250 PF Coupe ... | Page 66 | FerrariChat

250 PF Coupe ...

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by djaffrey, Dec 13, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MiuraP400

MiuraP400 Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2008
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Jim
    #1626 MiuraP400, Mar 22, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2022
    Gary is right, but I was hesitant to post that because of what Turbo-joe said. I wanted to double check my facts before posting. Ferrari is odd in that there is a groove cut around the main bearings in the block and main cap so the oil is actually feed in through the bottom. See the attached 250GT photos. For reference I threw in a photo of the baffles for the oil pick up and a shot of the pickup tube.

Note the oil pressure issue was minor, most people would not have noticed, it was on my 330 which I no longer have. Unlike my 250 it was a platinum winner.

Cheers Jim

Attached Files:

amerikalei likes this.
  2. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    Hi Gary, thanks for that explanation, but can you explain a little more? Is the crankshaft thrusting fore and aft as the motor accelerates and decelerates, then the holes alignment changes? Thank you.

john

3. MiuraP400

MiuraP400 Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2008
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Gary is saying the crankshaft is forced down onto the bearing in the main bearing cap under load. This reduces the clearance between the crank and the main bearing reducing the oil flow out of the main bearing. Under no load the crank rises up which increases the gap between the main bearing and the crankshaft journal thus increasing flow. The movement is around 0.002 inch give or take in the vertical direction. Most cars have the oil feed to the upper main bearing so you do not see this movement on the oil pressure gauge but Ferrari's supply the oil through the lower bearing so you see the shift. A shift of a couple of thousands in bearing clearance will make a big difference in oil flow. Especially since there are 7 main bearings. The photo below shows the oil supply is limited to the the lower bearing. Note the groove in the bearing only goes between the two oil holes and does not extend into the upper bearing.

Cheers Jim
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

readplays and amerikalei like this.
  4. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    oh sorry, I forgot that in the lower half bearing there is a groove
    so my thinking was opposite :(

long time ago when I rebuilt a 250 engine and not looking at the photos I did once

but this bearing half looks pretty good

readplays likes this.
  5. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    Thanks Jim, I get it now.

john

6. Ferrari_250tdf

Ferrari_250tdf Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2005
    The oil pressure drop under braking or cornering is a long known problem. Paul Frère, the racer and engineer and test driver who won Le Mans 1960 on a Ferrari 250 TR, mentioned that in a test about the 250 GT TdF in 1958 (Motor Revue # 27 1958) if I remember correctly). I experienced that too and therefor had modified the oil sump with on and filled more oil. You should have minimum 1 liter more than what the manual says. There is basicly no danger of overfilling the oil sump because there is enough distance between the crankshaft and the oil level.

turbo-joe and amerikalei like this.
  7. thepinkumbrella

thepinkumbrella F1 Veteran

Feb 26, 2006
    United Kingdom
  8. bertdeboer340

bertdeboer340 Formula 3

Sep 16, 2003
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert de Boer
    Sorry, don't know

9. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    In reference to Post #1631, in the day, the racers put 14 quarts in the sump and let the motor blow the excess oil out the breathers until it reached a "happy" level. Back then nobody worried about "catch tanks" or oil on the track.

turbo-joe, amerikalei and readplays like this.
  10. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
  11. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
  12. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Engine looked pretty good to me, but crappy color and lots and lots of missing or wrong parts. The description sounded like rust in the wheel wells. The dash looked like black wrinkle paint..........but I didn't look very closely.

13. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Well… they are not sport cars.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

14. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    #1640 TTR, May 5, 2022
    Last edited: May 5, 2022
    Well, ... most Ferraris (vintage era*) aren't.

* Cant' say if most modern ones are or aren't.

turbo-joe and Texas Forever like this.
  15. lancia

lancia Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    This coupe has been for sale for a long time, which does not help. The drum brakes have been replaced with discs. The upholstery is relatively poor. What I have always noticed about this coupe is that the inner frame of the bonnet is strange, not normal Pininfarina Coupe in detail, and appears made up.

16. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    probably robbed the drums for a tr or 250 tdf

turbo-joe likes this.
  17. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    #1643 John Vardanian, May 5, 2022
    Last edited: May 5, 2022
    The chassis page of the build-sheet confirms a drum brake car; however, the presence of a proper handbrake lever and a vacuum assist suggests that the car wasn't necessarily "robbed" of its drum brakes. More likely it returned to the factory or the dealer for a retrofit. There are many early PF coupes with disk brakes.

Imagine, you have just bought a new Ferrari then you realize if you had just waited a few months you could have had the same car with disk brakes. You call the dealer and say WTF! The dealer says, no problem bring it back and we'll do right by you. I think this is how most of these conversions came about, and it's even likely that Ferrari offered a "kit" of sorts.

john

MiuraP400, turbo-joe and readplays like this.
  18. lancia

lancia Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Yes John, possibly a factory conversion. Sometimes the build sheets are hand marked by the factory for conversion notes. I have seen factory hand marks on build sheets for period factory conversion from single Marelli distributor to twin Marelli set. It is unfortunate in my view when the original drum brakes are changed out for discs or when the hairpin valve springs of an inside plug engine are converted to coil springs. The original technical conceptual architecture is lost.

readplays, amerikalei and TTR like this.
  19. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    These cars would often come back to the dealer in a couple years as a trade-in. The other likely scenario is that the dealer would then convert the brakes to make the car an easier resell.

john

TTR, Texas Forever and readplays like this.
  20. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario

Interesting video about a PF Coupé that may have started Lamborghini....

readplays likes this.
  21. V12addict

V12addict Formula Junior

Jan 2, 2004
    Thank you, amazing story about Ferrari and Mr. Lamborghini. But what an ordeal changing the clutch on those old tractors, the whole front end and engine had to come out.:eek:

turbo-joe and readplays like this.
  22. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    1331 GT.
    Born Bianco MM 10319 with plastic and leather Turchese VM 3478 interior.
    However, Ferruccio Lamborghini was not the first and original owner.
    He bought it as a one year old used car on 7 April 1960 and had it registered 27 May 1960 in the town of Ferrara, Italy, because he lived in Renazzo, part of Cento, in the Province of Ferrara.

Marcel Massini

miurasv likes this.
  23. stevewak

stevewak Karting

Jul 31, 2006
    UK
    And I believe openly for sale for a long time and on show for all to see at a dealer in Italy. Marcel will know better than me. Some 'find'.

miurasv likes this.
  24. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    1331 GT has been on the market since at least 2006 (!), in all sorts of condition, without and with some engine. In Switzerland, Italy, Belgium, all over Europe.
    Not really a "find", me thinks.

Marcel Massini

stevewak and miurasv like this.