430 - heater fan not working | FerrariChat

430 heater fan not working

Discussion in '360/430' started by Purch23, Apr 16, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Purch23

Purch23 Karting

Jul 2, 2019
    CT
    Full Name:
    Dave
    2007 F430 18k miles, heater fan stopped working. Heat comes out of the vent but turning the fan speed control knob does not change the fan speed. Its always at a low setting.

I was messing about behind the radio with the iphone cord and thought I blew a fuse (that's happened before with the turn signal fuse). But I don't see a fuse specifically for the fan speed.

There is an ECU for the air/heat system but cold and hot air works fine, just not the fan speed. Maybe disconnecting the battery will reset the ECU, slim chance I imagine.

Any other thoughts before I take the dashboard apart to get at the switch behind the knob?

2. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    There are a couple of fuses on the right hand side of the evaporator unit for your HVAC system (including the blower fan), but I doubt you would get the symptoms you are experiencing if either of these blew. Maybe check them anyway.

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    The other item circled is the fan speed regulator*. I really hope this is not faulty. If you can find one, they are not cheap. They can be fixed (if the damage is not too great).

There is another fuse behind the right hand seat (PSF13), but again, if this blew, the HVAC system would have more issues.

*also known as "hedgehog", "electric fan regulator", "solenoid valve regulator" and others.

P/N 64280200 I believe.

Purch23 likes this.
  3. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    #3 mike32, Apr 17, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2022
    Same part no as maserati @ £211 to order if available
    Looking at the diagram it shows the recirc motor with a plug on the supply cable, if you can find that in the footwell you should be able to split it and measure the volts supplied to the fan motor. See if it varies when you turn the speed switch.

Purch23 likes this.
  4. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #4 Qavion, Apr 17, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2022
    That's the catch.... They aren't available. Even second-hand ones are getting hard to find. Here's a used one for around U$700

https://www.redbaycars.com/webshop.html#!/ferrari-550/products/electric-fan-regulator-part-nr-65230100

You could buy a used (entire) evaporator for $1100 (including the regulator)

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/141103334725

Here's what you don't want your fan regulator internals to look like:

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/posts/148292134/

Purch23 likes this.
  5. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    I looked up the makers web site in italy, have you tried them ? Also think about asking ferrari customer services by e mail as they are very help full

6. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    My 360 Cold blows hard, Heat blows half hard, any ideas on what is causing this?

7. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Is the fan in AUTO or in a manual setting? In AUTO, it may be like that by design. Does the fan slow down with manually set speeds?

The WSM says:

"2- Fan speed control.
    Automatic: the air flow is controlled by the electronic system depending on the climate conditions and the selected temperature to be attained."

I suppose if you have high fan speed selected it won't have time to heat up as it passes through the heat exchanger, so the airflow is deliberately slowed down.

Looking at the wiring diagrams, I can't see anything in the system which might draw crazy amounts of current with the heater in operation. The TGK (proportional) hot water valve may be modulating (open/closed) in heat mode, but its internal motor is powered by the HVAC ECU. I think you'd see other issues if ECU power was compromised.