488 - Stuck in Wet Mode and Dealer Cant Clear Lights | FerrariChat

488 Stuck in Wet Mode and Dealer Cant Clear Lights

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by DiamondDog, Jul 8, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DiamondDog

DiamondDog Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2021
    Orange County, CA
    2018 488 Spider with 6 k miles.

AVH System Failure, E Differential, ESC System Failure. Maniitoo Faiure, and stuck in Wet mode lights all came on

Replaced Battery. Still can't clear.

Dealer just emailed me and said they have to contact Ferrari Tech Support.

Should I be worried? Is this going to cost a ton? I have the New Power Warranty and this car as allegedly CPO from the Dealer but the warranty hasn't covered any of the problems prior to this.

2. RoadRonin

RoadRonin Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2020
    San Francisco
    I had a similar experience on my 458. Since you have ruled out the battery, it could possibly be a brake or speed sensor failure. Shouldn’t be a very expensive fix if that’s what it is.

This has happened to other FChat members so a quick search may provide you with some good information.

3. triathgeek

triathgeek Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2010
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Happened on my 458, was a cheep brake switch.

4. Bigbobo

Bigbobo Karting

Jul 25, 2020
    Northern CA
    Cheap is relative...

5. DiamondDog

DiamondDog Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2021
    Orange County, CA
    #5 DiamondDog, Jul 15, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2022
    Dealer finally heard back from Ferrari. They started checking wiring per their instructions. The discovered a 40 amp fuse was blown. That’s a big fuse

Replaced it, but can’t figure out how a 40 amp fuse would blow. I didn’t jump start ever, always on tender, and didn’t change or touch battery until after all those warning lights came on

For search purposes and a summary of fixes that others and I have done to fix as posted throughout FC

Unplug battery and plug back in

Change battery

Bad ABS sensor

Bad wheel sensor

Blown 40 amp fuse

Hope this helps people

Replaced Power Transfer Unit

Blown Fuel pump ECU that blew 50 amp fuse

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

Pure745 and rob5819 like this.
  6. rotaryrocket7

rotaryrocket7 Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2011
    Eden Prairie, MN
    Full Name:
    Matt
    lighting strike?

7. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    Change battery again……Just sayin

At least swap one and make sure new battery is not a dud.

8. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    A fuse is there to protect the wire from melting and the car catching fire. Full stop . Thats its duty. It is not there to protect any electronic parts of the car.

Automotive fuses generally are slow burn so they wont burn if slightly over than the fuse rating.

100% for the fuse to burn there was a short. Either you accidentally touched an earth or there was a surge ( capacitors discharging ) or an electronic part after the 40 amp fuse has failed and shorted.

IMO Ferraris are not simple cars like a Toyota. I would only ever let the dealer to change anything electrical.

QUESTION Is the car at the dealer ? If so they are stating that they have to go back to Ferrari ? If so , ild say they will find what caused the 40 amp fuse to burn. Will it be your fault ?

Now if the car is at home, Mate dont panic. Get the car to the dealer and get them to reset the codes.

Like I have said many times before . My battery finally had dead cells, many codes and stayed in wet mode. Drove it to Ferrari , new batter = no issues all cleared.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  9. DiamondDog

DiamondDog Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2021
    Orange County, CA

Car has been at the dealer for at leasr two weeks.

I did.not change battery myself. . I did discoonect and reconnect the ground with the quick release but I only did that because the error lights were on so disconnting and connecting did not cause it as the errors were there which prompted the messing with battery.

Dealer contacted Ferrari and it took them a week to respond. Ferrari guided them to discover the fuse blew. They have not determined cause and can not replicate the error lights coming on again since the cleared

10. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Just a comment : I dont believe your dealer is that good and or they are just too busy and feeding you BS.

I unfortunately bought the 488 GTB electronic workshop manual but it didn't have the electrical :( Or else I would have told you what happened.

At the end of the day if everything is cleared and working dont worry about what happened.

GaryTarmac likes this.
  11. GaryTarmac

GaryTarmac Karting

Mar 1, 2021
    Full Name:
    Gary Tarmac
    My 2017 488 Spider does the same
    Changed the battery still does it
    Took to dealer for test and they said it’s low volts and to keep on charge but still does it
    Charged for 7 days straight then started it and drove 200 odd miles no problems then stopped for petrol then started it and guess what!
    Iv just learned to live with it now and turn the engine off for 20 secs then back on and all clear and good to go!

Gary Tarmac

12. DiamondDog

DiamondDog Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2021
    Orange County, CA

Mine ended up being a blown fuse. $300 to diagnose that and change fuse from dealer. Maybe I can save you some money with this post.

13. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    GF is also stuck in wet mode. Any tips guys?

14. DiamondDog

DiamondDog Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2021
    Orange County, CA
    seat covers?

Eric C and Cigarzman like this.
  15. Mrpseudonym

Mrpseudonym Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 7, 2020
    Sydney, Australia
    Now that was good.

16. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Did you put a new battery ?

17. GaryTarmac

GaryTarmac Karting

Mar 1, 2021
    Full Name:
    Gary Tarmac
    Brand new at Ferrari dealer

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

18. dgoldenz94

dgoldenz94 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 13, 2020
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    David Gold
    Everyone should have an Antigravity battery. Easily the best $1k you can spend on a Ferrari. If it turns out to be bad battery/low voltage that will solve your problems permanently and the benefit of not needing a battery tender.

19. GaryTarmac

GaryTarmac Karting

Mar 1, 2021
    Full Name:
    Gary Tarmac
    Hmmm interesting!
    Can you back this up with facts?
    I just had my battery replaced at Ferrari main dealership and they never mentioned this to me?

Gary Tarmac

20. dgoldenz94

dgoldenz94 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 13, 2020
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    David Gold
    Just ask anyone that's installed an AG battery. Plenty of threads and info on the forum. Ferrari doesn't mention it because they want to sell you their own overpriced battery that will fail in 6 months and then you'll need to come back for another one. The battery in my FF died twice even after having it on the tender 100% of the time. Replaced with AG battery, all electrical/battery issues gone. Car cranks right up after 2 weeks of sitting without tender. If the battery ever dies you can restart it with the touch of a button.

iMrMark, Boomhauer and SVCalifornia like this.
  21. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Have had one in my FF for a year and no problems. Not been on a tender since I installed it. Go off for a week and non problems.

Highly recommended. Tho installation is tricky.

SV

dgoldenz94 likes this.
  22. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

In that case your car has underlining problem.

Get Ferrari to sort it out.

23. Pure745

Pure745 Rookie

Jul 18, 2021
    My 458 is at Newport Ferrari now with literally the same issues! I have the New Power warranty as well, I'm hoping my resolution is as easy as yours.

24. DiamondDog

DiamondDog Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2021
    Orange County, CA
    Best of luck.

Did they charge you a $300 diagnostic fee if its not covered under warranty?

Changing my fuse and this issue was not covered under my New Power Warranty.

25. Pure745

Pure745 Rookie

Jul 18, 2021
    They haven’t officially diagnosed the car yet, but if it’s not covered by warranty they did say it’s $300 for diagnosis.