1990 Testarossa tires | FerrariChat

1990 Testarossa tires

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by RASCO, Mar 22, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RASCO

RASCO Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    Hi, what are you using for replacement tires on your TR's. I have been using BFG g-Force for the last replacement. BFG doesn't have any in production and no idea when they will. The tire size is front 225-50ZR 16 and the rears are 255-50ZR 16. Any help on a source is appreciated.

2. kartboy1234

kartboy1234 Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
    Fronts you can get pretty easily, they won't be the BFG tires, I'm in the same boat with my 87. I may try doing a mismatched set if I can find rears.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Thats too bad. Its kind of the go to tire at this point. You can go to Coker and get the Michelin Pilots for a whole bunch more money. I had them prior to the BFGs and did not like them as much.

Where are you and where have you tried getting the BFGs?

4. kartboy1234

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
    I have used tire rack and America's tire. I was told by tire rack that the BFG is discontinued and they may come out with a replacement for it. But no luck, ive been trying to get a full set since last year.

Rifledriver likes this.
  5. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I just looked up Coker and they are listing the BFG's. $126 F $176 R.

Id call them ASAP and see if there is stock.

I also looked on Tirerack and they are not even listed. I wonder if they have achieved obsolete status.

6. kartboy1234

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
    I called Coker a while ago and they said that they aren't available. They drop ship them from BFG so I'm assuming they don't have any.

Plus their shipping is $300 for the order. But I guess it's the price you pay to get tires if you can.

7. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Toyo makes the size. I hate their tires but a pair for the rear until BFGs makes another run at least allows use of the car.

8. ItalianOne

ItalianOne Formula Junior

May 21, 2008
    Mich
    Full Name:
    Kevin R
    Spoke to BFG directly, they are supposed to do another run in the next month or so. They stated they are backordered and the only info they would give.
    Toyo makes a rear tire for the 255 50 16 ? Where did you find?

9. kartboy1234

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
    Looks to only be a race tire from toyo.

10. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    They make several. One is an extreme performance summer tire. Others are sold as drag tires or DOT race tires. The Proxes R1R is even offered with road hazard protection. I saw another of a lower performance rating but dont see it now.

11. Elberoth

Elberoth Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 12, 2022
    Warsaw, Poland
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Just get the Michelin Pilots.

12. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Was not aware until just recently but Michelin owns BF Goodrich. A client works for Michelin and I asked about Sport Comps for TR's. Goodrich discontinued Sport comp 2's but are replacing them with Sport Comp 3's supposedly in all the old sizes. Was not able to get a schedule but if you need 16 inch tires be patient.

Testarossa Sean and Prova85 like this.
  13. kartboy1234

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
    Thanks for the update. I was considering buying 245/50r16 for the back to hold me over. But I'll wait and see what comes out. Hopefully in the next few months

14. technik1

technik1 Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2003
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Gus Technik
    c4b4the04 likes this.
  15. kartboy1234

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
    Great to hear. Due in september, so ill hold off ordering for now to see if BF comes out with something

technik1 likes this.
  16. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    Good news for 5 lug Testarossa owners, it does appear the Fact-Fiction is shifting toward Fact. I am now cautiously optimistic. Expensive yes, but at least now we have tires for the car.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. EDoug

EDoug Karting

Apr 19, 2005
    Southern Florida
    Try Coker Tire. They say they are the "exclusive" distributor for North America:
    Michelin Brand Collector Vehicle Tires
    Michelin is known for its high quality tires, and we're proud to be the exclusive North American distributor for Michelin's classic car tire offerings. Our Michelin product offerings include fitments from the 1920's all the way into the 2000's, with an intense focus on classic sports cars. Build quality, fitment options and period correct styling makes the Michelin product line a favorite among sports car enthusiasts around the world.

18. MMM

MMM Rookie

Jul 7, 2013
    Merritt Island Fl
  19. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Right now Tirerack is showing Michelin Pilots in stock for TR 16 Inch. $1700 for the set.

20. EDoug

EDoug Karting

Apr 19, 2005
    Southern Florida
    Coker Tire price today, April 5th, is $1,670. I am not a fan of the tread pattern, but I ordered directly from Coker late last year and had them in a couple of days.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I had them on ours as the previous tire and was not crazy about them but at least they are available.

Few months ago no one had anything.

ferralc likes this.
  22. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    #22 ferralc, Apr 5, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2024
    I have a brand new set of Michelins pilot sports, I got them at discount tire, like $1600 for all 4. The handling is not very good and the car rolls a lot (I actually created a thread discussing handling). It was better than the 14 years old BFG I had before but I recently purchased a set of 18 wheels that came with Hankook Ventus V12 tires and the car handles WAAAY better and for half the price the Pilot Sports sell for. If I knew I was going to have that better handling with the 18 wheels I wouldn’t had purchased the Michelins and I would had kept the old BFG and the 16 wheels just for concours. It is night and day the newer technology of tires vs the Michelin pilot sports. But yes they are available now.
    Also they look “stretched” in the rear, a 255 tire is just too narrow for the 10 inches wheel, it is the proper size according to Ferrari but it is not optimal at all, but there’s no other width available in 16 wheels.
    You can see the front with a proper square and the rear stretched out a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Attached Files:

23. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Something a lot of people miss about tire sizes. There is no rule a 255 made by one company will be the same actual size as a 255 made by another. The original Goodyear and the BFG 255 are both wider than the Michelin. The Michelin is very visibly narrower on the car. The 10 inch wheel fit the Goodyear and BFG quite well.

ferralc likes this.
  24. lagunacc

lagunacc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 24, 2013

25. EDoug

EDoug Karting

Apr 19, 2005
    Southern Florida
    We run the Pilot Sport 18" and 19" tires on the Mercedes cars and have gotten used to the modern tread patterns, so maybe just a preference here. When I purchased the Michelins for the Testarossa, the Pirelli tires were not available and we only had one choice. Brian C was spot on. Anything available beats old and DOT out of date tires. My Goodyear rear tread was flat across to the ground all the way across. The contact patch on the Michelin rear tires is smaller, but the diff might like it better ;). Maybe not running 38 psi pressure per the OM would help compensate for this inadequacy? EDoug.