360 - GTC Airbox | FerrariChat

360 GTC Airbox

Discussion in '360/430' started by Ghostdiver, Jun 23, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    brogenville, rizzo308 and duck.co.za like this.
  2. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Sexy!

Ghostdiver likes this.
  3. clean512

clean512 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2010
    Full Name:
    Josh @jtcarprojects
    Looks great. Still trying to understand the slop in it and how that helps.

4. Sj_engr

Sj_engr Formula 3

Sep 15, 2020
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    dc
    Looks only.

5. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    Copy of the email exchange between me a Michelotto:
    Good morning

depending on the photos sent, we can tell you that this airbox comes from a 360 GTC, and can not be mounted on the 360 NGT.

The angle design allows a better distribution of the internal pressure, and in case of water there have never been problems, the water coming out from below.

It is not a piece available in the catalog, so I can not communicate the price, but if it is interested we can do a search.

Thanks, kind regards

clean512 likes this.
  6. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    If it was a commercial part, I would have said you were correct. However, since it was designed for competition, I think looks were secondary in that aspect. This was verified when I contacted Michelotto specifically about the design.

7. 02360spider

02360spider Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    Dartmouth
    Full Name:
    Richard oliveira
    Awsome peice

Sent from my SM-G996U1 using Tapatalk

8. 02360spider

02360spider Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    Dartmouth
    Full Name:
    Richard oliveira
    Post a pic when you mount it

Sent from my SM-G996U1 using Tapatalk

9. clean512

clean512 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2010
    Full Name:
    Josh @jtcarprojects
    Sounds good

10. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    Interesting little tidbit of info. The GTC box came with a couple of K&N filters, that I just assumed were the same ones as the 360. Nope. Apparently, the GTC uses a different part number specific to the 360 GT/GTC cars. Google lists them as Hi-Flow filters for 360 GT. The pleat count is different by two 26 vs 28 favoring the OEM replacement. The overall height also differs; right at 1 inch vs 1 3/8 for the OEM one. The really interesting one is the interior width of the filter panel itself (part that sits in the box itself). The OEM replacement is right at 9 7/8 vs 10 1/4 for the GTC version. OEM one also has the mounting cutouts for the 430 whereas the GTC version just has the standard 360 mounting holes.

OEM 33-2494
    GTC 33-2854

Oh yea, the GTC ones have that used race car smell too!

Mel Spillman and clean512 like this.
  11. Mel Spillman

Mel Spillman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2012
    Sugar Land, Tx
    What body shop did you use? They sure did a nice job!! Love that part! Great find! Thanks, Mel

one4torque likes this.
  12. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    FoH...they did an outstanding job, and no Ferrari tax either! Apparently, they have a crew in there that specializes in carbon repair and refinishing, and not just on Ferraris.

Mel Spillman likes this.
  13. Mel Spillman

Mel Spillman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2012
    Sugar Land, Tx
    Is it Steve Egyed? He did some carbon fiber headlight mounts for me a few years ago. Outstanding work!

14. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    Not sure who the tech was. I only talked to Arnie the body shop manager.

one4torque likes this.
  15. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    #15 Ghostdiver, Jun 29, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2022
    Airbox is in, but it's not a 100% straight swap. This box had wellnuts to mount the expansion tank and when I first measured, the distance was within the mounting pads of the tank. Guess I was using a common core ruler to make that determination. The holes needed to be elongated along with shaved washers to allow a bolt up. In the pic, you can see the angle the mounts are at...this has been corrected. Another thing is the box apparently sits higher. I did not measure this, but the expansion tank is almost level with the top of the challenge grill. It still clears the bonnet cover, but rear visibility may be compromised. Not sure of this as I also installed a LCD rear view mirror with backup cam/rear view cam while I was doing this.

I was not able to use the lids that came with the box for a couple reasons. First being the tubes are unequal length and too short to reach the MAF sensors. Secondly, the diameter is smaller, probably the same as the original MAF sensors and not the lager CS ones. Still, the CS lids do fit, although they require some fitting, as the craftsmanship of the box itself is higher than the aftermarket lids especially around the tight tolerances of the flange itself.

I have not mounted the 360C intake duct yet as the 99 model apparently has some quirky stuff going on with the fuel filler neck. I will take a closer look at it when I can get the car up in the air and drop the wheel well liner. The surprising part is no modification was necessary to mount the existing plastic pipe to the box via the rubber connector. I assumed it would not have mated up to it. Another thing about mounting the box. The mounting tabs on the box are all carbon fiber except for the right rear which had broken off and was replaced with an aluminum bracket. I don't believe the bracket and the original mount to the chassis are in the same place as this is the only one that did not match up to the existing rubber standoff. Two choices, drill a hole in the chassis and mount a bushing or make a threaded spacer that would sit on the frame and allow for level adjustment. I chose the latter since I am opposed to drilling random holes in this car.

Another thing, even though the box is smaller and sexy, it's being covered up by that big CS muffler...kinda like a Victorias Secret lingerie model wearing a muumuu! Still, the box does weigh right at 2lbs less than the aluminum box.

Couple other things I learned; you definitely can hear the intake now when pressing the go pedal. Two, as pretty as the box is, I may have to look at a heat shield of some sort. The heat from the muffler is pretty intense. I thought about the gold or silver foil instead of an actual shield, but it may not be enough.

I'll have better pics later but for now here are the initial install pics.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

duck.co.za, mwstewart and rizzo308 like this.
  16. rizzo308

rizzo308 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    riggio
    Wow! nice work mate. Looks killa!!!

Ghostdiver likes this.
  17. clean512

clean512 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2010
    Full Name:
    Josh @jtcarprojects
    All I got to say is you got a deal. I reached out to saxxon who does the gtc parts. They have the mold to make that and they quoted me 5000 euro.

Ghostdiver likes this.
  18. Some Guy in the sky

Some Guy in the sky Formula Junior

Sep 19, 2018
    I would be interested in a video of intake sounds.

19. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    Wow...I would have figured about 3k.

20. clean512

clean512 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2010