epoxy floor costs? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

epoxy floor costs?

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by rob lay, Jul 25, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrari Envy

Ferrari Envy Formula Junior

Apr 27, 2009
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Cameron DeMille
    Rob, I'm a little late to this one, but look into Polyaspartic coatings. Similar to epoxy, but supposed to be much more durable and you have more options.

Polyaspartic Floor Coatings - One Day Polymer Topping - The Concrete Network

In my personal opinion, epoxy floors don't do these cars justice. if you're considering tile, I would go with that, or concrete. Concrete will be a little less than the tile and look WAY better.

https://www.google.com/search?q=concrete+to+look+like+tile&safe=off&rlz=1C1TGIA_enUS582US582&espv=2&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=w3zyU46PCs_qoATFn4D4DA&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ&biw=1680&bih=906#q=polished%20concrete%20in%20the%20garage&safe=off&tbm=isch&imgdii=_

concrete that looks like tile

https://www.google.com/search?q=concrete+that+looks+like+tile&safe=off&rlz=1C1TGIA_enUS582US582&espv=2&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=-nzyU46hLZHtoAS8qoE4&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAg&biw=1680&bih=906

2. Zxgarage

Zxgarage Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2011
    MD/ DC area
    Full Name:
    Zack
    I use U-Coat, and was a nightmare to cure... Weather was probably wet. Painted black and added flakes and that was a mistake... Looks nice, but If you drop a nut, it is gone.
    After years it looks on but most areas lost the gloss.
    Another area I have plastic tiles. Great for parking and protect from moisture.

3. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    #78 abstamaria, Aug 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Epoxy can look very neat and show off a Ferrari well (that's a Porsche though). But it is difficult to apply. This floor was applied by a professional, not without hiccups, fortunately rectified. That's Xena on the floor.

Andres
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. p1turbo

p1turbo Formula Junior

May 21, 2009
    san francisco
    #79 p1turbo, Sep 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. Kiwis

Kiwis Rookie

May 18, 2015
    Hi, I live in Mississauga and I’m planning to get an epoxy floor coating done in my garage as it looks very untidy because of the junks and uneven broken concrete floors. A friend of mine has advised me to <a href="http://www.epoxytoronto.com/products-services/epoxy-overlayments/">install epoxy resin floor coating </a>with greyish colour that can make my garage look awesome. But I'm not completely aware with its costing. I’m seeking a help from the one who has experience in floor renovation. Any replies will be highly appreciated

6. Shaun Oriold1

Shaun Oriold1 Karting

Mar 21, 2008
    Burlington, Ontario. Canada
    Full Name:
    shaun
    The link you reference is for a trowel down floor. Thats a whole other product than the average residential garage floor epoxy. It's typically used to really crappy concrete ( spalling, cracks, heaving) or heavy industrial use, and mostly, areas where food preparation is happening where it need to be water tight and gov. certified as a clean work area.

Price wise, you'll pay significantly more than a thin-mil coating that most the this discussion references.

The best advise I can give as a professional, is to go check out some of their floors. speak to the homeowners, touch and feel the floors.

I dont get into huge industrial floors. I refer them to a friend who has the equipment for large projects - 5000Sq ft.+ Conversely he doesnt get into smaller floors as its not profitable.

IT sounds wrong to say it, but when a 1,000,000 square foot factory is getting finished the building owner isnt too concerned about the floor being 100% perfect, he just wants a nice coating which protects the floor and is cheap!.

The guy getting his 200, 400, 600 SQ Ft. Garage done wants perfection. Which is where large companies dont have the fineness to work in residential. Their machines and installers are not ideal for it.

The second word of advise, is if you're going to use your garage for anything but a showroom ( Working, or even parking daily use cars in it) go with a flake floor ideally a full broadcast of flake. This will conceal the most amount of dirt and always look good. A solid colour, will always show dirt.

Good luck.

Shaun

7. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    I have done my shops and home garage floors and by no means an expert... just a few tour veteran... buy your chips from chips unlimited.

Chips Web

The chips at sherwin williams were 24 dollars for 24oz
    I paid 3.52 per pound from these guys. Super professional outfit. Couldn't be happier. Very responsive since there whole chip mix is way over my head. I was more of the... Id like it to look cool and not regret my choice... whats popular and easy for you to provide on short notice. SURE THAT LOOKS GREAT! Heres my money

8. Shaun Oriold1

Shaun Oriold1 Karting

Mar 21, 2008
    Full Name:
    shaun

Thats expensive for flake! The big boys in the flake business are Torginol. I'd be surprised if Chips Unlimited actually made their own flake. I suspect they're just drop shipping it from Torginol, and marking it up a $1 or $2 a pound. - Great business model if all they have is a website.

In Phoenix, the average price to get a professionally applied floor is about $4 a sq foot. - Thats for grinding or shot blasting, chemicals, chips, and polyaspartic top coat. Its really competitive down there for some reason. For comparison, I charge $6 up here in Toronto for the basically the same stuff.

9. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    I doubt they make there own flake too. But it was a great source for me and they worked out great. I am sure anyone who is a contractor can get a much better rate. I was the retail guy but at 180 bucks and 50 lbs available first thing in the morning. I was in.

4 bucks a foot is a pretty decent deal considering I went with the tile clad epoxy from sherwin williams (2 coats) Rexathane clear (350 a gallon but Ive never paid more than 94 dollars for it for some reason lol) 2 coats and 50 lbs of chips after renting the diamon cutter and everything I spent about 700 bucks... and about 4 days doing it about 2 hours a day. it was only about 450 sq feet.

Probably just should have paid someone... but I enjoy doing it for some really strange reason and most places wont do the two coats of clear here for the 4 bucks a foot.

10. andy308

andy308 Formula 3

Jan 16, 2005
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Andy
    I used Granite Garage Floors in the Atlanta area and it costs about $1,100 per car parking spot for an epoxy floor. So a 2 car garage is about $2,200 and a 3 car about $3,300.

11. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    I'm going to do this myself in a few weeks. 1700 sq/ft in gloss white, no chips. Andres pics were my inspiration :)

12. Shaun Oriold1

Shaun Oriold1 Karting

Mar 21, 2008
    Full Name:
    shaun
    1700 sq/ft is a lot of floor. Make you you have a couple extra sets of hands to help. You'll probably need one person just mixing chemicals up, while a couple people roll, or ideally squeegee and roll.

Also make sure the floor is spotless before you coat. Vacuum, blow out with a leaf blower, vacuum again. IF you can, use xylene to wipe the floor too right before coating. White is awesome, but shows every imperfection, from being so glossy. Send me a note if I can give any advice.

13. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Thanks for the info! I was hoping to do it myself as I don't trust anyone to help. Sounds like that might not work out.

14. Shaun Oriold1

Shaun Oriold1 Karting

Mar 21, 2008
    Full Name:
    shaun
    If your floor has cut lines in it. You'll want to keep those. You could then treat each little pad as its own smaller floor. Then you're only working in 10'x10' sections -Totally doable by yourself.

As mentioned by technom3 its super rewarding to DIY something like this. Go for it!

15. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    Need to be sure epoxy fills cuts in concrete

16. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    I plan to fill the saw cuts actually. Then grind the entire floor.

17. Ferris Bueller

Ferris Bueller Formula 3

Mar 23, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Dominic
    Jim-
    We exchanged posts on garage journal.
    A lot of guys are using epoxy paint from Legacy.
    I had a huge problem with Legacy but didn't want to bad mouth them on the forum.
    Scotty is very helpful but in the end had to redo my garage floor.
    I went with sherwin-Williams. The paint is far better then legacy. I have seen the application in aviation hangers on a job we just completed. Just a heads up if you were thinking about Legacy.

18. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Hi Dominic. Your message is a bit late for me, I've already purchased everything from Legacy. Not good to hear of your troubles!

19. Shaun Oriold1

Shaun Oriold1 Karting

Mar 21, 2008
    Full Name:
    shaun
    Filling in the joints is totally fine. But just be aware that the cut lines are there for a reason. The cuts are to allow the slap to crack in a pre-determined area when curing. As well, when the ground freezes the concrete will move. When you fill those cracks you run the risk of it cracking at those points in the future. 1mm thick epoxy layer cant stop 20,000lbs from moving.

Its more obvious on a solid colour floor, than flake. If you're coating the floor yourself, then you might be willing to accept a few imperfections - Its a huge accomplishment already to do the floor yourself. You'll know where they are, but your friends/family will be totally stoked at the end result!

Legacy has a fine product, and Scotty does stand behind it, and he'll "hold" your hand along the way. Saying SW's product is better is not really a valid argument. A good rule of thumb is that a user friendly product ( long pot life, easy to work with) isnt as durable or "higher end" as a professional grade product. - Saying all that, though it really comes down to what you're looking for as the end result.

20. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Thanks for the info. (and sorry to hijack this thread!) The slab was poured in 99 (and it is cracked inside the saw cuts but nowhere else) but I understand that it will move and may crack the surface. I would have just filled it in with something flexible after coating the floor but there is edge chipping so it wouldn't look like sharp lines.

21. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Very reasonable IMO.

slm likes this.
  22. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    Actually I think the quote is very reasonable.

23. Xrayv8

Xrayv8 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 18, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Xray
    I paid $5/Sq ft in NJ including the grinding and that was 6 years ago. Your quote is very good considering the times.

24. 020147

020147 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2006
    Midwest
    I’ve DIY’d two epoxy floors. Last one was similar in size to your floor and cost me around $900.00 in materials. Being older now and not having the greatest back I’d more than gladly pay $1400.00 for someone else to do the install. Prep is so crucial with epoxy and extremely time consuming. I had about 20 hours of prep in to the last floor with only two very small oil stains that needed to be removed. Everything else was perfect with that slab.

25. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    #100 jm2, Nov 3, 2022
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2022
    Nope, that sounds reasonable to me. Had it done at 3 houses.