Help a Porsche guy choose a Ferrari ;) | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Help a Porsche guy choose a Ferrari ;)

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by RossoCorsa22, May 11, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jeff3545

Jeff3545 Karting

Sep 4, 2018
    SF Bay Area and South Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeff Nolan
    Remember what I wrote earlier about 0-60 times and getting a Tesla ;)

There are 3 systems the Ferrari has that you should read up on. F1-Trac, E-Diff, and SSC2. Porsche has PDCC and PASM, both systems are active body roll management. Really good but Ferrari uses MagneRide suspension which I think negates the need for a system like PASM. Ferrari’s approach to traction is more focused on getting the car to the point of side slip and pulling it back using torque vectoring. The car actually anticipates the angle the car should be in during a turn and measures lateral acceleration against where it thinks it needs to be. Porsche focuses on keeping the car flat and controlling wheel spin.

If you drive the 458 like a Porsche you will be disappointed. If you get past the “this car is trying to kill me” and drive the 458 like you are intending to drift it the traction control system will convince you it is unlike anything on earth, except a McLaren. I still prefer taking my 911 to the track but I know that my Ferrari is much faster even though the specs would say otherwise. The E-Diff is where Ferrari wins in racing.

DQSF likes this.
  2. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Welcome! Make sure you try to get some behind-the-wheel time. The F430 and 458/88 are very different in feel. One should speak ever so louder to your soul.

:)

Looking forward to hearing which you eventually choose!

RossoCorsa22 likes this.
  3. MWHC4S

MWHC4S Karting

Jun 30, 2004
    Brainerd, MN
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Mike at yellow compass will take care of you

RossoCorsa22 likes this.
  4. Sergio Tavares

Sergio Tavares Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2018
    Full Name:
    Sergio Tavares
    The New York high pressure style advert was major turnoff
    Porsche is a no drama car. Very reliable, smooth, capable ... just no drama zzzz
    You really need Ferrari

5. RossoCorsa22

RossoCorsa22 Karting

May 11, 2022
    Oakland, CA
    Full Name:
    Kareem
    At first I was really turned off by his posts, but then I read the pages of rave reviews. Now *that* is how you build a successful business. I'll most likely be calling him when it's time to take the plunge. First I have to actually drive a 458 Spider... I've only driven a 488 and it didn't quite have the magic I was looking for.

6. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    He’s very NY. I grew up in NY. I love the guy. What many love about him is his knowledge and access. I call him and say “if you find a xxxx, call me.” And he says, I happen to have access to one now. Would you consider…….

For me, my energy is in the dealer relationship but I would not hesitate to buy or sell from him at all.

(No relationship, business or otherwise but multiple interactions which have been rewarding and pleasant).

What are you waiting for?

7. RossoCorsa22

RossoCorsa22 Karting

May 11, 2022
    Oakland, CA
    Full Name:
    Kareem
    Hah, I'm a New Yawker myself as well (grew up there, went to college in Joisey), but 25 years in San Francisco has made me a Californian by temperament ;)

I'm waiting for 3 things, really:

1) Gotta actually drive a 458 first. I was all gung-ho to snag a low-mileage 488, then I drove a GTB. It felt too much like my Porsche. Not the emotion or drama I expected. Plus, wifey wants a Spider. So I'm thinking, based on what I've read here, that a 458 Spider might just deliver the emotion I'm hoping for. I'd happily buy one sight unseen if I'd already driven the model, but I haven't. The only 458 Spider for sale that doesn't require a flight to reach, isn't available for a test drive.

2) Have to figure out garage space. House has a 2-car garage; both my Porsches live inside. (Daily driver sits outside.) I refuse to part with either Porsche, and I can't fit any of my cars plus my airplane into my airplane hangar at the same time.

3) The market is just bananas. Looking at the historical classifieds, it's clear that Ferrari prices have followed the same trend as Porsche prices (which I am much more fluent with), or used aircraft prices. Not that I have a crystal ball, but I have to guess that the next 3-6 months will witness a significant softening of this market.

8. Jeff3545

Jeff3545 Karting

Sep 4, 2018
    SF Bay Area and South Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeff Nolan
    fly down to LA and rent one on Turo. You can drive it all day and really get a feel for the car.

I understand that you are committed to a test drive, Be prepared to fly somewhere. There are not a lot of these cars available, regardless of market conditions. When I am shopping my search is always nationwide.

RossoCorsa22 likes this.
  9. DQSF

DQSF Karting

Dec 19, 2020
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Dennis Q
    1 & 2 are relatively easy to overcome. Agree with the fly and Turo comment. Rent a garage is pretty straight forward. Though I’m prettt sure you’ll relocate one of the Porsches once you get the 458.

3 is a mystery. If we hit a big recession and everyone heads from the door you stand to capitalize. Short of that there’s not a lot of options in the Ferrari market with the new model backlogs.

My guess is the next window is when the 296s start coming in and folks trade in their 458/488 for them. But even that feels 6-12mo off if we are lucky. QIf you’re patient I don’t think you lose by waiting. They can’t climb much higher right now. Most likely path is down and worst case they hold steady.

RossoCorsa22 likes this.
  10. skierlawyer

skierlawyer Formula Junior

Sep 12, 2010
    Golden, CO
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Get a 458

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    “Relocate “. I know what you really mean.

Drive it buy it love it.

Show of hands anyone who bought a 458 and said I just don’t like it?

The price is irrelevant if you never sell.

12. DiamondDog

DiamondDog Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2021
    Orange County, CA
    #87 DiamondDog, May 29, 2022
    Last edited: May 29, 2022
    Had a 991.2 turbo in chalk. Bought a 488 spider

Putting on my flame suit.

I really miss that car. It was perfect and no issues and easy although it wasn’t a daily driver it could be one. I believe that car is faster and more planted than my 488. You can get a 7 year bumper to bumper warranty underwritten by the same company that wrote Audis CPO warranty for about 4k and I was about to do that. Talk about stress free!

When I drive the 488 I pay attention. I won’t answer my phone even on handsfree and barely talk to my passenger. I think about every turn and all the cars around me. I am far from relaxed and confident in my 488 Spider.

When we go places. I scope out the parking situation ahead of time and there are places I won’t take the F Car.

Things can go wrong and I stress over that. I had to replace a rubber stopper in the frunk the size of a nickel. 89 bucks! For basically a rubber washer. My car has 6K miles and is garaged and parts of the dash are bubbling. 4k. I heard that sometimes the main seal on the engine leaks. 20k job

On the flip side, the 488 is an experience like no other. It makes people happy to see it. When we go out, it is a spectacle and so far positive. Even in one hour of stand still traffic is a fun experience. People will interact with you the whole time

Porsche can not come close to sound of the exhaust.

The styling is beautiful. I enjoy looking at this car in my garage almost as much as driving it. It’s a work of art

When I drive the F car I get goosebumps still. My heart races. Not so much with the Porsche

Finally the people you meet in Ferrari world is so much better than Porsche. At least for us. I have People in the Ferrari world to be more sophisticated, more accomplished, and I feel don’t have this attitude of trying to prove something. They are more friendly and diverse in my opinion. Porsche seemed dominated with old, engineers or young guys with Caymans talking about how they were going to get a GT3 soon.

You are paying a lot now for F cars, but you will also get more for your trade. I drove my Porsche for 2.5 years and made 20k on it on trade at the dealer!!!!

I don’t make enough money to not stress about the F car. Someday I hope to be the guy that doesn’t stress when the dealer tells me it’s 100k to change the batteries on my La Ferrari or to cough up the 4 figure yearly registration tax in California

If I was more baller, it would be no question about choosing a F Car

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

Viperjoe and RossoCorsa22 like this.
  13. Ffre92

Ffre92 Formula Junior

May 26, 2014
    NY
    Hey, that sounds like me :(

it’s all good, I’ve got a couple of fcars to ease the pain

14. DiamondDog

DiamondDog Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2021
    Orange County, CA
    I would contend that someone with a couple F cars and a Cayman saying they want a GT3 is different than someone that just has a Cayman making the same statement.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

Ffre92 likes this.
  15. Justicepool

Justicepool Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2019
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John L.
    Interesting thread and a lot of great insight. I think if you have never had a Ferrari, then I definitely understand the draw and would recommend a 458 Spider or a Manual 430 Spider.

I went from Porsche (911) to Porsche/Ferrari (911 and 360 Spider gated manual) to Ferrari (360 and 2014 California 30) and now I'm back full time in the Porsche world (981 Boxster S for a daily, 718 Spyder for the weekends, and a Cayenne for when the other two are not practical). I also spent extensive time driving a friends F430 and 458 Spider (not as much time in the 488, but I clearly enjoyed the 458 more).

If one has the means, then I do think its a great experience for a car enthusiast to own a Ferrari.

At the moment, I would not trade my 2021 Porsche Spyder for any other car. My favorite type of driving is canyon carving and the Spyder is king (plus, I strongly prefer a manual transmission, and the 458 only comes with flappy paddles). Just my preference and nothing against any Ferrari, they are amazing cars!

As someone else previously said.....I love every Ferrari I've owned (and driven), and I love every Porsche that I've owned and driven. I've driven most of them, and again to me there is no better car than the 718 Porsche Spyder with a manual transmission. This is just based on my driving style and preferences. I do not track cars, just tons of road trips and thousands of miles in the mountains and canyons. If I get back into the Ferrari world it will be with a manual 430 or maybe when i'm older and a manual is no longer enjoyable a 458. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

RossoCorsa22 and Ffre92 like this.
  16. Ffre92

Ffre92 Formula Junior

May 26, 2014
    NY

I 100% agree!! I would probably enjoy a gt4/spyder more, but have to stick with my gts since I can fit winter 18inch wheels over the brakes. My gated f430 more than makes up for it on the weekends! I know it’s likely outperformed by the gt4, but the sounds, thrill, and gated shifter can’t be beat

Justicepool likes this.
  17. Justicepool

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2019
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John L.

My friend is currently having his F430 converted. I can't wait to try it with the gated manual. It's not a Spider, but the shifter will keep me happy.

18. RossoCorsa22

RossoCorsa22 Karting

May 11, 2022
    Oakland, CA
    Full Name:
    Kareem
    Great writeup! Thank you. It pretty much mirrors my notions about what the difference would feel like. I appreciate your having taken the time to share that.

$20K for a main engine seal though... :eek:

19. RossoCorsa22

RossoCorsa22 Karting

May 11, 2022
    Oakland, CA
    Full Name:
    Kareem
    Great insight! The 718 Spyder is indeed quite a stunning car, and all the reviews I've read, echo your praise of the car. My base 718 Boxster is my favorite car I've ever owned; my 718 Cayman S is more powerful, faster, and handles better, but the Boxster just has a special place in my heart. But like so many of us, I've wanted a mid-engine red Ferrari since I was old enough to know what that even was :)

20. Justicepool

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2019
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John L.
    100% understand and highly recommend following through with it! My vote is for a F430 and have it converted to a gated manual or if paddles are your preference get a 458 Spider!

Part of what makes the 718 Porsche Spyder so special is the NA 4.0 motor Porsche put in it, far different than the 718 turbo motors (although I think those are fine for the base model cars!).

Best of luck on your Ferrari search!

John

RossoCorsa22 likes this.
  21. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Every car enthusiast needs to scratch that itch. I’d either go classic (328) or modern (458).

But keep your Porsche! I’m back in a 911 now and love it (964). Maybe another 328 if I recover from injuries from a few years back and can work a clutch…

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

RossoCorsa22 likes this.
  22. RossoCorsa22

RossoCorsa22 Karting

May 11, 2022
    Oakland, CA
    Full Name:
    Kareem
    Wifey and I test drove a 488 Spider yesterday and decided that 458 or 488, it's really got to be a Spider. She was pleasantly surprised by how un-intimidating the car was, which to her is a good thing. Also got to try the suspension lifter and realized that it's an absolute must for where we live and drive.

Having only driven a 488 GTB before (never the Spider), I was amazed how little wind buffeting and noise there was at (ahem) 115 mph. (She was driving, not me.) We hopped in our 718 Boxster right after the 488 drive, and there was more wind inside the car at 80 mph than in the 488 at 115. A small point, but one that pleasantly surprised me.

I need to go drive a 458. But the more I think about how we really drive our cars, and why our twin Porsches are so much fun, I realize that the low end torque delivered by those turbochargers helps make every drive feel faster, simply because we don't really spend most of our time canyon carving. We'll do one HPDE event on track each year, but that's about it. We live in an urban area where it's extremely difficult to drive around with the engine at the top of its power band -- I've tried it in our manual Boxster and it just requires too much attention. Most of our time is spent punching it down freeway onramps and going stoplight to stoplight, and that's where the low -end, nearly instant torque response of Porsche's little 4-cylindera really shines. Even my favorite driving roads, like Hwy 35 down to Alice's here in the SF Bay Area, don't have long sightlines, meaning that a lot of the fun comes from relatively low speed acceleration and cornering. I've had both Porsches just past 100 momentarily on that road and that speed is honestly just irresponsible on that road.

The cars may sound a bit like a VW Bus (although if you wind it out, my 718CS with the sport exhaust has a nice snarl to it.) ... But it's easy to get that wonderful sensation of torque at nearly any rpm above 2,500. And that helps the cars' performance (my Cayman S with Sport Chrono and PDK is only 0.3 off the 0-60 pace of a 458) feel always accessible.

I've also read every thread I can find and watched every YT review of the 458 vs 488. I prefer the 488's styling, I love its linear torque delivery and feeling of utter solidity in corners, and the total absence of cowl shake on bumpy roads, all of which I understand are improvements over the 458. That said, I've only gotten to start a 458, not drive it... That engine noise is quite the song!

All of this leads me to conclude that a 488 Spider may be the best choice for us. But it's also a $70-$100K price premium over a 458 with similar miles. Is that worth it? Rationally, no, but nothing is rational about these obsessions of ours.

I really just need to go drive a 458

Ffre92 and Justicepool like this.
  23. rob5819

rob5819 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Barry
    The 488 Spider is a great car, but definitely drive a 458 Spider to be sure. Make sure it has the LED steering wheel (LEDS) with five lights to indicate RPM: 5500, 6250, 7000, 7750, and 8920. Put it in Race, put it in Manual and then do not shift until you see at least the 4th LED in the first few gears. You don't need to drive it fast, just drive it loud. Then you'll know if you want the 488 or the 458.

24. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    I didn't like it after a test drive, so wasn't going to buy it. Mistake maybe to drive it after a Huracan, which was so entertaining and fun

25. Nafiz Ali Khan

Nafiz Ali Khan Karting

Jul 19, 2006
    Phoenix
    Having owned both F430 and 458, the 458 is much easier to deal with in traffic. If you get the manual F430 then traffic is no problem. DCT really makes the 458 a good daily driver. F430 is also great and feels more raw with the punch shifts.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

RossoCorsa22 likes this.