458 Spider at Mecum Orlando | FerrariChat

458 Spider at Mecum Orlando

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Eric R, Jul 10, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    Wow! It had like 25k mi but $165k is unreal! It did not hit reserve which was $200k and the seller let it go anyway. Regardless of any issues, that is a steal. What do you guys think? If I could score a 458 like that at auction I would be very tempted to do so.

2. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

I’m going to guess there’s more to the story , car fax etc.

triathgeek likes this.
  3. HardTen

HardTen Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 7, 2011
    Ft. Worth, TX
    I’m guessing there’s quite a bit more to the story. For a modern and highly desirable Ferrari to only have the VIN number on the car card should set off all kinds of red flags. Go to the Mecum website and check out the walk around video of the car. Pay special attention to the section of the video that shows the engine compartment and ask yourself “I wonder what causes that to happen?”.

Cigarzman and triathgeek like this.
  4. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Yep- Agree- Plus Ferraris are notably hit or miss at these things- same with BJ (worse imho) - they will spend 30 minutes on one of the 642 57 Chevys they have or some piece of **** restomod and 40 seconds on an exotic - The average (not all obviously) attendee at Mecum or BJ event can't spell Ferrari much less buy one-

ShadowLAP, Cigarzman and triathgeek like this.
  5. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    Eric R likes this.
  6. triathgeek

triathgeek Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2010
    Santa Clarita, CA
    There is no cheap Ferrari. Dropping the already low reserve & letting it go for $165K is a nuclear red flag. I'm guessing alcohol was involved and there wasn't a competent PPI if there was even one at all. Buying a high end exotic at action is crazy unless you have invested in your due diligence on the chance that you might buy it.

Shorn355 likes this.
  7. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    What irritates me about TV auctions is exactly this. They spend way too much time on squeezing every dollar out of an ordinary car and give something like the 458 little time. I also hate when they finish spending so much time on something ordinary as mentioned and we see next car in line as being special and they cut to preview of another modified truck coming up. Do that during the ordinary crap.

Back to the car, from what I did see and hear they indicated that it was clean with no issues, just miles. However, to set a reserve at $200k and accept $165k has to mean something OR this was a desperate sell. If desperate but clean, it would have been snatched up here in one day at $200k.

Shorn355, ShadowLAP and triathgeek like this.
  8. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    You realize that no auction house represents the car's condition, they specifically go out of their way to completely disclaim any representation of the car whatsoever, they do not even verify the car is correctly owned and not stolen...

https://ontime.mecum.com/cms/terms

triathgeek likes this.
  9. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    And flipped the morning of the next day for $220k

:cool:

10. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    IMHO and having attended several the only Mecum event worth a rats foreskin is Monterey and the only B-J event is West Palm- The rest are hoopleville-

RM, Sotheby's etc are amazing but then I'm the hoople in the crowd! :p:p:D:cool:

11. Sargepug

Sargepug Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2020
    NYC
    Sounds like a sale out of desperation!

430jm likes this.