Spring options - 575 | FerrariChat

Spring options - 575

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Chupacabra, Jul 18, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    Does anyone know of aftermarket options that may be at least roughly analogous to the FHP springs? I had a line on some originals a little while ago and stupidly hemmed and hawed and now they are NLA.

2. Konadog06

Konadog06 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 22, 2007
    Daytona Beach, Florida
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Eurospares shows FHP springs available to order, same for HGTC. They also show used FHP rears in stock. And they show an aftermarket alternative to the HGTC’s at a lower price.
    I had new FHP and HGTC springs in hand at one point. Had them tested in a NASCAR team facility. Difference is negligible with a very slight edge to firmness with HGTC. Those numbers were recorded on this forum somewhere.
    For some reason these springs do go on and off with availability. They always seem to come back though.
    Bill
    FL

3. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    AH! Excellent, I'll check there, thanks!

4. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Given the option, I would do the rear anti-roll bar first, if you can find one.

Auraraptor likes this.
  5. Ffre92

Ffre92 Formula Junior

May 26, 2014
    NY
    I’m been on the hunt for years. Eurospares, ricambi, scuderia, maranello always show the parts avail on their websites, but almost always is not the case. U have to email them periodically. I lucked out last year and was able to get the fhp springs from scuderia.

Although I haven’t installed them yet, I’m still trying to locate a fhp or hgtc sway bar for completeness, but no luck after 4 years of looking.

6. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    That last part...that's the big thing :)

7. docapl

docapl Formula Junior

Apr 26, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    If enough of us wanted to have the FHP rear bar fabricated, is there a way? I have the FHP springs on now and it’s a real improvement. However, it sure would be nice to complete this setup.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

Ffre92 likes this.
  8. Konadog06

Konadog06 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 22, 2007
    Daytona Beach, Florida
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Like the springs mentioned above the HGTC rear bar seems to pop in and out of availability. My advice for someone interested would be to place an order and wait. Check back on the order occasionally for status to make sure that it is still active.
    I’ve seen one maybe two used FHP bars surface and disappear immediately worldwide over the last 15 years and I used to watch closely. The same with conversations, guys talk about reproducing a bar but for whatever reason nothing comes to fruition. Guessing the outlay requirements are too much.
    From personal experience and the knowledge that the FHP and HGTC springs are so similar, the HGTC bar works well with either. And the HGTC bar is the only one that shows occasional availability. There are two listings currently shown for the HGTC bar, why I’m not sure. In the listing it’s noted that the HGTC bar is Ferraris replacement for the FHP bar.
    A conclusion might be that Ferrari established with their HGTC package that the FHP bar was no longer needed to achieve their suspension goals.
    Bill

Attached Files:

9. Ffre92

Ffre92 Formula Junior

May 26, 2014
    NY
    I was holding out for oem, but at this point willing to go aftermarket. Konadog is prob right, shops too busy right now to make this worth it for them. Maybe if the recession takes hold, and there is a slowdown that might change things. I’m sure places like AI engineering in NY or GTO in LA can do this easily

10. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    I can't tell about the FHP on the 575 but the HGTC suspension is definitely a good improvement over the base set-up.
    The other thing to be addressed is the braking system, without going for the CCM the Brembo big brake kits are nice.
    Then the 575 almost becomes a sports car :)

white out likes this.
  11. Ffre92

Ffre92 Formula Junior

May 26, 2014
    NY
    It really is a slippery slope. Need 19inch Modulars to allow big brake kit. Then Fabio headers/exhaust. That’s a Mondial worth of upgrades!

Auraraptor likes this.
  12. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    The Brembo kits with 355 mm discs front (with 6-pot callipers) and 345 mm rear could fit with standard wheels... but I admit that in addition to the HGTC suspension my car had a bespoke exhaust from Orbisoud (the company used to make exhaust systems for rallye cars, they closed in 2016) since it's true the standard configuration is rather muted.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

white out, Auraraptor and Ffre92 like this.
  13. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    #13 Auraraptor, Jul 21, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2022
    Agreed, the 355mm kit is a great period correct upgrade over the standard setup. Not as good as the HGTC brakes but still nice setup that clears all factory wheels. Also the revised piston sizes gives a great linear pedal feel and easily modulated travel.

OEM: Bias 66.2 Front
    F: 330/32mm thick (38-46 Pistons)
    R: 310/28mm thick (30-34 Pistons)

Brembo 355mm 6 piston kit: Bias 67 Front
    F: 1M18028A 355/32mm thick (28-34-36 Pistons)
    R: 2C18010A 345/28mm thick (28-30 Pistons)

I don’t have the full HGTC specs (diameter/thickness/piston sizes)

LVP488, you could consider adding Ferrari logos to your calipers. Black is the period correct script color for most caliper colors except black which uses white.

Sorry for marginal photo but they in my opinion they look much better behind 19s vs the standard step-up (while also lighter!)!

Attached Files:

LVP488 likes this.
  14. docapl

docapl Formula Junior

Apr 26, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    I tried to order the HGTC rear bar from Eurospares. The cancelled the order the next day and refunded my credit card. Email said NLA. The hunt continues.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

15. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    The new Brembo are bigger: Front 380/34mm & Rear 380/28mm.

They might fit under the stock 18" wheels.

16. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Possibly, I didn’t measure to see if they did. The 18s need reasonably open barrels to squeeze that in. Ill check later and see if they clear (Brembo offers a template) Personally I went with 355 since they were lighter/original period.

white out likes this.
  17. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    My 575 was sold back in 2010 when I replaced it with a 599... I currently own a 550 but don't look at performance improvements for it, as it's more assigned to relaxed trips (the 488 being the more performance oriented Ferrari).

Auraraptor likes this.
  18. Konadog06

Konadog06 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 22, 2007
    Daytona Beach, Florida
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Anthony I’m sorry. Thanks for the feedback. If your interest persist and no solutions surface, I would still contact them occasionally until it drops off their parts book. As mentioned the springs and bar have been NLA on numerous occasions over the years and then someone pops up and post that they had just purchased one of those items. Meanwhile if I see something I’ll mention it.
    Bill
    FL

docapl and Auraraptor like this.
  19. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    FHP, HGTC springs and bars are NLA last i checked unless F ordered another run.

i bought the last set of HGTC springs. my old car was wrecked and out on copat months ago. ferrparts bought? might be able to find used

today, i would just order the KV kit. i've seen sets for sale in europe

i have an old post where i had goldcrest motorsports measure both the FHP and HGTC springs

20. docapl

docapl Formula Junior

Apr 26, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    No worries. It was certainly worth a shot!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

21. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    Coilovers are a good option as they use newer technology and replace all the older components (springs, shocks, bushings). The MSC really transformed my car.
    KW stopped offering the 550/575M for a period, but they are available again. Current coilover offerings for 550/575M are KW, Moton, and MSC.

22. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    How would you rank them in terms of quality? (I know nothing of coil overs)

23. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Your Maranello has coil-overs, just not aftermarket ones.

24. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    #24 Auraraptor, Jul 22, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2022
    Yes I was more curious for my little Honda. OEM shocks are NLA. I figured might as well get the best.

OEM setup is fine for me for all the Italian cars. Honestly the only main issue I have with the 575 is the brakes (addressed) and the sound/headers/exhaust (working on it).