812 Replacement Rumors | Page 49 | FerrariChat

812 Replacement Rumors

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by Thecadster, Jun 29, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    I was just talking about construction philosophy, not design...

2. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    Fair enough. In that case, let's get a V12 revving to 12.5k rpm!

F2003-GA likes this.
  3. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    I don't know if I would buy Pateks, if I had to charge them...! :D

italiafan, Thecadster and soulsea like this.
  4. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Actually this is just an opinion, not a fact.

5. Maximus1973

Maximus1973 Formula 3

Oct 29, 2016
    They are building your dream car and publicly testing it. It’s called the 296 GT3!

italiafan likes this.
  6. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    There’s probably a law of diminishing returns but in essence, if 3,000 hp could be made to drive well, I guess why not?

It’s a good reply though. I agree that speeding is becoming more and more anti social although perversely, I get more reaction to driving at the limit in a loud Ferrari (our 512 M with Tubi for example) than doing a much higher speed in an EV. So having a noisy but less powerful car, the sort every petrolhead everyone seems to love, doesn’t really help.
    I’m sure you know that can’t be right. Firstly, he doesn’t build his own engines and secondly his production is so small that the restrictions that apply to a manufacturer like Ferrari bear little resemblance to those applying to GMA.

Of course, everyone is enthralled by a low volume, ‘medium’ power, low weight, no expense spared sports car. Ferrari’s equivalent could be the Icona series but it’s not exactly the same - they use Ferrari’s own engines for one difference and they are about €1m less for another. So they are at least doing something in a similar vein to GMA. For a larger manufacturer like Ferrari that’s worth applauding isn’t it? For higher volume, more regular production, Ferrari are going in the best direction for them. High power, with great control and a stylish (objective point but compared to a Tesla?) appearance. As I mentioned in my earlier post (to which there were some excellent counter-arguments from Italiafan and others) Porsche’s GT department are doing what many would like Ferrari to do but the problem is that Porsche is so good at it and especially so when you consider the price they can do it for. Could Ferrari beat the GT3 or GT3 RS? That’s a tough call and most likely too big a risk for Ferrari to take, all the more so when you realise that the price point is much less than for other the segments they have already taken on.

I would still maintain that Ferrari are right for sticking to what its best at - high power, high price, exotic-looking cars with excellent dynamics and chassis engineering and response. It would be arrogant of them to think they could walk into Porsche territory and simply take away the GT business from them. A brand new design 500 hp, 1,350 kg sports car from Ferrari would be less track-robust and cost much more than a GT3, have less performance than a 296 and could only work if they limited it and charged a very high price for it (say, £400k, $600k). Is that what we really celebrate about Ferrari - low power, high price and you can’t buy one?

Or you might argue for a 296 non-hybrid? Isn’t that a 488 GTB with two less cylinders and a higher price? How is that a step forward? I can understand the desire for a simple, low weight, high performance Ferrari but how realistic and sensible is it in the real world? I can at least see why they have not gone that route.

Caeruleus11 and italiafan like this.
  7. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
  8. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    that's because it is a tall car...probably less than 60 inches tall (153cm)

F2003-GA likes this.
  9. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    As does this one:
    [​IMG]

leopoldo, F2003-GA and 9nb like this.
  10. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006

It is in fact a strategic choice.
    Ferrari could make clean C02 with the PS la Roma and the completely electric SF 90, and complete with CO2 with an NA 296 and an NA V 12 version SP 3.
    They make other choices, sometimes for irrational reasons that we will not mention here. It is above all a question of people and strategy.
    If you want to know, the development of the new Dino was stopped after the Marchionne era, but the design was ready and the development advanced.
    Ferrari no longer manufactures sports cars, but heavy statutory GTs.
    Nothing prevented them from declining a standard NA V12 version, at a price of 812 for the SP3. the current modular platform allows this without problems.
    But, the plans produced are made by people who only think about power, and who have a certainty in their margin of error, that of capitalizing on the badge (speech that we often hear).
    If it weren't for this legendary badge on the cars, the level of production would, in my opinion, be much lower.

italiafan likes this.
  11. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    Rims of 23

F2003-GA likes this.
  12. Chicko

Chicko Formula 3

13. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Wait till you see it in person Most vehicles look much better in person IMO

14. [gTr]

[gTr] Formula 3

Mar 11, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    Most Mazoni Ferrari's definitely do!

F2003-GA likes this.
  15. 1881

1881 Karting

Dec 21, 2016
    it's not a SUV it's just a raised Lusso as many already said, lacking the presence vs Urus, Cullinan etc....which in itself is ok, but wonder whether it can justify the price point ....at the end the Lusso wasn't exactly flying of the shelves at a lower price point

16. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
  17. [gTr]

[gTr] Formula 3

Mar 11, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    According to @day355 this is a proper large automobile and way closer to a SUV rather than a raised Lusso. This is meant to compete head on with the Urus/Benteyga/DBX.

LuxRes likes this.
  18. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    If a Bentley is perhaps the archetypal GT, the only cars that get close in the Ferrari range are the Roma, Portofino and maybe the 812 GTS (though when you own one, it doesn’t really feel limited in handling terms like a normal GT would). The SF90 is too uncomfortable, quick and hard riding in AF form to be considered a GT (just because you can drive long distances in one doesn’t make it a GT). The 812 Competizione is never a GT, neither are the SP 1, 2 and 3. The 296 could be considered to be but really isn’t, its packaging is too uncompromising and like the F8 and 488 before it, it majors on driving feel over comfort and power delivery is certainly not ‘lazy’ like a good GT. There is also an AF variant of the 296 which goes even further away. So I find it difficult to agree with your conclusion that Ferrari no longer manufactures sports cars, just sounds like a cliche to me.

REALZEUS likes this.
  19. Maximus1973

Maximus1973 Formula 3

Oct 29, 2016
    MY wife drives a Bentayga; dear Lord, I hope the PS doesn’t drive like it. It has amazing comfort, but let’s not call it sporty….!

Caeruleus11 and F2003-GA like this.
  20. [gTr]

[gTr] Formula 3

Mar 11, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    PS will most definitely not drive like a Benteyga. I meant from a size and presence perspective!

Maximus1973 and F2003-GA like this.
  21. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    I think people throw around the SUV term rather loosely because it is, in fact, a rather loose term. Sport Utility Vehicle used to mean: Sport as in off-road capable (not necessarily hard core), Utility as in it can carry stuff and is functional, Vehicle as in …er… vehicle.

We had a Suburban when we had kids so we could drive around the ranch AND take the kids to and from town AND have enough room for crap when we went shopping, vacations etc. it was an SUV but most assuredly not a Sporty drive!!!

Now it is just my wife and I with two little dogs. We have a Wrangler which I consider an SUV. My wife mostly drives a Macan which I do not really consider an SUV because I don’t think I want to take it down ranch roads. Tires too low profile, too expensive. That one is a very “sporty” drive, however…. And it sits taller so it is an SUV in today’s vernacular.

I don’t know where exactly the break over is between hatchback, 4 door hatchback and station wagon is, but I suspect from the manufacturers’ positions it is largely a marketing decision. The PS will probably not be a lumbering off road capable SUV. Nor will it be a precise canyon carving F8 or Pista. But it will drive very well, be capable of carrying four passengers well and have room for a modest grocery run. So technically, it is a ??? with a glorious V12! I’m on the list!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

22. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    That is precisely why they created their own word: FUV.
    At first I thought it was a ludicrous term, but now I understand their marketing wizardry.

23. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    It is a silly term, but I guess you are right. What do you call it? FUV - Ferrari Useful V12! :)

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

italiafan likes this.
  24. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    This talk of multiple thousand or even 10 thousand hp EV Ferraris is missing one important fact. EVs will be speed and acceleration limited in public. Its for your own good don't you know. Someone posted about potential legislation already going around and not just blinking warning lights. Otherwise, OEMs would for sure produce ever increasing hp numbers. Its far too easy with giant batteries and copper wire motors.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  25. MaxVerstappen33

Apr 24, 2022
    Full Name:
    Bertrand Gachot
    Forced to buy an electric vehicle

find out your mother is in the hospital

wait 4 hours to charge car just so it can go 150 miles

wait 8-9 hours just for it to go 300 miles

EV finally finishes charging

has to update, it will take 40 mins depending on connection

update failed, restarting update and car wont even start

finally done, unplug EV and get ready to drive

voice comes on "there is a special covid alert today, you can only drive to your local store and back"

if you drive longer or over so many miles then your EV will shut off and a tow truck will be called at your own expense

press the agree button or the EV wont start

start to pull out of driveway

EV stops before you even hit the street

EV voice asks if you would like to turn on auto pilot to the store

you push yes

voice asks you sit sit and watch these new ads until the autopilot is finished loading and updating the route

finally are able to drive a bit but autopilot wants you to still hold the wheel

get to the store and get a phone call, mother is dying from the vax... i mean climate change

try to drive to hospital but car notices you are not following the assigned route home

EV shuts down

tow truck called

you are on the EV's touch screen phone watching your mother die

your mother is about to tell you her dying last words when an ad interrupts the call

it's a 'get a booster' ad by pfizer

Albert-LP, nmcclure, Soleith and 13 others like this.