzzed wander to find it after) anyway hopefully someone gets the joke.

jahdish likes this.
  4. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
    AtomicPunk88, jahdish, NbyNW and 3 others like this.
  5. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    AtomicPunk88, JL350, NbyNW and 2 others like this.
  6. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    rob lay likes this.
  7. 360Tom

360Tom Formula 3

May 9, 2013
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Where did you find Blantons single for 79? I can only find it at 149 right now

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

8. Bodazzie

Bodazzie Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2014
    Pacific Grove, CA
    Full Name:
    William
    I purchased it at the Nugget Supermarket in Sacramento, CA

360Tom likes this.
  9. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    If you know anyone in the navy have them haunt the NEX on post on delivery days (Annapolis Naval Academy is Mondays/Thursdays). It's 42.99 ;)

AtomicPunk88, HardTen and 360Tom like this.
  10. jahdish

jahdish Karting

Aug 9, 2004
    tampa, fl
    Full Name:
    Paul Dziadosz
    360Tom, 1mean3, AtomicPunk88 and 7 others like this.
  11. HardTen

HardTen Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 7, 2011
    Ft. Worth, TX
    Stopped on the way home at the local Spec’s and picked up these four bottles. The Benchmark Bonded & Single Barrel are actually quite good…especially for the money. Much better than the regular Benchmark 8. The MM is a private barrel cask strength that I’ve heard really good things about. The Col. EH Taylor Small Batch is well Col. EH Taylor SB.

NbyNW and armedferret like this.
  12. HardTen

HardTen Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 7, 2011
    Ft. Worth, TX
    I bought this bottle in December at a charity raffle coordinated/hosted by our local FCA Chapter to benefit a local childrens shelter. I opened it a few weeks ago when some fellow FCA members were able to come over for the afternoon. It is excellent and everyone really enjoyed it. Distilled in 1964, bottled 49 years later in 2013, and opened in 4/2022. If you happen to see it I highly recommend it.

NbyNW likes this.
  13. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    It's my "daily driver" I really like all of Balvenie's line up. the 15 year sherry cask is my favorite. I like the 17 and 21 as well, but interestingly not as much as the caribbean cask and the 15 year. the 12 year is also an excellent one. I keep all of them around but the 14 and 15 get replaced the most often. :)

as an aside, I have it on very good authority that the weller 12 and the pappy 12 are 99% the same thing. So save about a grand and try the weller 12.

Wikdstrate likes this.
  14. JAYKAY

JAYKAY Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 4, 2009
    Naperville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jim K
    I’m not sure if this will run afoul of the mods, but I’ve been banned from better places than this!

I am on the board of our local Humane Society, and decided to reach into my bourbon collection to help raise money for a $2 million expansion we just completed. I thought a Buffalo Trace line up would help. All 36 of the bottles are mine, and of course I don’t benefit financially. Check it out if you would like to support the organization and can make it to Chicago to collect the winnings in-person:

https://www.naperhumane.org/bourbon-raffle

JK

vincent355 and stever like this.
  15. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    soulsea likes this.
  16. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
  17. renman95

renman95 Karting

Jul 16, 2016
    Oahu, leeward side
    Full Name:
    D8LF
    Two years ago this month I was in my local Pantry and found a bottle of MACALLAN 25 priced at $1,375(?) It was near $2,500 before corona. M30 was going for $2,589 then - somehow I remember that number. A few months later I see another bottle of M25 on the shelf, priced around $2,400. The M30 was still $2,589. It stayed like that until last months when I saw the M30 priced at $5,289! What gives?

18. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    JL350, NbyNW, soulsea and 2 others like this.
  19. 1mean3

1mean3 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 26, 2012
    soulsea, HardTen and armedferret like this.
  20. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    haven't personally tried but have heard fantastic things.

i find bittersweet joy in an empty bottle. it's gone, but it was likely shared in good company or at least enjoyed in good surroundings. :)

Here's to several more to come!

21. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
  22. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    HardTen, NbyNW and soulsea like this.
  23. 360Tom

360Tom Formula 3

May 9, 2013
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I know I’m probably late to the party but I just watched the documentary “neat” on Hulu. Needless to say, I ended up 7 different bourbon bottles shortly afterwards

24. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    Tried some Coy Hill on Saturday. Really good but a touch too hot.