FORMULA 1 AZERBAIJAN GRAND PRIX 2022: ▄▀▄▀▄▀ RACE ▄▀▄▀▄▀ | Page 11 | FerrariChat

FORMULA 1 AZERBAIJAN GRAND PRIX 2022: ▄▀▄▀▄▀ RACE ▄▀▄▀▄▀

Discussion in 'F1' started by SPEEDCORE, Jun 11, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gh0st0

gh0st0 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 2, 2018
    Midwest
    Ferrari need to focus on race pace, perez and Charles beat out max in quali but look at the race. Max 20 seconds ahead of 2nd and 3rd was 20 seconds behind 2nd. Merc was targeting 49.5 a lap vs 47 at the end for RB, tire wear wasn’t even a factor for them at that time. Nuts

stavura, Thecadster and Bas like this.
  2. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Read it again genius. It's about sacrificing driver safety for performance.

3. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

But there is no harm done trying, is it?

Apart that it irritates you, of course.

4. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Yup. Max had to do 48 target at first and the only reason was preventing a repeat of last year. He could've gone faster..

5. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    No harm in trying. I'm just pointing it out for those blind to see.

6. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
  7. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

This formula is not as exciting as last year. This was the the least interesting race so far.

8. MaxVerstappen33

Apr 24, 2022
    Full Name:
    Bertrand Gachot
    Good point about the engine 'upgrade' it's been very costly. But at least it's fixable. Since 2023 is the same rules is there any point focusing on 2023 cars any time soon? 2022 is basically real life testing for 2023.

Arvin Grajau, 20000rpm and Bas like this.
  9. DF1

Superb!! I needed this laugh after the anger earlier. :)

Sharknose likes this.
  10. DF1

Not sounding like LH is done with F1. Back pain is never fun.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/hamilton-praying-for-end-of-azerbaijan-gp-due-to-back-pain-in-mercedes/10321171/

Hamilton 'praying for end' of Azerbaijan F1 GP with back pain in Mercedes
    Lewis Hamilton said he "cannot express the pain" suffered due to bouncing in his Mercedes Formula 1 car during the Azerbaijan Grand Prix and was relieved just to finish.

Mercedes' problems with bouncing and porpoising re-emerged at the bumpy Baku street track this weekend, with both Hamilton and teammate George Russell complaining of back pain after practice and qualifying.

The seven-time world champion complained of back pain over his team radio during the race, with Mercedes team boss Toto Wolff apologising to him for the car's bouncing problem, as Hamilton was grateful just to finish the race in fourth place due to the pain he was feeling.

"I was just holding and biting down on my teeth due to the pain, and the adrenaline [helped], I cannot express the pain that you experience, particularly on the straight here," Hamilton told Sky Sports F1, having been visibly in pain when both getting out of the car and in the post-race media interviews.

"At the end you are just praying for it to end.

"But we were in such a good position still, third and fourth, a great result for the team. The team did a great job with the strategy."

Hamilton remains confident once Mercedes cures its F1 car's porpoising problem it can make clear performance jumps as he estimated the issue was costing him around one second per lap in Baku.

"Once we fix this bouncing we'll be right there in the race," he said. "But we were losing, for sure, over a second just with bouncing. Or at least a second with bouncing.

"I'll be at the factory tomorrow, we've got to have some good discussions and keep pushing.

11. johncasale

johncasale Karting

May 18, 2006
    Full Name:
    John
    Not that it would have mattered with a blown engine, but if the first turn is a left hander - shouldn't pole position be on the left side? Seems like Perez had the advantage at the start.

kes7u, High Sierra, moretti and 2 others like this.
  12. lagunacc

lagunacc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 24, 2013
    Endless hardship.

Outqualified and outscored, again.

stavura, Bas, 20000rpm and 3 others like this.
  13. piolaxo

piolaxo Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2012
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Salvador
    Just read that Hamilton could miss Canada from the back pain. That will start to get people serious about the effects of the bouncing.
    He didn't look too well after the race.

14. gh0st0

gh0st0 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 2, 2018
    Midwest
    I took it with a grain of salt when mb complained about the clipping, but ric said post race he was shaken from the Mclaren. Think there might be something to this

DF1 likes this.
  15. DF1

It’s clear Russell is faster. The physical affects of the car are a different issue.

william likes this.
  16. mcimino

mcimino Formula 3

Oct 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Someone remind the Ferrari garage to perform timely belt services! :mad:

17. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas

Mercedes are causing the problems themselves. Red bull actually run higher.

Nice try Mercedes!

18. 67bmer

67bmer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 28, 2015
    MD
    Binotto was ridiculed by the fans for stating Ferrari was not quite ready to be fighting for the championship earlier.

However, they are now fighting to finish races when it once appeared they were fighting for podiums.
    They were fighting for podiums when it appeared they were fighting to win.

Engine penalties coming later in the season, it now appears that a few Red Bull DNFs allowed too much optimism to creep in.

Charles now has 3rd most poles in Ferrari history!

Perez might have the driver of the year locked up! I am amazed at the job he is doing.

Max was faster than Perez who was faster than Charles on the straight, it should have been obvious race pace was going to exceed lap pace. Red Bull didn't have to use team orders, which should be a little disappointing to Perez that the fix was already in before the start.

19. Jeronimo GTO

Jeronimo GTO Formula 3

May 15, 2010
    I wouldn’t be surprised if MB/Toto will put increasing pressure to « flex »* the agreed upon rules and regulations in their direction during the course of the season.

Wouldn’t be the first time, either.**

* pun intended
    **… an when it doesn’t work out for them, they are « controversially » « robbed » of « their » win(s)/championship(s)… :rolleyes:

Bas likes this.
  20. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    I agree in that porpoising could be a safety issue, but there are elegant ways of dealing with it without spoiling the competition, like putting an accelerometer and setting a maximum level of porpoising allowed, instead of forcing a minimum ride eight that would help some and **** others.

21. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    The accelerometer is the fairest.

Unfortunately that'll put an end to the championship fight...but it'll be funny if that's the ruling as it'll seriously backfire on merc, lol.

FIA should just clearly lay out what the team should do. Raise ride height until it stops, or stop complaining.

If that doesn't work, then they have a serious design flaw in their car and if Mercedes say it's too dangerous, consider not using the car until they fix the problem.

Minimum ride heights or active suspension would reek of manipulation.

22. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I haven't realised until recently that not only you despise Hamilton, which I have known for years, but you also harbour such hate against Mercedes.

23. DF1

william likes this.
  24. JJ

JJ F1 World Champ

Jan 6, 2010
    PA
    Full Name:
    He's desperate for an excuse to quit mid-season whilst simultaneously playing the perpetual victim.

stavura, 20000rpm, lagunacc and 4 others like this.
  25. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

If I read between the lines, it looks to me that some team don't want to talk about it openly, and told their drivers not to complain.