458 - 458 Italia purchase advise | FerrariChat

458 458 Italia purchase advise

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by speedgod, Apr 15, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. speedgod

speedgod Rookie

May 14, 2019
  2. Snewton94024

Snewton94024 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2015
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Steve Newton
  3. jc1

jc1 Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2021
    Greenville, SC
    Full Name:
    Joey (2012 458 Spider)
    I purchased my 458 privately about a year ago. Sent it to a dealer for power warranty inspection (basically my way of getting a PPI).

Inspection was $1400 and 12 month power warranty was $4900.

With the cost of a new gearbox if it fails, I'd say $6k for 2 years is absolutely worth it for the peace of mind.

Alex HH and ryalex like this.
  4. mkraft3003

mkraft3003 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2016
    Tampa, Fl
  5. todd cloud

todd cloud Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    Todd
    I paid 4,900 for 2 years
    the price is negotiable to an extent
    6,000 seems a bit high

6. triathgeek

triathgeek Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2010
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Almost 8 years and 26k miles without an extended warranty on my 2010 458. Only had a few minor issues that wouldn’t have been covered anyway. Remember this warranty is not bumper to bumper like the new car warranty. A little math…. $4500 x 8 = $36K saved + I’ve been seeing an average of 8% return on this money that goes into my investments. If my trans goes south it can be repaired by some dealers for approx $9-11k so I’m thinking I’m money ahead to repair or replace.

430jm, toomanymodz, up4speed and 2 others like this.
  7. Art138

Art138 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Have to agree…as long as due diligence is conducted and car has not been trashed or tracked cost benefit in my opinion offsets paying circa 5k for the extended warranty for two years.

8. todd cloud

todd cloud Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    Todd
    at $4900 for 2 years = $200 per month.
    worth it? i thought so.

9. Art138

Art138 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Corrected…meant for two years….each to their own ….have had several Fcars to include my Pista without the extended warranty.

10. speedgod

speedgod Rookie

May 14, 2019
    I got quoted a firm $6k for two years of coverage. I’m probably naive since this is my first Ferrari but an engine/transmission replacement sounds very pricey and this is giving me piece of mind.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

11. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I never buy warranties, and I'm WAY ahead over the years. Warranty companies are in business to make money, not give it out. So, either you are a numbers guy and play probability, or are the type of person that would rather pay for peace on mind. No right or wrong choice here. It is personal preference. I started a thread a while back regarding this topic to see how many members on the forum made out ahead with the warranty vs wasting their money. If I remember correctly, I think it was somewhere between 15% and 18% of the people benefited from it, vs 82%-85% benefited by not having it. Once again, that was all based purely on numbers, not satisfaction, or comfort/security.

rw99 and Challenge like this.
  12. speedgod

speedgod Rookie

May 14, 2019
    That’s very helpful. Thank you for sharing that summary of your findings. I wouldn’t normally buy a warranty either but with 5 previous owners I need the piece of mind.

rw99, AD211 and up4speed like this.
  13. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Totally understandable.

14. RS458

RS458 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2020
    Arizona
    My understanding is that the dealer cost is $4,500 (they get 2 years for the price of 1 year on a certified car purchased from a dealer). But the price may have gone up recently.

15. VelocityTexas

VelocityTexas Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2019
    North Texas
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    Correct, if the car is a CPO purchased at a Ferrari dealership then the two years for the price of one is the rate. Otherwise it's one for one.

16. speedgod

speedgod Rookie

May 14, 2019
    I asked if they could go down from 6k, but they would only offer discounted wheel and tire packages. All good. I can’t wait to get the car.

plastique999 and ryalex like this.
  17. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I probably lost money on my 458 warranty, in 11k miles I got 2 or 3 small services out of it that were maybe $2k total.

For my F12 warranty I'm easily $30k upside already, with five repairs (DCT was $23k+, alternator belt x2 + upgraded pulley, fuel filler neck, rear fender corrosion).

rw99 likes this.
  18. Stams

Stams Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 30, 2020
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Sean
    On both of my Ferrari purchases I negotiated the new power warranty for free. Times are a bit different now. Sellers market.

I also needed the peace of mind and didn’t have any repairs needed coverage.

19. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    A lot depends on your risk tolerance and budget. And how long you think you will own the car. The most common serious failure is bad sensors inside the gearbox. It doesn’t happen to everyone. But when it does, it can mean $10-15k. That’s down from the early days when the only cure was a new $30k gearbox. If you keep the car for 2+ years, skip the warranty and nothing happens, you have $12k put away.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

ryalex likes this.
  20. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Agree, didn’t have warranty on my 16M, was bulletproof.
    Don’t plan to have extended warranties on my Speciales either.
    Have CPO on my TDF but don’t think I’ll extend that either.
    The modern Ferraris do quite well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Art138 likes this.
  21. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    What happened with the DCT?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ryalex likes this.
  22. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Thanks for your reply. I was recently quoted $7k for one year, including the mandatory in-depth/comprehensive inspection (must now be performed according to the dealer) on a ‘15 458 Italia with 17k miles, zero issues from new, never tracked, 100% F-dealer serviced and zero claims on the warranty.

At 7k per year for a Power warranty, every two years you’ve paid for a sensor replacement/repair with the cost of the warranty. The cost to benefit math equation is getting a wee bit wonky…

Of course, I’m told you get an annual service included at the $7k, so that is a benefit. I was also told there is no discount for zero warranty claims, even though I was told that was available when I bought it in 2019.

Are the programme rules and prices up to the individual dealer?

Cheers !

23. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    “The usual” failure: the seal around the drive shaft. The techs explained this is the most common DCT issue, this seal goes and fluid starts to leak/mix:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

I stopped by to see the progress and they showed me around and walked me through they were doing (which they always do and why I love Ferrari of Las Vegas - Rich and Tavis are real superstars). That said I get totally queasy seeing any car like this because I have nightmares about not being able to put mechanical or electronic things back together.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

rw99 and AD211 like this.
  24. rmk40

rmk40 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 3, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Rafi
    Generally if you just set aside the money you would spend on various warranties over the years, you’re going to end up ahead. As others have mentioned, selling these contracts generates profit. Probably substantial profit.

Also keep in mind that you do not need to have repairs done at the dealer. Independents are just as good and sometimes better, who can source the same parts for a fraction of the price. Or, it’s not really much effort to source them yourself.

I can state as a fact that I’ve had the dealer quote me 3-4x what I ultimately paid for parts and labor. Example, go ask your dealer how much a new battery will be. You’ll get a number around $750-900. Battery itself costs $250 for a high quality AGM and literally takes 30 minutes to install. I’ve had them quote me $100 for parts that are $15, OEM, not aftermarket. Ask them what the plastic bolt cover for the seat belts costs if you need proof.

The point here is that part of the peace of mind is to shield from dealer-specific mark up. The value proposition is substantially lower once you’re comfortable using completely capable 3rd party mechanics (many of whom worked at the dealer for lengthy durations anyway) and don’t just take OEM part costs for what the dealer says.

Combine all this with the fact that the 458 has proven to be very reliable. Most of the problems come from letting the cars sit. Perform the regular fluid changes, run them every few weeks, even if just in your garage or go for a 10 minute drive and you’re not likely to have substantial problems. 5 years with my Italia and it’s all been completely minor work I didn’t even have to do but did anyway because I’m a perfectionist with maintenance.

reisskhan and Rexcat458 like this.
  25. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Hello,

Did the mechanics you used in FoLV offer any recommendations on how often the DCT fluid should be changed?

I’ve heard everything from never, to only if it’s leaking and others at specific time intervals.

Just curious if regularly changing the DCT fluid would help to forestall the seal failure indicated in your photos?

Thanks in advance and Cheers!

ryalex likes this.