Residue from hard top when top down (cleaning) | FerrariChat

Residue from hard top when top down (cleaning)

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by SVCarEnthusiast, May 23, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SVCarEnthusiast

Jan 14, 2020
    Los Altos
    Weather is getting nice so I am riding with the top down more and little ring is bothering me. I didn't notice this when I first picked up the car last year but it has been there since I bought it. There is a thin film of plastic and a little ring of yellowish residue on top of that when the top is down. I tried scrubbing it off with my normal car wash soap and sponge but it had little effect. Anyone else see this and have tips to prevent it?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    The purpose of that vinyl is to protect the paint when the top is up. If the yellowness won't clean off easily,you could have a place that does wraps replace it. Cavallino in Palo Alto replaced mine as part of some custom paint work.

SVCarEnthusiast and tomc like this.
  3. windsock

windsock Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 29, 2006
    3M plastic polish start with #2 and work too #1

SVCarEnthusiast likes this.
  4. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Can also try goo gone if you can feel the residue with your finger. If the ppf has yellowed it may not help.

SV

5. Bill Phillips

Bill Phillips Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2019
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I had that piece of film replaced when I had the car wrapped.

Cigarzman likes this.
  6. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Same here , mine was also discolored. I had the car color corrected which took care of any imperfections first ,then full wrap.

7. mcw

mcw Karting

Aug 10, 2008
    My 2016 shows the same pattern. Here's another option for you to consider: view it as part of the styling lines of the car and leave it alone. After initial disappointment of seeing these lines develop, I've been happy with leaving it alone once I tried that idea in my mind. But I can see how it could bug someone and other methods of elimination might be pursued.

SLViper1, spaghetti_jet and alex like this.
  8. abtornado

abtornado Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 18, 2021
    St Pete, FL
    My 2020 has the same. The dealer said they all do it. I replaced the factory PPF in that spot with a seamless piece on that decking. Looks better and is higher quality so not as obvious but even the xpel ultimate is starting to look faintly like that a few months later.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat