Autoweek: SF90 Greatest Ferrari Ever Made | FerrariChat

Autoweek: SF90 Greatest Ferrari Ever Made

Discussion in 'SF90 Stradale' started by PA Wolfpacker, Jun 14, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PA Wolfpacker

PA Wolfpacker Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2007
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Neil
  2. greenbeast

greenbeast Rookie

Jan 20, 2015
    Panamá
    Full Name:
    Tony ng
    Totally agree

3. RumorDude

RumorDude Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2003
    Woodinville, WA
    hmm, the point #9 reads like a synopsis of my review ;) obviously i agree.

4. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    458?

5. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    Interesting review and I agree that the SF90 is a wonderful and interesting car. I also love the way it looks but can understand why its controversial. Just ordered a TM spider and will sell our AF coupe. Ordered the spider in normal guise which the article suggests not to do, however, every photograph in the article shows them driving the same car which is non AF?!

6. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    It's a car that needs to be seen in person to be fully appreciated. I remember seeing the spy shots from the premiere and not liking anything about it!

7. Cocoloco

Cocoloco Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2013
    Running out of room and agree - may let go 16M or Speciale for SF90AF spider.

8. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Keep Speciale

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JTSE30, willcrook and Cocoloco like this.
  9. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

458, Pista, F12 TDF, Challenge Stradale...and that's just to keep with the normal prod cars.

10. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    #10 Napoli, Jun 18, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2022
    Not knocking the car; there are many pluses that come with the SF90, but it is a hybrid - a first try hybrid. And, according to many of it owners, a glitchy and temperamental one at that. To be called "The Greatest," it must be reliable and be able to stand the test of time. It is way too early to make that declaration. This article is pure hyperbole, to the extent that it reads like a promotional piece.

LVP488 and JTSE30 like this.
  11. Cocoloco

Cocoloco Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2013
    #11 Cocoloco, Jun 18, 2022
    First hybrid was 10 years ago and greatest exotics of all time no correlation with reliability it's known as personality, You don't like someone else's opinion - perhaps drive one.
    Large presence sounds great and fast add it's 1000hp Spider version below 1m.

12. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    While personally I am not a massive SF90 fan you can't really argue with any of the points made and cumulative statement is difficult to argue with. As far as the "looks" statement I personally would argue with that but the old adage applies that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

To my eye an F8 is prettier as is a Daytona SP3- and I own a 355GTS and 458S and always have felt that the 355 GTB/GTS was perhaps the most beautiful mid-engine Ferrari ever made.

But that's not to say that the SF90 is not strikingly beautiful. Like pretty much any Ferrari :cool:

Cheers :)

Cocoloco likes this.
  13. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    The car to which you refer was, in Ferrari's own words, a "mild" hybrid, not "active."

I have driven the SF90 and it was impressive.

First off, it's too early to make "The Greatest" claim. The car has to be more than fast - or even the fastest, to be "The Greatest." And, reliability matters, so it will have to overcome that issue. Great cars spend more time on the road than in the shop.

14. Cocoloco

Cocoloco Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2013
    #14 Cocoloco, Jun 18, 2022
    So take the Stradale owner vs 430 458 488 worst on maintenance but has high owner ratings.
    P1 918 La - battery and other issues 125 - 200k no owners mind that known cost and they all aged well. The premise of an exotic is boutique charm and exclusivity. The SF90 owners have warranty for many years and years of production they will receive updates. Owners impressions mean everything short and long term.

15. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    Half of what you have said in your posts to me is untrue. No need to continue.

16. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Although the post is from a few days ago the article itself is from one year ago - the SF90 was then the latest Ferrari (others like the Portofino M or F8 were modified cars rather than truly new ones) so it was in some ways expected to be the "greatest" Ferrari.
    Since then we've had the Roma and 296, and also some perspective on a car that's not anymore the latest.
    With less excitement the SF90 is no doubt still impressive - but, the greatest of all Ferrari history ? Personnally I'm not convinced, Ferrari has produced many great cars over the years.

17. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    Although it’s nearly impossible to declare which Ferrari is the greatest, the SF90 does have a kind of greatness on it. For what it achieves, the fact it is such a good, rewarding and challenging car to drive is ‘great’. Mine has been brilliantly reliable although I know there has been an issue with the battery supplier and some cars have had problems. Ferrari greatness and reliability have never had much to do with each other though…

buddyg likes this.
  18. Cocoloco

Cocoloco Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2013
    I will take 1/2 vs zero from your prior posts - you don't own one or have any desire to do so. Yet you are going to judge based on others impressions who clearly feel the SF90 is new territory for Ferrari. Coupe Spider AF best of all worlds - you can't name another Ferrari like offering.

19. Fortis

Fortis Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2019
    Full Name:
    Fortis
    I don't agree when people form opinions on reliability based on some outliers, I have almost 2000 km on mine and have had zero issues, does that mean that the SF90 is the most reliable car in the world no, no car is 100% reliable in particular a newly designed and developed one as sophisticated as the SF90, 1st year production always has some teething problems, early adopters fully expect that.

As to how fantastic this car is, I have no words to describe it, I am simply obsessed with it, just came back from an amazing four hour mountain and country road drive, I was very sad when I had to park it and walk away LOL.

It's such a shame for the individuals who could have access to this experience and are depriving themselves of it over some preconceptions, it's even worse when some speak without first hand knowledge, counterproductive.

Just accept that the car is simply different and enjoy it for what it is, how boring would life be without the abundance of variety we have access to?

20. JJ77

JJ77 Formula Junior

Oct 3, 2020
    Spot on… most addictive Ferrari I have owned.. seems even faster after software updates 476 & 477. Just 1 error message in 10 months of ownership, Passenger E Latch.

of2worlds, buddyg and REALZEUS like this.
  21. Cocoloco

Cocoloco Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2013
    Agree - Mac will offer a 750 (upgrade 720 like F8) AM struggles with Valhalla.
    When if ever has Ferrari been years ahead of all the competition.

Lukeylikey likes this.
  22. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    As I have previously stated, I drove the SF90 and found it to be impressive. Super performance! Just crazy!

I am happy to hear the "success stories" such as yours. I am a Ferrari fan and hope for the best for everyone involved in Ferrari ownership, including the SF90. I have no "preconceptions." If I did, there would have been no reason for me to drive it.

But: Every time I go into my Ferrari dealer, there are between 2 and 6 SF90's with all of their doors, hatches and frunks wide open with guts consisting of batteries and fat orange cables spilling out. They dominate the garage space. I have seen this often enough to believe they are not "outliers." I have spoken with the service managers and the mechanics. I possess "first hand knowledge." Your experience - again, which I am happy to hear - is but a single data point. Further, just because I chose not buy an SF90, doesn't mean I am "depriving" myself. Based on what I have learned, I chose not buy an SF90. It was an informed decision. That's enough for me to say it's not the greatest Ferrari. If I felt that it was, I would own one. Respect my decision. I am not knocking you for yours!

Happy Fathers Day! :cool:

23. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    On the other day, if the defining trait of a great Ferrari is reliability, then the best Ferrari is a Mazda or a Lexus...

24. Fortis

Fortis Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2019
    Full Name:
    Fortis
    So defensive LOL

outlier
    a person, thing, or fact that is very different from other people, things, or facts, so that it cannot be used to draw general conclusions.

You are presenting "facts" based on anecdotal evidence, evidence which is misaligned with general consensus, if what you are saying is correct, that would mean statistically that most of the cars your dealer has delivered are broken not only that it would mean that majority of the overall delivered cars are in fact broken.

Why do I think your evidence is anecdotal rather than factual?

"everytime you go" into the dealer, how many times is every time?
    how many cars has your dealer delivered?
    are you looking at the same cars? are the cars there always the same or are there different cars there everytime you go?
    are those cars there due to failure or break downs or servicing, updates, etc.?

You want to prove that you are statistically correct and I am not, I will help you out, follow this link and come back with the data:

https://www.scribbr.com/statistics/outliers/
    there is more than one way to calculate it but statistical detection might be the most appropriate in this scenario:

Statistical outlier detection
    Statistical outlier detection involves applying statistical tests or procedures to identify extreme values.
    You can convert extreme data points into z scores that tell you how many standard deviations away they are from the mean.
    If a value has a high enough or low enough z score, it can be considered an outlier. As a rule of thumb, values with a z score greater than 3 or less than –3 are often determined to be outliers.

Not saying that you are incorrect, what I am saying is that you are simply guessing based on anecdotal evidence and assumptions "first hand knowledge" the fact that those cars aren't outliers out of the entire sample pool, you can not know for certain that they are not as I am claiming outliers and the reason I am saying is because if they were the norm and if what you are saying is correct that would mean that majority of SF90 delivered are broken and my "success story" SF90 is the outlier, do you really believe that's the case?
    If you do I wouldn't have much to say to you going forward because I prefer common sense and data over guess work and emotions.

Furthermore, I honestly couldn't care less if you bought one or not why wouldn't I respect your decision? I have no idea who you are and until this morning when I saw your reply to my comment you were nothing in a huge sea of nothingness, why would I care what someone who represents nothing to me does?, I am not trying to be insensitive but I don't understand why would you be assuming that.

My comment about one depriving oneself was more philosophical than factual and I stand by it, the SF90 is a great experience and it will always be that for most enthusiasts and I think it's sad if one misses out.

I see you love assumptions so Happy father's day to you to, this time you are correct because you were on the good side of statistics, it's more likely than not that I am a middle aged guy with children :)

25. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    A 4,000 lb pig will never, ever qualify for the "The Greatest Ferrari Ever Made". :rolleyes: Period. I can hear Enzo laughing from here. :p

IMO :D >>>> At this rate, next year they will declaring the Purosangue SUV "The Greatest Ferrari Ever Made" and you will all be ok with it! :eek: ;)
    We have long ago lost all touch with "What is a Ferrari?"

willcrook, Napoli and 4re4ever like this.