Thoughts on moving up to F430 from a MINT 308? | FerrariChat

Thoughts on moving up to F430 from a MINT 308?

Discussion in '360/430' started by Formula Uno, Sep 27, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Formula Uno

Formula Uno F1 Veteran

Oct 8, 2008
    New York City
    #1 Formula Uno, Sep 27, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2016
    My life will never be the same!

I drove a F430 and an F458 6 laps each on the track, in New Jersey Motorsports with Xtreme Xperience.

I have owned a 1980 308GTSI for 8 years now. I just couldn't believe the difference between it and the modern Ferrari's. I was shocked to see how much faster the new cars are, how insane the breaking is, how fast the computer shifts the car, and how late I applied the brakes when approaching a turn. I hit 140MPH in the 458 on the long straight....Shocking!!

No disrespect to the 308, because I love it for what it is, but I will say that if the 308 is a bi-plane then the 430 is an F-16.

IMO from my limited exposure, I didn't see THAT much difference between the 430 and the 458. The 458 definitely rode smoother, shifted faster, braked quicker, and seemed to accelerate faster but again, in my limited exposure to them, I would say that the difference wasn't THAT significant. Both are WAY faster than I could drive them safely anyway.

So...now I want a 430:) The 458 is financially out of my reach right now so I am seriously considering a 430. The dilemma being that my 308 is appreciating in value quickly and the 430 seems to be depreciating or is at least stable, so I definetely have something to think about. I can't afford it right now to have both.

Aren't 1st World problems great;)

I would love to hear you comments!

catdog likes this.
  2. ICULUKN

ICULUKN Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2007
    Ahwatukee AZ
    Full Name:
    G.P.
    I think many enjoy the lack of maintenance as well as the added performance of the 430.

I am not interested in trading, but good luck with finding someone to do it.

3. Formula Uno

Formula Uno F1 Veteran

Oct 8, 2008
    New York City
    Thanks for the reply! My "trade" wish was made tongue in cheek but I am interested in hearing comments on my experience the other day with the 430/458 vs 308 and my thoughts on 308 value in the near future.

I would even consider a 360 but they are still depreciating.

4. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    #4 I'm 360 Canuck, Sep 28, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
    probably the 308 sub forum would be better for discussing values of your car.

I have a soft spot for the 308 as it is THE Ferrari I knew and dreamed of when I was a child. But IMO if you can get an even trade for a decent 360 for your car, id jump on it.
    a quick look at sold listings on ebay shows they are still going for 40-50k, which is still less than what 360s are going for. Find me a single non-wrecked 360 in that price range and I will wire the money today. Opportunistic asking prices hoping to ride the tail end of the wave of collector car frenzy, does not equate to true value appreciation. Value is not established until a trend of sales are realized, and I think buyers are now in control of the market again for all but the most extraordinary examples. But again, the guys in the 308 forum would be far more knowledgeable than I. Are 360s still depreciating as you say? Im not sure of that. I think the market is just soft right now, sellers haven't thrown in the towel yet. theres just a lot of uncertainty in the air right now (economically and politically), and some really exciting new performance cars on the market as well (hellcats, vipers, corvette, Porsche etc) so lots to choose from.

And unless you've got Tom Sellecks car, I think you've got a better chance of getting struck by lightning than getting a trade for a f430, no disrespect intended.

5. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    I don't think the 308 and 328 has much short-term upside at this point, more likely to correct in value - just IMO. Neither do I think the 360 is depreciating much further, unless you buy a low mile late stick at a notable premium (could also see some correction). I have a 328 as well as a few more current Ferraris - no doubt there is a huge difference in performance, maintenance, convenience, and practicality. On the other hand I think the 328 (308 by extension) is one of the prettiest Ferraris, and some of the other things are part of the charm :) Nothing like that smell of vintage cars and machinery :)

6. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    lol...different strokes, for different folks. I'm looking to move from a late model v8 to a 328 :)

7. KM1959

KM1959 Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2014
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    While you love driving an F430 the rest of your comments are more concerned about "depreciation" than acceleration. So what's it going to be? Are you in it for the driving thrills or saying that you own a "MINT 308"". No one knows what tomorrow will bring regarding 308 prices, F430 prices, or even you for that matter.

Personally, a mint 308 does nothing for me. However, my F430 spider gives me nothing but smiles. And if 46 other people tell you the same thing does it really matter to you? You want performance? It'll cost you. However, not getting what you really want will cost you too.

8. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F
    #8 Sean F., Sep 28, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
    I just made the switch from a ’77 GTB to a 2002 360 Coupe w/ 6sp Manual.

I’ve been following the market for 308’s since I purchased mine in 2003. Yes, it was VERY flat for a long time and saw a good run up the last 18-months. However, prices have stalled, A LOT in the last 6-months. Everyone wanted to tell me what my car was worth, but no one wanted to pay me that much money for it. I did get good money for my car, it was about 15% below what everyone wanted to claim it was worth. So be careful about how you value your car. And no offense, the “i” cars are not worth what the early carb and QV cars are worth.

That being said, I was at the point where I was tired of the quirky nature of the car…let the carbs fill with gas before starting, let it warm up before it idles well, small oil leaks here and there, the never ending “restoration process”…it was hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It was noisy (not the engine, just the car was OLD), and my wife was not a big fan. She always felt like I smelled like gas when I was done driving it, and she was right. I was ready for a change so I made the choice to sell the old one and upgrade.

Not to get into a long story, I made a really good deal on a 2002 Grigio Allow 360 Coupe with a 6sp manual and 23,500 miles with good records. I had a PPI done and the shop found aging motor mounts and a bad AC compressor so I had those done before I purchased the car. As far as the new car, I FREAKING LOVE IT! Yes, a lot more power, better cornering, it starts every time I turn the key, exhaust is fantastic (it has a Capristo Stage 1) and it’s just a blast to drive. Very comfortable and roomy interior. Just a more modern car. I’ve put 800-miles on it the first two months I owned it and I use it A LOT more than the old car. My wife and I will take it to lunch on the weekends and then maybe run a few errands. Sure, I sometimes miss the lines of my old car, but I don’t miss the oldness of it at all.

As far as depreciation&#8230;I got a manual and those are worth more for some reason. I did get an offer to buy it, sight unseen, for more than I paid for it but not sure how serious it was. But I didn&#8217;t buy my old car as an investment nor did I buy this one as an investment. I&#8217;ve loved Ferrari&#8217;s since I was a kid and always wanted one. I got lucky, took advantage of the market to upgrade. That being said, 360 prices seemed to be holding as well for good cars with <30k miles. Obviously if you drive it a lot and the miles get up to 50K plus, the value will go down. That's just a fact of car ownership. Honestly, I don't care if my car is worth 2x what I paid for it or 10% of what I paid for it 10-years from now. It's a toy to be enjoyed and I plan to take good car of it, and drive it ... A LOT!

Just read the buyer&#8217;s guide, know the issues on the 430 (headers, sticky interior, motor and tranny mounts, maybe some other small ones..don&#8217;t know), get a good PPI done but know if you don&#8217;t do some of your own maintenance, the bills will be a lot larger than on your 308. The 10qt of Shell oil, filters, etc. are nearly 2x what I spent on the 308 and that&#8217;s just the parts. Total labor hours is more as well (my '77 was like a normal car, just drain and fill - the 360/430 you have to remove the under panel to change the oil and the rear bumper to change the tranny fluid).

9. SpiderSweden

SpiderSweden Karting

Aug 4, 2016
    360 depreciating? Dont know the US market but in Sweden then have gone up in price last couple of years.

Skickat från min SM-G928F via Tapatalk

10. curtisc63

curtisc63 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 13, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Curtis Campbell
    I sold my 77 GTB as the run up was getting going. 6 months later i purchased a recent major 360 Modena F1 (40K miles) that needed some work (leather, sticky, PS leak) and TLC for less money than the 308 selling price. I like working and tinkering on cars so this was a good deal for me.

I do not miss the 308 at all. Sure it was nice to look at and definitely a classic. The 360 is a modern car that will likely never be AS collectible as the GTB. But holy crap is it a lot more fun and user friendly! Like Sean F. I find myself taking the 360 much more often than I took the 308 - more comfortable, space for running (a few) errands, and my wife likes it a whole lot more. A weekend away in the 308 NEVER would have happened. We have done a few in the 360. I am not looking back.

Get the car that will make you happy and give you the most smiles/mile.

11. ferrame

ferrame Formula 3

Mar 2, 2005
    Orange, Calif
    Hope you are not serious but I did it!!!

I bought my first used Ferrari 1980 308 GTSi in 1988 and drove it over 18k miles in 11 years I had so much fun until 1999 when I decided to try a newer Ferrari so I replaced it with a 1995 Ferrari F355 GTB and OMG the difference was day and night however I have always loved the body lines of 328 therefore in 2006 I bought a 1989 328 GTS and I have enjoyed driving it since. I hope you will find a nice 328 soon.

12. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    My advice probably won't help much, but.....

I have both a 328 and a 430, and wouldn't think of swapping one for the other. "Both" was the only answer that worked for me. They are such different cars, each with their own strong points, that an either or question just doesn't do it for me.

Yes, at one point I jokingly offered to trade my 328 for a mint condition CPO 430 in a fantastic color combo, but as soon as the words were out of my mouth I thought "Crap!! What if he says yes?"

So I waited, banked a couple more commission cheques, and then added a 430. Kept the 328. Planning to keep both for a very long time.

13. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    I agree. Try if at all possible to keep both.

Currently I have a 07 430 MT spider, a 12 458 italia.

The car I want next is a MT 355 spider. It's not all about performance. It's how you feel in the car.

Sounds like you need a track car however. The 430 and 458 are fantastic cars.

14. howl

howl Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2011
    Chicago/Boca
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Very different cars with a shared lineage. I own a 328 and a 430 6mt. 430 gets more mileage. There is a directness with the 328 that is not matched by the 430. They are just different experiences.

15. Freddan

Freddan Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 16, 2012
    Vansbro (Sweden)
    Full Name:
    Fredrik
    we can talk value all day long... nothing is Worth more that someone is willing to pay.

best of luck with your choise!(whatever you decide)

// Fredrik

16. Formula Uno

Formula Uno F1 Veteran

Oct 8, 2008
    New York City
    Thanks so much for your thoughts fellas! For now, I think that I will sit tight and see what happens, since a 430 isn't doable for me right now anyway, but a nice 360 is.

Before I bought the 308, I totally immersed myself on the 308, so I am going to start reading/researching 360 ownership and see what happens.

How would you fellas describe the driving/performance experience between the 430 and 360?

Thank you all. This have been a very fun and informative thread for me.

17. Harry-SZ

Harry-SZ F1 Rookie

And how did this story end? :)

I am also sometimes thinking about selling my 308 GTB QV and getting an F430 F1, but I am afraid I will regret selling the 308 :)
    Anyone here that did something similar and is very happy with the decision? Or maybe regrets it?

18. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    As much as I love my 430, I wouldn't swap out a sorted 308 or 328 for one. I'm at the age where a 308 or white Testarossa would be my dream car, I just don't have the cajones to buy one knowing the cost of maintenance or what could go wrong.

Harry-SZ likes this.
  19. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Such different animals, like comparing a classic mustang and a new mustang, things will always get better.
    keep the 308

Harry-SZ likes this.
  20. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    There's no comparison: the F430. The 308 would be a luxury if you can keep it, but next to the F430 it's simply a novelty.

21. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    I bought a 430 two years ago, and I’d love a 308, ALSO :)

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Harry-SZ likes this.
  22. romeo7

romeo7 Rookie

Oct 13, 2020
    Interesting to read back over this old thread. There is really no comparison between the 430 and the 308 - ultimately comes down to personal preference. 308 for me all day every day.

23. Harry-SZ

Harry-SZ F1 Rookie

Comparing them is very difficult, but I think they are both very cool cars and the F430 is a successor to the 308 of course in the V8-lineup.
    Thanks fore the responses, I need to decide for myself of course. I was hoping for 10 people that would say that they regretted buying an F430 and want their 308 back :)

I have not driven an F430 yet, so maybe I should do that to make the decision easier. I have driven a 458 though and other fast cars.

24. mathewr

mathewr F1 Rookie
    Sponsor Rossa Subscribed

Dec 7, 2011
    Deep in the Heart of Texas
    Full Name:
    Ferrari Wheel Guru
    Two words:

Do it.