FChat advertising taking over | FerrariChat

FChat advertising taking over

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by FerRrari, Apr 22, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FerRrari

FerRrari Formula 3

Jan 11, 2009
    WA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    Texas Forever likes this.
  2. JJ

JJ F1 World Champ

Jan 6, 2010
    PA
    Full Name:
    Subscribe Rossa and use Brave. I don't see ads here at all.

Doug. likes this.
  3. FerRrari

FerRrari Formula 3

Jan 11, 2009
    WA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    You’re missing the point. The website is now broken.

4. JJ

JJ F1 World Champ

Jan 6, 2010
    PA
    Full Name:
    Well, it's working for me exactly the same as always. So as far as I can tell this is someone else's problem, in this case yours. I've offered a solution that solves your problem permanently and immediately, under the assumption that you actually want one.

Clever username, BTW. Well done. :)

5. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    If I log out and look at Fchat, I don't see anything like what you're seeing. Site seems normal, just with inline ads.

Maybe go to Safari and clear out your caches and cookies?

paulchua likes this.
  6. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    I had the same problem yesterday afternoon on FChat. I was accosted by phishing scams. They went away on their own so I don’t think it was a local device problem.

FChat admins haven’t reported anything?

Prox and Texas Forever like this.
  7. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    Some ad providers have very little scruples. I don't know what Fchat uses but if it isn't AdSense, then Fchat may have one of the bottom feeder ad providers that do such underhanded things.

I suggest bumping up to at least Silver. It's worth it to support the site directly rather than through unscrupulous ads.

8. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    No. My experience yesterday was definitely hijacking. The FChat pages weren’t displaying and phishing “You have won a prize, click here to claim” pages were popping up. Clicking the “back” arrow would just display a different phishing ad. It was quite interesting actually. Had never seen that before. Today it is all gone.

Apex Ace likes this.
  9. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
  10. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Russian hackers. :eek:

11. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    It’s happening again this morning. There are two types of people in the world. Those who’ve been hacked by the Chinese, Russians, French, etc, and those who’ve been hacked and don’t realize it yet.

12. JJ

JJ F1 World Champ

Jan 6, 2010
    PA
    Full Name:
    There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary numbers and those who don't.

dm_n_stuff, energy88, tomc and 4 others like this.
  13. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    I have to use that one!

14. EFerrari34

EFerrari34 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 19, 2021
    Dallas, Tx
    Full Name:
    Timothy
    Just started happening to me too. Through safari; not the app. Only on FChat.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

15. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    OK, so the hint is that this happens on Apple/Safari. I just tried to go to this Fchat thread from my iPad/Safari browser as an unsubscribed user and I am indeed seeing something weird as is being described.

My browsing started with seeing this thread very briefly and then a popup appeared that said: "Congratulations Apple User! Every Saturday we randomly select a few lucky users and today it's you! Click OK to answer our questions and complete the survey to get your $1000 PayPal Gift Card or $750 Cash APP card. Spend your $1000 in stores or online!' Then it got replaced by a change of site from Fchat to a page at 2021trknew1.top with a survey on how often I use Youtube.

I then backed my way back to this Fchat thread and a few seconds after I got back to it, a pop-up appeared that that said "Dear Google Customer: Congratulations! You are one of 100 users we have selected as part of our reward program. You can win the Samsung Galaxy S10, iPhone 12 or 3 years of free membership to Netflix." The underlying page the pop-up wanted to send me to was at pro2022luckday.xyz.

Note that this was on an iPad that I only use to browse the internet on trips and the last trip I made with it was pre-pandemic. So it is unlikely to have been compromised or have cookies/cache content. I verified by clearing cookies/cache and I was still seeing the same popup/re-direct. I confirmed it happens on other Fchat threads, but it did not happen when I went to a few other random sites.

anunakki and JAM1 like this.
  16. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    not saying it isn't a problem with our network ads, buy 90% of the time it is malware on the users device. I believe you are the only user reporting it, so if a problem with the site we will be getting reports from others soon. thanks.

EastMemphis likes this.
  17. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    Rob, see my post just before yours. I confirmed it happens on a likely clean iPad/Safari browser combo.

anunakki likes this.
  18. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I will get Kirill to take a look. Thanks.

FYI I use Apple and Safari, also I see ads like Unsubscribed users. I haven't seen the problem yet.

anunakki likes this.
  19. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    I also got a big "this website is phishing" warning message last night when I hit FChat on a Windows 10 PC via Microsoft Edge browser. I didn't look at it too closely or take a screen shot. FWIW, I am currently writing from a different Windows 10/Edge PC and have not had a problem here.

I think it is something on the FChat side; not a local browser problem.

20. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Let me know if they are gone now? Kirill turned off the ad providers for USA users, so if the bad ads were coming from there they should be gone now. Thanks.

21. FerRrari

FerRrari Formula 3

Jan 11, 2009
    WA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    It just happened again this morning

22. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    OK, I'll report that. Thanks.

FerRrari likes this.
  23. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    When did Kirill turn off the inline ads? My iPad stopped showing any more hijacks shortly after your post #19.

Be sure to clear your browser caches, cookies, and history. Also check that there are no unwanted browser extensions or add-ons.

FerRrari likes this.
  24. FerRrari

FerRrari Formula 3

Jan 11, 2009
    WA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    No extension. My device is pretty well locked down. I’ll clear my cache et al.

25. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    last night.