GREAT [car stereo] news for 458/488 (Scuderia Audio) | Page 2 | FerrariChat

GREAT [car stereo] news for 458/488 (Scuderia Audio)

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by SoftwareDrone, May 12, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Cog, call Absolute Electronix at 240-654-1283, speak to Michael. They will not only set you up with a good tune, they will also update the firmware in your amplifier to the latest version if need be.

iMrMark likes this.
  2. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Mike, thanks a ton.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. hardhattg

hardhattg Karting

Jan 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    timothy gould
    Comprehensive response thank you very much for that.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

4. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    After speaking with some of my more intelligent friends, I may have a path to having a 100% plug and play system for the 488 with the JBL option (and possibly the F8). I actually have a harness that will plug into the 488 NIT that separates the speaker wires. The challenge is the fact that the stereo signals coming out are digital (because the amp is digital). The volume, steering wheel controls, etc. all go through the CAN bus. However, the Mosconi amplifier I am using for this application has a digital inputs feature. I can manufacture a harness that plugs into the NIT that bypasses the JBL digital amplifier. All I need to do is to source the one connector for the speaker outs that plugs into the JBL digital amp. I am working on that from another angle.

iMrMark likes this.
  5. hardhattg

hardhattg Karting

Jan 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    timothy gould
    Can’t wait to hear first user review of this upgrade. Very interested

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

6. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    A very gracious Ferrari auto wrecker in Detroit has offered to test fit my prototype harness into one of the old style NITs. If this works, I will have a 100% plug and play harness for the 458, Cali, F12, etc. with the base stereo system. I should know by tomorrow.

7. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Random stereo question. On 488's, is there a delay in volume when you guys turn the volume knob?

8. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I have verified that my new prototype harness works perfectly in the old style Ferrari NIT. This means that I will have 100% plug and play harnesses available for the 458, F8, California, F12, etc. without the JBL option.
    So at this point I have following models covered (applicable to this Ferrari Chat section):
    Italia/458 Spider (base), Italia/458 Spider (JBL), 488 GTB, 488 Spider (base), F8 Tributo, F8 Spider (base), Speciale, Aperta, Pista, Pista, Spider.

Tomorrow I will be testing a partial prototype harness for the Ferrari/JBL 16 channel amplifier, and gathering enough additional information to complete the prototype harness. Once I get through this, I will have the 488/488 Spider (JBL) and the F8 Tributo, F8 Spider (JBL) covered.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    On Friday I had confirmed that I have access to all four connectors for the JBL 16 channel amplifier. However, the individual connectors are quite expensive (over $100.00 apiece).

10. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #35 SoftwareDrone, Jun 5, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2022
    Here is my first production unit. This harness allows you to add an aftermarket amplifier to any late model Ferrari with the base stereo system (i.e. no separate amplifier) without cutting any wires in your factory harness. The first picture is of my new harness (for the old style NITs, up to 2017), the second picture is of both my harnesses (old style NIT and new style NIT for 488, F8, Speciale, Pista, etc.).
    I developed the harness for the new style NIT last year (because those connectors were easier to find). I just now found the connectors for the old style NIT (458, Cali, etc.) so just now am producing these. I just wanted to show that both harnesses are the same concept, just the connectors are different. I have dozens of the new style NIT harnesses out in the field (purchased primarily from Ferrari dealers across the country).
    The ends of the speaker wires are all standard color coded and the connectors are standard Molex mini connectors. Any harness included with my amplifier kits will contain the corresponding harnesses that plug into these connectors. Everything will be 100% plug and play.

These will be going up on my website soon.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. AD211

AD211 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2017
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Andy
    SoftwareDrone likes this.
  12. eddylambo

eddylambo Rookie

Jun 5, 2022
    Full Name:
    eddy ho
    I would like to ask did the 488 has the crossover on the standard audio system

thank you

13. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I have received your email. I will reply with a wealth of information.

14. 020147

020147 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2006
    Midwest
    Very cool stuff! I have the base audio in my 488 and thats ok with me as I view the idea of listening to music in a Ferrari to be sacrilegious. But it would be nice to be able to use blue tooth calling which I woefully inadequate with the base stereo.

15. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    So I now have all of the connectors needed to make both a test harness (for my end) and my first prototype harness for the JBL "Professional" 16 channel amplifier. All I need now is the pinout of the amp itself.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

MANDALAY and iMrMark like this.
  16. pnd4pnd

pnd4pnd Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 19, 2021
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric Thune
    Mike, standing by to be your test mule

Eric

17. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thanks. I already have all of the 458 incantations covered. I have a harness for the 458 with the base stereo system and I have a harness for the 458 with the JBL premium system.
    I'm still trying to obtain the pinout for the 16 channel JBL amplifier. These amps are in the 488, F8, etc. with the JBL premium system. Basically any premium car after 2017. Once I get the pinout, building the harnesses will be easy. Then I will have every Ferrari model covered.
    Will keep sending updates.

iMrMark likes this.
  18. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I was not able to find anyone who was willing to help out with the pinout for the 488 JBL 16 channel amplifier, so I bought one (used) as well as the complete stock wiring harness that goes with it. With the actual gear in hand, we will be certain that we will have the correct pinout for the plug and play harness.
    I'm actually going to manufacture two harnesses. The first harness will allow you to completely bypass the JBL amp and replace it with another. The second harness will allow you to add an additional high power amplifier just for an additional subwoofer. The problem with completely bypassing the OEM amp is that a 16 channel replacement amplifier would most likely be so large that you wouldn't be able to mount it above the battery in the passenger footwell; you would have to mount an amp of that size in the front trunk, and most people probably wouldn't want to do that.
    The stock amp has a decent amount of power, as long as it's not being asked to power a subwoofer. The main issue with the JBL Premium system is having the 200mm subwoofers in the doors. Customers who have simply replaced those subs with decent 6 1/2" midrange speakers have reported a significant improvement in the sound quality. And this makes perfect sense. But if you do that, you'll have no bottom end. Replacing the door speakers with high end units, adding a high quality amplifier with a 100% plug and play harness, and adding a decent subwoofer behind the seats will result in a sound system of amazing quality.

19. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Okay, we have the complete pinout for the JBL 16 channel amplifier as well as all of the connectors. Now I start assembling the first prototype harness. However, we still need to spec the correct canbus decoder box to complete the harness. I'm hoping to have the system ready to test by the end of the week.

Meanwhile, my first customer that purchased the plug and play amp/shelf/harness system for the 458 Italia with the base stereo system (new harness) has reported back that his new sound system is fantastic, and he is very happy. He lives in Germany and is not on Ferrari Chat.

20. Sbow45

Sbow45 Rookie

Apr 29, 2016
    Knoxville, TN
    Full Name:
    Steve Bowman
    Would you mind sharing where your source for the plugs. I’m wanting to make an adapter from the stock speaker wires to the new male speaker posts to eliminate cutting off the old plugs. I have searched Newark and Digikey and cannot find anything that resembles them. Note, I have the base system in my 458 and just upgrading with better speakers.

21. MTribe

MTribe Rookie

Mar 18, 2013
    San Francisco, CA