BBORR 2022 | FerrariChat

BBORR 2022

Discussion in 'Texas' started by FarmerDave, May 4, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    #1 FarmerDave, May 4, 2022
    Last edited: May 4, 2022
    Scuderia Ignorante reports a successful rookie entry into 2022 Big Bend Open Road Race. I highly recommend! Campaigned the ex-WJHMH Cooper S in the T1 100mph class...

It's a time-speed-distance type race, 59 miles each way Fort Stockton to Sanderson, then Sanderson to Fort Stockton. Only the Unlimited Class doesn't have a target average speed (really a target time) to complete the course. Beginners must start in Touring, it provided plenty of thrills and miles of smiles. Highway 285 is shut down for the day on Saturday.

How did we do? We finished nearly dead last in the class by crossing the finish line 30 seconds earlier than target time... but :) set the radar trap speed high score at 121 mph both directions (not only for the 100mph class, also 105 and most of 110mph class).

Hospitality, Organizers, and Food were all fantastic. The locals treat the racers like celebrities. There were a few thousand people lining the parade route.

The landscape is the real-life inspiration for Hollywood's (fictional) "No Country for Old Men" out there. My good friend Wayland's father was the Sherriff in the 70s, the real life Tommy Lee Jones.

West Texas is a huge place, but also a small place. My Co-Driver also lives in San Angelo, we were 3 hours west of home, but the helicopter providing spotting was a client of his avionics shop. The racers in front of us turned out to be my neighbors. @Jimpo - The racer behind me was from Gun Barrel City.

Rookie School held in the lone courtroom of the Terrell County Courthouse. Qualifying is Thursday, a check-ride on a closed-down Highway 90, with a course official riding shotgun, to make sure you understand the flags, can maintain minimum speeds, and generally operate your car safely.

Race day was everything I hoped it would be. The car performed flawlessly, my co-driver and I had a blast, and no racers had any incidents out on the course. (unfortunately, a Gulf liveried Ford GT lost a head gasket during qualifying.)

If you've been thinking about doing this - do it!

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

kens, SAFE4NOW, cycloneGTS and 3 others like this.
  2. PMiranda

PMiranda Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Omfg how have I never been to this!? When is the next one? Shut up and take my money!

VAF84 and FarmerDave like this.
  3. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Awesome. I love that part of West Texas!
    T

VAF84 and FarmerDave like this.
  4. FarmerDave

Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    SAFE4NOW likes this.
  5. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Makes me laugh that are racers in GBC! :) There’s all kinds down there. Did you make plans to meet them at DF? ;)

6. PMiranda

PMiranda Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Looks like you have to keep it under 124 unless you want to put in a roll bar. Wacky that they want you to submit your insurance info. What insurance company is going to cover you in a timed race event!?

7. FarmerDave

Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Yes, for an open topped car.
    They won't, but you have to drive on roads open to the public in order to get to and from the starting grid and finishing line.

8. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Special insurance, actually......and some of these "wide open" events have had fatality.....not this one to my knowledge.

I was thinking of the TR driver whose wife was killed, IIRC Arizona.

And of course destroying the Enzo out in Utah.
    Put in the roll bar, amigo.

9. PMiranda

PMiranda Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Yeah, don't race anything you can't ball up and walk away from :)
    I think a cage in something a little slower and less shiny is still pretty damn fun.