Ferrari Mondial 1984 gearbox shaft | FerrariChat

Ferrari Mondial 1984 gearbox shaft

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Rhaddad, May 7, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rhaddad

Rhaddad Rookie

Jun 25, 2020
    Dubai
    Full Name:
    Raad Haddad
    Hi all
    as i was driving the car on 3rd gear .. car shacked and kept rolling but no power on the wheels.. i stopped and thought it was a clutch failure..

Unfortunately after removing the gears cover i noticed that the bearing holding the big main shaft was broken and the shaft was not engaging ..
    after removal of the lower sprocket and removal of the clutch cover .. i noticed the shaft moved alot like the video..
    any ideas the cause or if its normal.. before removing the sum of the gearbox to have a look

Attached Files:

2. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
  3. Rhaddad

Rhaddad Rookie

Jun 25, 2020
    Dubai
    Full Name:
    Raad Haddad
    The bearing that was broken already is not on this chart.. its part number 108655
    Main bearing

4. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    The main shaft (item 1 in post #2) is broken/sheared (probably just past where the bearing 11 mounts). The 108665 bearing having failed is a strong reason for causing the main shaft to fatigue fracture -- with the 108655 bearing not supporting the end of the main shaft, there is a huge alternating-stress bending moment put on the main shaft that is not there when the 108655 bearing is OK.

5. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
  6. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    This is going to be expensive.

7. Rhaddad

Rhaddad Rookie

Jun 25, 2020
    Dubai
    Full Name:
    Raad Haddad
    waiting for the mechanic to open the gearbox sum to see what s going on.. will update you

8. theunissenguido

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    He is from Dubai....so no problemo. :D

9. Rhaddad

Rhaddad Rookie

Jun 25, 2020
    Dubai
    Full Name:
    Raad Haddad
    trust me its a problem

Qavion likes this.
  10. theunissenguido

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    I feel the pain....10 years ago I needed an intermediate gear and at that time it was 780 £. Now a mainshaft is 3420 £ + VAT...shipping, work. I hope it will not be needed.

Qavion and Rhaddad like this.
  11. Rhaddad

Rhaddad Rookie

Jun 25, 2020
    Dubai
    Full Name:
    Raad Haddad
    The main shaft is broken :mad:

12. Rhaddad

Rhaddad Rookie

Jun 25, 2020
    Dubai
    Full Name:
    Raad Haddad
    yup 100%

13. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Really couldn't have been anything else based on the large angle that you could so easily move the shaft end thru and how easily it rotated in your fingertips. How did the 108655 bearing fail? Did the roller cage break and all the rollers just moved together to one side, or was it a more catastrophic destruction?

On 328, they decided things were a little iffy (even if the 108655 bearing was OK) and added another bearing on the transfer gear case side of the lower transfer gear. However, even doing that is a bit of a design challenge having so many bearings so close together on a single shaft -- requires holding really tight tolerances on all the parts so that any stresses, due to all parts being non-perfect to some degree, are acceptable.

14. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Rebuilding a gearbox properly is about half the cost of rebuilding an engine. Which is to say it's $15K but I don't know of many gearboxes needing major work like this. So maybe Rifledriver or Tim can add their voices.

15. Rhaddad

Rhaddad Rookie

Jun 25, 2020
    Dubai
    Full Name:
    Raad Haddad
    its more catastrophic destruction

16. Rhaddad

Rhaddad Rookie

Jun 25, 2020
    Dubai
    Full Name:
    Raad Haddad
    i never had a problem in the gearbox.. this just happened out of a sudden... only bearing failure that managed the main shaft to move and bam got destroyed

17. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    I will say this. Find a tech that knows a lot about Ferrari gearboxes. I have worked on many old gearboxes that have had previous work and the things I find that are just done wrong is crazy. I know it is because they just didn't know it needed to be addressed differently. I have found things installed backwards, shafts that need to be held in place that were not, gear spacing completely wrong, mixed parts from different years that don't fit correctly. I have found that just the set up can be wrong on the forks and fingers and it makes shifting not very nice. It may cost a little more, but find a knowledgeable transmission guy.

Qavion likes this.
  18. Rhaddad

Rhaddad Rookie

Jun 25, 2020
    Dubai
    Full Name:
    Raad Haddad
    a new problem appeared now after removing the shaft the shafts are different one is 46mm and the new one is 47.2mm
    does anyone know if the mondial came with different ratios... as evrything else is the same in the shaft

Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. theunissenguido

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
  20. theunissenguido

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Dont you know a good welder...there are welders that can fix a broken shaft.

:rolleyes:

21. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    There are a lot of V8 cars that have been parted out and shafts are low demand. Destroying gears in one way or the other is pretty common but not shafts. There are a lot of changes for different markets and different years but find the number for that shaft and start contacting the used parts guys. Ted Rutland when he was still alive parted out a lot of V8 cars. Hes gone but his company is still around and owned by Motion Products Inc. Pat runs the parts department, get him or Brian and see if they have one. Since shafts are low demand don't be afraid to make them a counter offer and tell them I told you to. They both know me well.

They are pretty rugged transmissions and I have only ever had 2 apart that needed a lot so this might not hurt too bad. If any syncros get replaced lap them to the gear. It makes a huge difference especially if its a new syncro on a used gear.

moysiuan likes this.
  22. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
  23. Rhaddad

Rhaddad Rookie

Jun 25, 2020
    Dubai
    Full Name: