Another 355 CEL Problem | FerrariChat

Another 355 CEL Problem

Discussion in '348/355' started by USAF - 1, May 30, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. USAF - 1

USAF - 1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 27, 2021
    San Jose CA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Hi all:

New 355 owner (3 months) and here dealing with a nagging CEL and code issue. Initially, I had P1445 and P1448 consistently appear along with P0432 occasionally. Then it also added P0153 which was pending then became confirmed.

I looked back at the service history and could not determine when the O2 sensors were last replaced, so I just replaced them all with new ones. I also replaced the Cat ECUs with the Technistrada versions. One had a section with a large gap between the green and plastic housing, so it is unknown whether that it was still functioning properly.

Took it out for a 50-mile drive, no codes, no pending codes. Ran very smoothly, better than before.

Yesterday, I took it out again for about 50 miles, P0432 came back as a CEL, but now P1126, 1445 and 1451 are pending.

The current setup is Fabspeed headers and cats, with 2 in extensions on the downstream O2 sensors. Capristo exhaust. Fabspeed headers and cats are relatively new, 2 years old less than 3k on them.

When hot and sitting for a few hours, after restart the idle can be rather lumpy until it gets driven for a few minutes. Yesterday, the idle dipped very low for a few seconds (600-700) and I thought it was going to quit, but then it came up to normal.

My battery charger is showing the battery as weak, but it starts without issue, does fully charge and remains on a charger when not being used. I will be replacing that too, but wanted to provide that additional information as I understand these cars are sensitive to some electrical issues.

It does seem to consistently throw the 1445 and 0432 codes though. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    P1445 is a purge control issue. No amount of oxygen sensor replacments will fix that problem. You more then likely have a leaking purge valve or both.

P0432 is a cat efficiency fault. The sensor is doing its job..by telling you there is a problem. The high flow cats are more then likely the reason. Those silly extenders with the little cats built in will do absoulty nothing..throw them out. Best thing to do is to have the ecu programed to not look at the rear o2 sensor.

Hope this helps a bit..

cavlino and Mike Morrissey like this.
  3. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Isn't P1445 "Catalyst Temperature", Tom? Or do you have access to some real F355 5.2 codes? (We only have the 360 codes)

I was going to suggest making sure that the connectors on the Thermocouple ECUs weren't swapped over.

4. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I thought p1448 was cat temp? Could be wrong..but obd P1445 is pretty much across the board a purge control fault..

5. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    For 360, 1445 is cat temperature, 1448 is bypass valve, or so the list I have says.

6. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I gotta stop trying to remember things..I'll see if I can dig out my 355 code list..I'm crossing wires between "normal cars" and the pasta mobiles..

johnk... and Qavion like this.
  7. Carmellini

Carmellini Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2019
    Is there an actual 355 list? If there is, please post. Thanks

8. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    There is no CEL list for the 355. We only have a 360 list which works for the 355 too. P1448 is a bypass valve CEL. There are half a dozen causes.

1. Vacuum leak, broken hoses etc.
    2. Bad vacuum switch
    3. Bad thermocouple
    4. Bad green/black ECU
    5. Bad bypass valve

9. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    I believe Tom is a professional Ferrari technician. I live in hope of someone having a proper list.

The 360 list has let us down several times. There have been cases where the 360 list description of the codes generated by a 355 is incorrect. e.g. codes relating to O2 sensor heating. I recall the 360 engine wiring allows for more accurate/specific fault identification. The code may identify “Left xxx” on the 360, but “Left or Right xxx” on the 355.

10. USAF - 1

USAF - 1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 27, 2021
    San Jose CA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Thanks for the responses everyone! It would be great to have a list of codes like the 360 codes that are available. If I need to have the ECU reprogrammed for the high flow cats, who does that these days?

11. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Contrary to the very knowledgeable Tom the extenders have worked in my car for over 12 years with no CEL
    The exhaust is capristo twin valve with tubi headers and hyper flow cats.
    I just recently this winter changed to tubi blanketed hi flow cats so I will see if they still help once I get the car out

12. USAF - 1

USAF - 1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 27, 2021
    San Jose CA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    I wanted to close this one out after trying to solve this issue for a year as it seems many of these threads never have a satisfactory solution where the problem is solved. My mechanic believed the Fabspeed sport cats were bad, although I didn't really think that was the issue. Nonetheless, I said go ahead and replace them with new ones. After replacing them with new Fabspeed cats without extenders, codes P0153 and P1126 came on within 10 miles and P1452, P0159, P0154 and P1448 were all pending, so it had actually gotten worse. All of the O2 sensors were new within 300 miles. All Cat ECUs had been replaced. After being seriously frustrated with the parts cannon firing blanks and likely being a waste of money, I double-checked all of the connections to make sure the O2 sensors were connected to the correct connectors and they were. None appeared to have any corrosion and the wiring was intact. I also checked all the vacuum lines, the Capristo bypass valve and cleaned the air pump and its filter. Nothing had any effect.

As a last resort, I purchased a nice connector cleaning kit from amazon which included round connector cleaning rods that are perfect for cleaning the O2 sensor connectors. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009TCBVGC?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details. As noted above, none of the connectors appeared corroded or dirty. Nonetheless, I cleaned the connectors with the kit and deoxit, and voila no codes and no pending codes even after 100 miles. It seems that this was the issue the entire time. It is in fact the first time since I have owned this car that I have not had a code pending or the CEL light on.

I only cleaned the connectors on bank 2 which has always been the problem and did not clean them on the other side just to see if that would solve it. It does seem like the connectors had hidden corrosion or were not making a solid connection.

So check and clean those connectors!

13. Targatime

Targatime Formula 3

Feb 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    That's incredible. And thank you for updating the thread with the fix. Adding cleaning electrical connections to my list.

Carmellini likes this.
  14. JSBMD

JSBMD Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2007
    The OC
    Full Name:
    John
    This is exactly what Dave Helms' gold connector kit was all about. There was lots of irate discussion about compatibility of tin/gold interface with this kit, and eventually Dave left FChat so this discussion died out. But it seems that his kit did serve a purpose, and this thread reinforces that thought.

Uberpower, cavlino and IvanRico like this.
  15. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Yep, this is a known issue with the 355 - I think I'm having some of the same issues with mine after the major as I'm getting intermittent CEL's after it warms up. I made sure to hit every connector with contact cleaner and a dab of dielectric grease but it apparently didn't do enough...Will pull codes and then try that kit depending on what they are. I may also need new/rebuilt injectors, we'll see. We're entering a tough phase for these old cars when the electronics start to act up. Part of me says to go to just go aftermarket engine management and bag up the original stuff.

cavlino likes this.
  16. Targatime

Targatime Formula 3

Feb 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Just fyi on the dialectric grease, it is non-conductive. Its role is water/dirt resistance and will not help a poor connection. If the connector is loose, it can make the problem worse.

17. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Yep - that was more a preventative measure. I used a non-residue contact cleaner, let it dry, then put a dab of grease to prevent any moisture based corrosion going forward, but looks like I may need a more aggressive cleaning. I'm going to run the codes first as it could be something else, but I'm suspecting it's the connectors.

Targatime likes this.
  18. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Pete, if the codes are O2 sensors, look for exhaust leaks where the cats, or Y pipe connect to the headers , or cracked headers, particularly if CEL is on the 1-4 bank.

bobzdar likes this.
  19. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I'm getting it on 1-4 and I do have a minor leak where the header meets the cat. I'm guessing I need to use some kind of sealant and the donut gasket looks to be in good shape (and I have replaced it before).

20. cavlino

cavlino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 6, 2002
    Ottawa, Canada
    Full Name:
    Carm Scaffidi
    I am another Supporter of Dave Helms with respect to the Gold Connector kit, I was going to get them done as part of the next service when I had my F355 but in the end I got the Porsche GT3 Bug about 10 years ago and Traded in my F355 back then so I didn't end up doing it.

I haven't checked Dave Helms Website in a while but maybe he still offers the Gold Connector kit?

21. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Only as an item of service when the customer brings their car to him.

22. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    To bring closure to my part of this thread - it was my voltage regulator. Low voltage while running, finally figure it out when it got really low and the car started going a little crazy and eventually lost power a few miles from my house. $40 part here fixed it: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B1PZ752L/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Have not had a CEL since.

IvanRico and Qavion like this.