Battery Tender | FerrariChat

Battery Tender

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by BillDono, Jun 10, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BillDono

BillDono Karting

Jan 8, 2022
    Naples, Florida
    Full Name:
    Bill D’Onofrio
    Question: I was at my dealer the other day checking out a 2022 demo model (PM to be exact).

The car was hooked up to the battery tender which made sense since the demo is rarely driven. The dealer suggested that the tender should be used if the vehicle is not driven “weekly”.

Not a big deal if that’s the norm, but to me that seemed excessive.

What is everyone’s experience with newer Ferraris given all their battery draining electronics?

2. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Reality is that the tender must be used as soon as the car is stored - unless it is driven daily.
    Not doing it is not fatal, it just kills the battery very quickly.

paulchua and 020147 like this.
  3. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    To quote the manual:

Constant use of the specific battery conditioner provided by Ferrari
    ensures that the original battery installed in the vehicle is kept charged
    correctly and in working order.

4. Doug.

Doug. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    So a tender is required daily even if the car is taken out every week? Is this a constant requirement throughout all eras of cars or only the newer ones?

Isn't there a battery cut off switch?

5. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Ferrari suppressed the cut-off switch some years ago (after the F430 and 599 - the 458 apparently has a switch, but its use is reserved for Ferrari assistance network (!!) according to the owners manual).

6. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    My 328 didn’t need this, but the only always-on electric was the clock.

I drove it weekly.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

boxerman likes this.
  7. GameMaker

GameMaker Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2014
    WA State
    The batteries in these cars are garbage. A week parked without the tender can leave the car in an unstartable position. I had this happen to my a couple of weeks ago and had to charge the battery before I could start it up. My first battery ate it last year after about 2 years!

So yes I plug the car in unless I am literally planning on driving every day.

2dinos, AD211 and tomc like this.
  8. RossoCorsa22

RossoCorsa22 Karting

May 11, 2022
    Oakland, CA
    Full Name:
    Kareem
    Wait, these cars can't go more than a couple days off a battery tender? I don't leave my Porsches off the tender for more than 4-5 days, but Ferraris can't stand more than a day or two off the tender?

9. craze

craze Formula 3

Mar 5, 2021
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Yeh hard to believe but true
    Maybe the newer models are better

10. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    My 911 is fine after 3-4 weeks, no tender. But the battery is new and I don’t lock it/alarm in the garage.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

11. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    When my Portofino is parked,I attach the tender every other day. It takes an hour or less to be fully charged. My original battery is doing fine after three years.

Try to have a fully charged battery when starting to avoid problems. If that is not practical,spend $2000 for a Braille lithium battery (which should be standard or at least optional). That will be my next battery.

12. JCR

JCR F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
    It is not only a Ferrari thing. It's an all modern cars issue. Modern vehicles have a plethora of microprocessors that never truly turn off with the key. Battery "maintainers" should be used on any vehicle not regularly driven.

020147 likes this.
  13. rob5819

rob5819 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Barry
    If you buy a car and it has a built-in battery tender port, you should plan to plug in the tender when you are not driving the car.

14. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    True battery maintainer/conditioners (CTEK and others) also help to ensure that batteries last a long time. I have had several go 12-15 years...

020147 likes this.
  15. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    My 355 has a switch- Never had an issue-

458 will go dead in two weeks or less if alarm is set- Where I store my cars does not have power so before I got my Antigravity battery I would just take a portable power unit with a 4amp Battery Tender and top it off weekly if I was unable to drive it due to weather or travel. The factory tender/charger worked fine but slow to actually charge- fine for floating. So just used the Battery Tender which was much faster and still 4-stage.

Newer factory tenders are much better- But yes- any time you are not driving it and at home or whatever just plug it in- keeps the battery topped off and healthy and even a low battery can cause all sorts of issues with modem Ferrsris.

Or just have an Antigravity installed and call it a day :cool::cool::cool:

Cheers :)

020147 likes this.
  16. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Yup! That said my 2018 GT3 Touring has a built in "battery saver" that kicks in if the car has not been driven- warns you it was enabled when you start the car and that you need to drive "an extended distance"- I just keep it topped off with a Battery Tender since it does not have a factory port like the 458 does- Never had an issue.

Cheers :cool:

17. RossoCorsa22

RossoCorsa22 Karting

May 11, 2022
    Oakland, CA
    Full Name:
    Kareem
    I have both Porsches on battery tenders, but will often park at the airport for 4 or 5 day trips, naturally without power. Haven't ever had a problem. Sounds like late model Ferraris are more sensitive to less-than-perfectly-tended batteries?

18. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Definitely- First, Porsche factory batteries are better and second, the electrical systems management seems to be more "battery friendly"- But credit to Ferrari for realizing this and providing factory-fitted and fairly high quality battery chargers/tenders/conditioners with the cars and sexy plug-ins. I think their rationale is that most people that own newer Ferraris don't leave them at airports or store them in places without power- you obviously are the former and I'm the latter but we are a small percentage I imagine :cool:

020147 likes this.
  19. FerrariFinally

FerrariFinally Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2018
    Roseville, CA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I do place my cars on battery tenders, some need it more than others depending on age of vehicles and brand...

More of a question than comment here...does anyone know if battery tenders have any ill effects on agm batteries?

020147 likes this.
  20. 020147

020147 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2006
    Midwest
    The CTEK 7002 has a snowflake program on it. I believe it is for batteries kept in non heated spaces but also for the higher charging requirements an AGM battery need. My AGM has been in my 488 for about two years to the date and on a 7002 set for the AGM battery and it’s been flawless. The car is always on a tender when it’s not driven.

For the Porsche guys… Is a Porsche like a Mercedes in that it has a battery for starting only and a second battery for the cars ancillary’s? I wouldn’t be shocked to see Ferrari take a similar approach to their cars in the future.

21. FerrariFinally

FerrariFinally Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2018
    Roseville, CA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Thanks ssgshark_, it seems like every time there is a "new" tech/product, such as gel batteries, something new with maintenance is attached to them.

I may be able to answer your porsche and mercedes q, although bear in mind my porsche was pretty old 2002. But that porsche only had one battery. My 2007 cl600 has 2 batteries, and it seems that system works really well against drainage, of course the negative is added weight, I believe my ancillary is an H7...very large and very heavy in the trunk

020147 likes this.
  22. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    It’s weird and random. The cars that gave Ferrari the reputation for me were bullet proof battery wise
    My 16m with factory battery can sit for weeks. No issue.
    360 was impervious to sitting. Never put a tender with interstate battery I think.
    My 430 Had a tender which prior owner installed. Lived On the charger Unless driven on consecutive days. .
    My FF died in days and no dejan could be found so it lived on the tender
    Replaced the battery frequently under warranty after the second one.

Lusso goes a week but not weeks or theirs hell to
    Pay.

F8 812 didn’t care about sitting and had no gremlins at all.

I have three tenders for four cars in my main garage. I keep the cars I’m not driving that day on the tenders and everyone is happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

020147 likes this.
  23. BillDono

BillDono Karting

Jan 8, 2022
    Naples, Florida
    Full Name:
    Bill D’Onofrio
    The garage where my Portofino M will be housed (way down south) is air conditioned and, of course, has wall power outlets. I plan to add an additional wall outlet closer to where the vehicle’s rear end will sit.

After reading the replies to my original post on this topic I’ll put my new baby on a tender when not being driven.

24. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I have all on tender all time. Just make it a habit.

Viperjoe likes this.
  25. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    The Boxer does not need a tender, at least for for 6-weeks.
    My Gulia has sat for over 2 months with no issue.