Advice on Monterey Car Week | FerrariChat

Advice on Monterey Car Week

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by unogib, Apr 26, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. unogib

unogib Formula Junior

Jun 26, 2006
    USA
    Looking for advice for those that have done the event. My TM 812GTS should arrive by end of June. I am planning on driving the 1800 miles to Monterey in it to get acquainted. I did the same thing when the Pista Spider was delivered through the mountains of Colorado and absolutely loved it (it was crazy that the engine braking in 7th was so great that I actually had to give it gas going DOWN the mountain to maintain speed; con was a flat from a pot hole!). Thinking of staying at Ranch Post Inn but open to other ideas. I don't need to spend every day at the events, but would love to go on the 21st. More of a trip to enjoy life and the new car!

For those that have gone, what is a must see and what are things that are a leave it/over-hyped?

Appreciate in advance the information.

ScottS, Texas Forever and paulchua like this.
  2. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    We do the Concourso Italiano each year and enjoy it, lots of great Italian metal and down to earth people it is my favorite. Check out the auction listings and go see one or two — if for not helping else than just to look at priceless cars on the block. People like the show at the the Quail Lodge.

The main Concourse d’elegance itself is not only pricey but a bit of a cattle-call to even get there and then to get around so we started skipping that one.

Congrats on the new whip

Circle K and Texas Forever like this.
  3. Circle K

Circle K Karting

Dec 21, 2017
    Full Name:
    KC
    Go to the Bentley house for some cocktails and snacks

4. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    1800 miles in an 812 !!! Yes !! If you change your mind, I can always drive it there for you !! lol We all want to hear some of that screaming V12 , so please take some go pro video.

Thank you

5. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Perfect road trip. Post Ranch is to far down hwy 1. The traffic coming into Carmel area will drive you crazy. Plenty of stuff going on, starting on Tuesday. Shoot me a PM and I will be glad to discuss it with you

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

6. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    not sure anything is starting on tues.

7. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Quail
    Casa Ferrari

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

09Scuderia likes this.
  8. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Casa Ferrari:)@plastique999, im your Huckleberry:p:D
    having a vintage car doesnt carry much weight:(

plastique999 likes this.
  9. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    Depends what you're interest is. Still activities going on from early arrivals, and.... Monday thru Wednesday is Automobilia Monterey in Seaside; Tuesday is the Carmel Concours - in Carmel on Ocean Ave.

10. ewright

ewright Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    Do it. Post Ranch is a gem.

11. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Does Automobilia Expo start on Monday now? I thought is was all Tuesday plus Wednesday morning? Am I wrong? Has there been a change?
    And re the Carmel Concours I think it is still very unclear if that happens at all, and if it does, it might not be on Tuesday anymore but later in the week.

Marcel Massini

12. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Marcel this year it is Monday thru Wednesday.

13. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    OK, is there a website for Automobilia Expo and I assume it is still at the Embassy Suites?

Marcel Massini

14. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    Yes, still at Embassy Suites, and here is the link to their website: https://www.automobiliamonterey.com/

Marcel Massini likes this.
  15. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    I live close enough that I've attended pretty much every year for decades now.

It also depends what your interests are. Personally, I love the mechanical/technological/historical elements of cars so a big one for me is attending the antique car races at Laguna Seca race track on Saturday. I've been alternating years with Concorso Italiano now that CI is moved to Saturday. At the track, its not so much about watching the car go around, although that is great, but it is about strolling the paddock watching the crews wrench on the cars and sticking my nose under the hoods of famous old cars. There are now fewer 250 GTOs or Testa Rossas running than there were just a few years ago. Sad. After a day there I am coated with a thick patina of dust and I love it.

On the other extreme, Quail currently is at its zenith, but it's about ogling the cars that normally sit in garages and museums. My wife is not a "car girl" but she loved Quail. Lots of people watching and gorging yourself on fancy food. If you want to arrive in style you can book the helicopter shuttle.

I have only attended the Pebble Beach Concours once. It just wasn't my thing. The cars are fantastic, but there is a pretension that I just didn't like. Winning at Pebble is a big deal. If you go, bring champagne in your wicker picnic basket and wear your best seersucker suit.

Texas Forever and ewright like this.
  16. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin

Congrats on the car.

GET YOUR HOTEL NOW OR ITS ALREADY TOO LATE!

If you have a hard time getting a room and end up at hotels you are not familiar with... Make sure to ask if they have air conditioning.

Quail is awesome but very expensive.

Concourse de Italiano is really good .. but honestly it's alot of the same. I know people will want to murder me for that. But if you have been to any other Italian car events... It's the same but bigger.

Gotta do pebble.

Go to the auctions. Especially BDO the auction previews. It's great.

Drive to the famous restaurant in big sur in the cliff. I can't remember the name of it.

I'm a race car guy... And if you have never heard vintage race cars go to Laguna secca it's the few times in life you'll get to hear a db4 zagato and a 250 gto driving in anger next to each other.

The modern super car show is fun but it's like a modern car cars and coffee on crack. It's good fun. Id just stay on the outskirts with the car. And walk in to the crowd.

17. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    This. I agree 100%.

18. unogib

unogib Formula Junior

Jun 26, 2006
    USA
    Thanks all! Finalizing details this week. Probably going to add a couple night stay in Amangiri to "recharge".

19. rwk360

rwk360 Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2005
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    R W Kenton
    Regarding The Quail, we have been to it many times, and have been privileged to show three of our cars there over the years. However we basically burned out on it and haven't attended since about 2016. It seemed to have lost its uniqueness after a point, and the cost became difficult to justify; I mean, how many oysters can you eat and how much wine can you drink for $650. (the last ticket price I remember; now doubt more now)? Pebble is a must-do for anyone that has never been, but like the Rose Parade, once per lifetime is enough. Concours on the Avenue has always been a great event, and I always go, sometimes showing a car; hopefully it will continue after Doug Friedman's untimely passing. Have not been to the Italiano since about 2011, so have no current comments on that.

20. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Concorso Italiano is like a big Cars & Coffee. It is as much, perhaps more, about catching up with old friends as it is ogling cars. It is great seeing people whom I otherwise communicate with via the internet. Having said that, there are always cars that catch my interest. Usually though, it is some weird Fiat or Lancia (last year it was Panteras) than an unknown hypercar or even old Ferraris. My 308 gets lost in a sea of 308s. It is the only place where my car does not seem special. It's a rare car!

21. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    One event I have driven outside twice but not gone in is

ANNUAL FERRARI OWNERS CLUB GATHERING

3652 THE BARNYARD
    CARMEL, CA 93923

AUG 20, 2022 AT 4:00 PM TO 6:30 PM

The Barnyard in Carmel invites you to the 24th Annual Ferrari Owners Club Gathering during Monterey Car Week. This year’s event will feature a display of vintage and new Ferrari Automobiles,...
    -----------------------------------------
    It seemed like a cars 'n coffee from the outside,a couple dozen cars parked on cement, . No historic cars, Maybe inside it was worth the contribution?

22. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    I wouldn't drive your Ferrari to Pebble beach on Sunday. Too much chance of a traffic jam. I would find the shopping center closest to Pebble and park there and take an Uber or Lyft to th Lodge. When leaving there's buses here and there, just get in any to get out of Pebble Beach and take Uber or Lyft to where your car is. Do a recon Sat

23. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    I am surprised they are allowing Ubers to go to and from the lodge.

My experience, although now from 10 years ago, was that all traffic (except for Pebble Beach residents) was directed to the Pacific Grove gate and sent to the various parking lots in Pebble Beach. There all guests were required to park their cars and take the shuttle buses to the golf course/lodge.

24. Circle K

Circle K Karting

Dec 21, 2017
    Full Name:
    KC
    I remembered when it was free to Ferrari car owners. Taste some food and wine. End up eating at one of the restaurants and buying a few bottles of wine, now they charge $75, a little disappointed

25. rwk360

rwk360 Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2005
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    R W Kenton
    In today's weekly edition of the Carmel Pine Cone, there's notice that this year's Concours on the Avenue has been cancelled. Very sad but not altogether unexpected.