430 - new owner - center console mods | FerrariChat

430 new owner - center console mods

Discussion in '360/430' started by k1netic, Jul 9, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. k1netic

k1netic Rookie

Oct 4, 2020
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Ben
    hey all! i picked up an '07 F430 F1 coupe a few months ago - figured i'd do a quick intro and share some of the "OEM+" style mods i've done so far. overall the car is amazing - i traded in an NA1 NSX to make the jump. i'll miss it, but the F430 driving experience is way more exciting so far. the Ferrari is parked alongside my 997.1 GT3 - which i plan to keep for a very long time!

it's a small thing, but no obvious cupholder was something that seemed missing. i checked out the aftermarket options that replace the ash tray but that location seems to get rather close and/or hit the brake handle when depressed. so, i decided to switch things around a bit.

i designed a cupholder for the stock switch panel position and a new switch panel for the ash tray position (adding a USB C charging port). i started by scanning the center console area plus all of the individual switch assemblies, prototyped a few flavors of arrangements (and tested cup holder sizes), machined the final version from 6061, blasted with fine glass beads, and finished with black Cerakote (my first go at Cerakote, actually!).

the OEM switch location is a bit tight for a cup holder, but i think it works well enough. it'll fit the standard aluminum can or a standard water bottle. probably not any of the big coffee drinks, though. so, some compromises there.

starting with the final product plus a picture of the sticky crap i replaced:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

---
    and here are some miscellaneous pictures of the process. i do this sort of mechanical design stuff for a living, so happen to have a useful collection of tools in my garage :)

you'll notice i made some changes along the way - at one point i was considering adding the Capristo valve transmitter to the switch area as well. ended up just putting that in the dash instead.

2. craze

craze Formula 3

Mar 5, 2021
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Awesome work!

VAF84 likes this.
  3. Mercedes_Benz

Mercedes_Benz Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    South Florida
    Real great work, and I like the fact it still remains very OEM looking.

4. mjposner

mjposner Karting

Dec 1, 2021
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Michael J Posner
    Beautiful work....request time: GPS Mount in front of console to fill space

5. Flyingbrick242

Flyingbrick242 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2017
    Northern AZ.
    Super clean and very factory looking. Love it!

6. colorfull

colorfull Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2020
    Franklin Park, New Jersey
    Full Name:
    John Napoli
    Really fantastic work!

Looks terrific, and agree with others, very OEM looking.

Congratulations on your car!

Pics?

7. 67bmer

67bmer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 28, 2015
    MD
    Incredible work!

8. k1netic

k1netic Rookie

Oct 4, 2020
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Ben
    also, i can't figure out what the heck is going on here - curious if anyone else has seen this before? the black mask on the backside of the rear glass seems to have come off just in this one area, but it's behind the sheetmetal hatch frame, so i can't access it to repair/touch-up. something to do with where the heating element connects?

9. AandSC

AandSC Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 12, 2016
    Jax, FL
    Full Name:
    Allen

Mine is the same. I’ve read this is normal and has something to do with the heater elements.

colorfull and k1netic like this.
  10. Mercedes_Benz

Mercedes_Benz Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    South Florida
    I'm not so sure I would call that normal, but rather a known problem. Although thankfully I don't have it. Maybe a nice small solid black sticker can help hide it cut to shape?

k1netic and EastMemphis like this.
  11. colorfull

colorfull Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2020
    Franklin Park, New Jersey
    Full Name:
    John Napoli
    Nice

Like the matte stripes, subtle but impressioned. Do you know if those are clear matte stripes or painted black?

And the shot with the three black dogs

12. k1netic

k1netic Rookie

Oct 4, 2020
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Ben
    they're just matte black vinyl - i installed them on there a few weeks ago. i have some similarly subtle matte black "GT3" graphics on the 911 and really like the semi-hidden look on a gloss black car, so wanted to try something with the F430. adds a bit of 'mean-ness' without being in your face!

colorfull likes this.
  13. k1netic

k1netic Rookie

Oct 4, 2020
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Ben
    thanks for the perspectives! i wish i could get to the backside to add a sticker or some touch-up paint, but there's no access. maybe a super thin sticker on the outside would be better than nothing - not sure.

14. clean512

clean512 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2010
    Full Name:
    Josh @jtcarprojects
    Looks great

15. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    You could make it a QR code and nobody would think twice about it. The code could say "This sticker covers an ugly spot."

k1netic likes this.