Maserati MC20 | Page 42 | FerrariChat

Maserati MC20

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by TheMayor, Jul 1, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. honda corse

honda corse Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2011
    Vancouver & Whistler
    Full Name:
    mark buchmann
    The fast guys running the Radical SR3’s are doing 2:01-2:02 in qualifying, would love to see what you can do with the MC20 with good tires and alignment. Here’s a pic of my bro Paul (2021 champ) in his, currently 4 points from first in the championship.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Call me Al likes this.
  2. honda corse

honda corse Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2011
    Vancouver & Whistler
    Full Name:
    mark buchmann
    The MC20 looks unbelievable in the flesh, especially in the pearl white matte paint finish.

3. Call me Al

Call me Al Karting

Jun 6, 2021
    Eastern Washington state
    Full Name:
    Tom Burgess
    Just found the MC20 specifications in the paper owners manual that came with the car and it’s much more accurate it also has a different reasonable gross vehicle weight.

That 3307 weight on the Maserati website is bs for sure as there’s no way this car could be that light even with zero fluids.

But the 3613 lbs unladen weight could be true with a car with no options. My car has the hydraulic lifter and the better stereo those two things alone could be 100 lbs or more even little optional things like seat heaters and parking sensors add weight.

And unladen weight does NOT include the driver. I don’t think there’s any specs like that except for those used in racing.

D16RR likes this.
  4. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Congrats

5. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    c and d weighted the car 3750

It’s a porker, gt3 is 3200
    Based on the video you posted of joining on track, when you really learn how to track fast the weight make a huge difference.

6. Call me Al

Call me Al Karting

Jun 6, 2021
    Eastern Washington state
    Full Name:
    Tom Burgess
    When you learn to recognize P cars you’ll notice that the first one I passed was a GT3 and the second one I passed was a GT3RS.
    You should also learn how Google works. Rather than blasting out some ridiculous statement from your emotions you could look up what the fastest laptimes are for that racetrack quite easily.
    You would then know that the 1:29.0 laptime done with my bone stock MC20 is blistering fast.
    I can also help you with your apex’s too apparently.
    Show us all your fast tracking video so we know how to drive. Oh wait let me guess you lost it in a volcano
    Oh and I also own an Elise….that’s a Lotus….they carry a lot of lightness.

7. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

Bunch of rich gold rush rally guys passing each other means zero.
    What I observed from your video was over braking and then using the power as a crutch to get some speed back.

it’s impressive you’re tracking the car and kudos to you. But based on what I see your driving is …
    Id be impressed if you told me some real lap times in a Spec Miata.

I have several cars, which are the ones you want to know about and comparative track times.

in any event it’s all fun, no need to get so shirty, we’re all at guys enjoying any that’s the main thing.

Midnight Oil likes this.
  8. Call me Al

Call me Al Karting

Jun 6, 2021
    Eastern Washington state
    Full Name:
    Tom Burgess
    Some people only think the brakes are to be used only to slow down….. but not me:)
    Show me your Girodisc hats I have earned the coveted golden color. Trust me that’s not easy and they tell me no one else has done it!! Here is my hat off my DD Alfa Guilia QV sedan I take to track and pass most all 2door sportscars with.
    Real tracking videos with fast laptimes tell the story….everything else is just talk.
    And remember I’m going to Google foo it
    And here’s a my tracking video of mine in a momentum car, only 190 HP at Oregon Raceway Park (ORP).
    I suggest you take my advice and do a little Google research on that 1:56 laptime before you say anything more.

and here’s another of me driving that same Lotus at the same track I did the 1:29 laptime with my MC20. Here I do a 1:34 laptime with just that same 190 HP
    Lotus Elise 1:34 laptimes at SCR

If you still dare to compare just show me a tracking video that’s would be considered a fast laptime at a known track! It’s not rocket surgery

Boomhauer, willcrook and 3500 GT like this.
  9. rockminster

rockminster Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2003
    Lake Tahoe
    I’m not familiar with ORP? Is there a site that lists lap times in the same configuration in which the MC20 did the 1:29? I just have no context for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

of2worlds likes this.
  10. Call me Al

Call me Al Karting

Jun 6, 2021
    Eastern Washington state
    Full Name:
    Tom Burgess
    There’s no super accurate big database that has the fastest lap times for all types of cars for all of the tracks in NA or anywhere for that matter.
    there’s no big database of every track with the fastest times you have to do research every time.
    You can Google fastest times at ORP or just go to YouTube and do the same thing and then look through them. Sometimes you can find a time attack list that’s really good.
    Oregon Raceway Park ORP is a great track that is well know. It’s just pretty much in a rural area so it doesn’t get as much traffic as once closer to big cities.
    It’s actually the most technical track in North America with over 400 feet of elevation change each lap. And it can be ran in both directions.
    It tests drivers and their cars unlike anywhere else because of the elevation changes. Some people can’t even drive it they get vertigo.

and you’re confusing tracks my Maserati hasn’t even been to ORP yet and the only thing that’s is gone anywhere near a 1:29 there is a shifter go kart!! Loll
    I took my Radical there and did a 1:44 which is really fast. Actually anything less than two minutes is considered fast but the fastest drivers are at about 1:50 laptimes in production cars.

11. rockminster

rockminster Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2003
    Lake Tahoe
    Sorry, got confused on the track back and forth. On which track did you do the 1:29 in the MC20? And, any other fastest lap references for that track?

I’m not questioning that the car is fast on track. I have one on order and regularly track my 3RS so am intrigued about what the MC20 might do. With such little track data available on the MC20 I’d love to see some data points vs the established hierarchy of the street legal track cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Midnight Oil

Midnight Oil Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 29, 2006
    Strangely that picture of the Vette you just posted is the first where I actually find it good looking lol. Though, I have seen many in person and not my taste at all!

The MC20 though much better looking inside and out IMO, they are likely quite evenly matched in performance :(

Call me Al likes this.
  13. Call me Al

Call me Al Karting

Jun 6, 2021
    Eastern Washington state
    Full Name:
    Tom Burgess
    I’m glad I was able to provide you a good picture of a C8!
    There are a good deal for the value and I’m sure they handle pretty well but unfortunately all the ones I’ve seen at the track don’t have a good driver and I blow them all up with my modded Alfa Guilia QV sedan and even my lightly modded Alfa Stelvio QV SUV!
    But someday I will come across a good driver. Quite sure the MC 20 will take care of it easily but the new C8 Z06 could be faster!
    But I agree with you I can’t get over the looks.
    They look like a Camaro got rear ended by a McLaren….but the lines are all still wrong

14. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    boxerman, wbaeumer and Nembo1777 like this.
  15. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    boxerman likes this.
  16. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

Wow looking at those disks you really overuse the brakes.
    the video, im seeing great raw aggression and innate car control ability with a stabby and jaby style which works against you..
    Brakes are not to slow the car, there to settle the car for the corner.

in any event, a number of people more experienced than either of us have gently commented on your driving. the fact that you retort back and dont even listen says much.
    Ive come across lots of really capable and successful people who think that translates to everything they do, notably the track does not care if youre the master of the universe elsewhere..

From a few mins of your elsie video, in hearing the throttle being stabbed(not smooth application), and seeing all types of braking, abrupt control movements cannot be smooth and by definition are not fast because they upset the balance of the car so the limits and therefore cornering speeds are lower. We all do this to a greater of lesser degree, and in may cars the electronics blunt that and work around the driver.

If ity were me, i'd want to learn to get fast in a miata or better yet a single seater and then translate that to say an elise and when you get that down go for the Mc20. You'll be amazed how much quicker your laptimes will be and how much better your brakes tires etc will last.

I learned years ago, there a big difference between what one thinks is driving the car on the limit, and learning how to be really smooth and balance the forces so well that you're really using the limit far higher up the scale. Don't take it as an insult, but your driving looks like it has some way to got to get there, and all our driving can always improve. You do have the balls9which many lack), and given the overdriving I see you also have an the innate car control ability(which many lack) to be really good. What maybe is missing is some humility to really learn and take you to the next level. Its all good, you cant be on track unless you have some level of success and competitiveness in life, and that comes from amongst other things self belief.

Like some others here I really enjoy the driving but also the teaching on track, the people who go the furthest are those who want to take commentary and apply that to their innate ability. That's pretty much every driver on the planet, the key is having the humility to listen. perhaps you think that what we have to say here is from clowns who don't know what they're talking about, that's a value judgement you make.

Love that you track the Mc20, one of the few who has the means and Moxy to do so. Ill bet 99.9% of exotic drivers are too worried about devaluation and paint work to really use their cars, kudos to you. Sadly we live in a time and place where using those machines to anywhere near their ability is not for street, so well done.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  17. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

Agreed, but it is cool the guy tracks his MC20 and actualy uses it.

3500 GT and Nembo1777 like this.
  18. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Actually I prefer track talk to concours talk 1000 times over and love to see people giving them a good caning as opposed to trunk and cup holder comments:)!
    As long as it does not snuff out the rest...

wbaeumer, Call me Al and Midnight Oil like this.
  19. Call me Al

Call me Al Karting

Jun 6, 2021
    Eastern Washington state
    Full Name:
    Tom Burgess
    No problem I’m not sensitive and I just stick up for how I feel.
    Those brakes are off the car for a reason…the rings are worn out. Taking a picture of how WELL I use them makes me feel good. In fact I sent these pictures to Girodisc and they said not only do I use them well but no one even gets near the number of track days out of both brake pads and rotor rings.
    They design and make racing brakes so still I think I’ll continue listen to them and my laptimes instead of any spectators.

I wanted to show you that I know how to drive and then when I say how the MC20 handles at the racetrack that it actually mean something and it’s not just talk.
    But enough said this thread is off the rails a bit so I will retort no more to whatever is said no matter how wrong I think it is. Say what you will and thanks for acknowledging that I can f’ing drive in your own reverse barometer way
    You like cars I like cars so let’s talk about what we share now ok?!
    Moving on. I threw some wheels off my Alfa Giulia QV onto the Masi and surprisingly they fit all other Maserati‘s have different bolt pattern!! Perhaps this was originally the Alfa 6C as speculated. And if you look at the car you’ll even see some Alfa parts on it.

And me putting these wheels on and also gave me the opportunity to verify that 19 inch wheels will clear my brakes. So this is awesome I can use the exact same sized racing slick take off tires I buy for my Giulia on the MC20
    Front 275/675/19
    Rear 315/705/19
    Of course I won’t be able to use the same wheels because the ET is much different Alfa 10 vs Masi 63.5 but I can put the wheels on there to see what it looks like. I’d like to take the birdcage wheels off the Masi and put them on the Alfa that would look very interesting!!
    Here’s a picture of my custom wheels with the takeoff racing slicks from my Alfa on the Masi.
    I wouldn’t dare drive around like that they would crush the fenders on a bump. But it gives a nice look doesn’t it.
    Also the similar duries between the Alfa and MC20 give me more opportunities to get parts.
    In fact I ordered the centerline Alfa Giulia titanium lug stud conversion kit.
    Wow they package that so nice it looks like candy
    And I just ordered some BC Forged 19” wheels so I can use those same takeoff racing slicks.
    I went with the brushed bronze.
    I’m very interested to see what this additional unsprung weight savings from the smaller wheels and lug titanium lug studs will feel on the racetrack
    My impression is that the MC 20 is pretty much ready for the track with just some added negative camber some better tires.
    And if you use your brakes properly and and hard you should upgrade your brake fluid to the
    Castrol React SRF racing brake fluid as some of the sessions went on the brake pedal felt a little spongy. Probably should change the rubber brake lines to stainless ones too.
    But other than that it’s pretty much good to go!!
    Down the road I think I’m going to definitely get a nice titanium valve exhaust. Do not only give me some good sound when I want it but also stay quiet when I want it and also to save a lot of weight. I’m hoping the exhaustion particle filters removal will give me over 100 lbs of weight savings.
    Also driving really hard the coilovers don’t seem to be quite 100% they should be. 499% of all drivers it would be fine but pizza for the few that take it to the track and drive it hard I can feel them porpoise a bit.
    My Alfa QVs did that too and when I put on the KW DDCPNP coil overs it solved all problems. I can’t say enough good things about those coil overs I have them on both of my Alfa QVs and they are fantastic! Not only much better at the race track but even in natural mode on the street it gives a softer street drive! Really amazing coilovers I hope they make them for the MC20.
    Probably next time I take the MC 20 out will be mid June about Area 27 in Canada and I’m staying for about a week. I’m a member there and it’s a fantastic racetrack. Really excited to see what the MC20 will do there!!!!

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

3500 GT likes this.
  20. Midnight Oil

Midnight Oil Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 29, 2006
    Agreed, these are performance cars and what better place to experience their performance than the track. Beyond tired of hearing about what color interior or this or that option, instead of actually speaking about how the car performs when pushed. Though, many of these cars at this stage, are nothing more than glorified handbags for men and that is the type of conversation these men like to have or circle jerk each other at cars and coffee. To each their own I suppose.

Call me Al, boxerman and Nembo1777 like this.
  21. Call me Al

Call me Al Karting

Jun 6, 2021
    Eastern Washington state
    Full Name:
    Tom Burgess
    Sorry but I just couldn’t resist when I saw the word “cupholder”
    MC20 only has one and I will be taking this car on long rallies too.
    So I bought this cupholder doubler. It was a little plain looking so I had my PPF guy wrap it in CF tape LOL
    And yes I’m with you tracking and seeing what these fantastic cars are capable of is truly amazing in this golden age of horsepower.
    And besides just how many times can you talk about ceramic coating, the best tires and cup holders without barfing LOL

willcrook, 3500 GT and Nembo1777 like this.
  22. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Glorified handbags for men, brilliant expression...so true about a certain segment of GT car ownership across all exotic makes.

Call me Al, Midnight Oil and boxerman like this.
  23. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    i was taught that titanium is not really the appropriate material for lugs unless you're going to change them relatively often, its a brittle material..But yes its eye candy. For rotors I prefer AP , they seem to last longer and are more thermally stable if you get the good ones, but thats about 3k for the rotors if you can find them for your car.

Castrol SRF im not a fan of, always found the pedal too spongy, much prefer endless race fluid, but its not something to leave in there too long. Not an issue for me as we have a full setup at home to change all fluids and do some maintenance. I dont run my cars more than 4 days on track without changing all fluid(ecept coolant) including brakes and transmission.

For alignment I prefer a little toe out in front, but thats not great for street.

long rallies sounds like a good plan.

Enjoy your cars.

Call me Al likes this.
  24. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Well since that suggestion didn't work perhaps a separate thread? Otherwise I'll put him on ignore cut down on the volume.

25. 3500 GT

3500 GT Formula 3

Nov 2, 2008
    USA
    Full Name:
    Gentleman Racer
    Actually gentlemen, if you think about it a bit,…isn’t this what “Maserati” is all about?

A gentleman buys a very special car (which we all appreciate and apparently love to a degree), takes it to the track, and drives it like Maserati intended it!

What could be better?

“Cars and Coffee”, weekend bragging rights? I don’t think so….

Maserati mission accomplished….Alfieri Maserati would be proud.

Tom…can I buy your MC20 when your done with it? It would be an honor.

Ciao and best!