California - Roof won't close | Page 2 | FerrariChat

California - Roof won't close

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by 695, Apr 16, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 695

695 Formula Junior

Mar 19, 2021
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Chris
    The roof has really been acting up this weekend, so I was glad to see the new battery arriving this morning. Put a charger on the new battery straight away so that it would be fully charged and replaced the battery in the afternoon. Did a few up and down cycles with the roof and no issues. Here is hoping the problem is fixed.

2. bb2thdr

bb2thdr Karting

Dec 23, 2021
    Full Name:
    Scott Bialik
    Just make sure you follow the protocol in the manual for resetting the emu's after battery replacement.

3. 695

695 Formula Junior

Mar 19, 2021
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Yes, did the unlock/lock doors with remote, open trunk with remote, 1 minute with the key in position II and not starting the car. Started the car with no current draw, so all lights, AC etc. off and then let it idle for 10 min. Windows up and down, checked auto window drop down when opening door. Took it for a spin and everything was smooth. Top up and down cycles a few times.

rgb125 likes this.
  4. 695

695 Formula Junior

Mar 19, 2021
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Chris
    New battery been in for a week and the same fault is still there. The voltage readings are the same with the new battery as with the old.

Taking the car of the tender and taking a drive and come home and it won't close. Put it on the tender again and when the ctek is at stage four the car can be startet again and the roof will close without any issues.

It's having the annual service tomorrow, so I'll them look at it while it's there

5. bb2thdr

bb2thdr Karting

Dec 23, 2021
    Full Name:
    Scott Bialik
    I suspect you have some sort of battery drain, could be a faulty ECU somewhere. Best to Have Ferrari Service figure it out through their diagnostic protocols.

6. spaghetti_jet

spaghetti_jet Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2005
    Europa
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Excellent. if you do discover what the issue is via the garage then it would be great if you post it back here to close the loop & perhaps help people in the future.

7. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Still betting it's a Hall sensor in the top harness. There's no rhyme nor reason for when it works or doesn't work. Often waiting a few minutes then restarting the car would make it work correctly again when I had the issue on my 2013. As long as the top is going up and down correctly some of the time it's likely not a mechanical issue with the top itself.

8. 695

695 Formula Junior

Mar 19, 2021
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Chris
    So they just called me back from the service center, they did a battery test even though knew I just put in a new battery, just to be sure, given the symptoms I told them. Well, the battery I bought may just have been on the shelves for too long, as the State-of-Health is only 67%. So the working theory is still a new battery. So I will have those whom I bought the 'new' battery from sent me a genuinely new one with a SoH close to 100%. What a pain in the ...

spaghetti_jet likes this.
  9. bb2thdr

bb2thdr Karting

Dec 23, 2021
    Full Name:
    Scott Bialik
    Id see if I can get my money back and buy a Braille Battery at this point, or Lithium if you want to venture into that type.

695 likes this.
  10. 695

695 Formula Junior

Mar 19, 2021
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I don't think we get the Braille battery in Europe and I'm not fully comfortable with a lithium battery in a car that was not made for that. For this time I'm sticking with a traditional 12V battery

bb2thdr likes this.
  11. spaghetti_jet

spaghetti_jet Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2005
    Europa
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Thanks a lot for coming back with an update. This kind of info really enriches the forum for the future. Thank you and good luck with the roof.

695 likes this.
  12. 695

695 Formula Junior

Mar 19, 2021
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Okay, so got a replacement battery and put it in. Checked it before install and it said SoH of 98%, checked the 'old new one' before taking it out and it said SoH of 68%. Now here comes the weird thing. Checked the 'old new one' after taking it out and it has a SoH of 98% and the new new one now in the car has a SoH of 73%. So I decided to check the three year old Ferrari battery I took out two weeks ago and it has a SoH of 90% out of the car.

Only tried the top once and when closing there was a little hick-up at the usual place, but it closed.

So I still think it is related to the electrics, but there seem to be some kind of internal resistance somewhere that is also resulting in the battery displaying a low SoH.

What could this be?

13. bb2thdr

bb2thdr Karting

Dec 23, 2021
    Full Name:
    Scott Bialik
    Looks like you may have some sort of drain on the battery. Did you do anything aftermarket? stereo? cameras? radar? If not you may have a drain on an ecu that went bad.

695 likes this.
  14. 695

695 Formula Junior

Mar 19, 2021
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Chris
    No aftermarket add-ons I know about expect from a tracker. ECU sounds plausible, but that may be very difficult to find, there were no codes. I have a faulty temperature sensor or something like that on the A/C, which will be fixed on warranty, but it probably not that :)

15. bb2thdr

bb2thdr Karting

Dec 23, 2021
    Full Name:
    Scott Bialik
    May be time for you to go to your Ferrari Dealer. Sometimes snooping the CanBus can reveal what's going on, but best to have a Ferrari Tech do that.

695 and tomc like this.
  16. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Bad connection likely. Clean ground straps is a good first step.

SV

695 likes this.
  17. 695

695 Formula Junior

Mar 19, 2021
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Chris
    @bb2thdr - it's been at the dealer and they said change the battery you just changed :-( But I'm in dialogue with them.

@SVCaliforia - I was just thinking the same thing this morning. I've had bad ground on other cars before, but that usually throws 95 errors, but I'll have this in mind going forward.

18. 695

695 Formula Junior

Mar 19, 2021
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Going to the dealer next week, but just thinking about the different odd things the car is doing and if there may be a correlation between them.

The car's alarm is coded to what they call 'Benelux', which means that the alarm is armed after approx. 5 min of shutting the car off, even though you don't lock the car or just sit in the car. Kind of annoying, as it means that the alarm will start when filling up the car at the petrol station if you do not press open on the keyfob, even if the car is unlocked.

But lately this 'Benelux' feature isn't active, so no arming of the car alarm and no activation of the alarm when you open the door more than 5 minutes after shutting the car off.

I've also noticed that the alarm was replaced at Ferrari by the previous owner back in 2019. So I have a suspicion that the alarm module is somehow responsible for the drain that is messing things up

19. bb2thdr

bb2thdr Karting

Dec 23, 2021
    Full Name:
    Scott Bialik
    Snooping the Canbus, will tell you what is active when the car is off. You just need someone who knows what the codes are. That's why I recommend a trained Ferrari Tech with access to the CanBus Codes.

20. 695

695 Formula Junior

Mar 19, 2021
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Just got the car back from the dealer. They have changed a hall sensor on the left side that showed irregularities in voltage and they also discovered that there were missing three out of four rubber stops. Here's hoping that everything is fine now.

21. SLViper1

SLViper1 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2014
    Nashville/Destin
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Happy you got it working! Good Call Vic!

vjd3 likes this.