car design thread | Page 576 | FerrariChat

car design thread

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by jm2, Oct 19, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Not unless you look at them on the same page! :D

2. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Art was such a cool guy. I invited him to speak at the College for Creative Studies before he passed. He had all of us in awe of the great stories he had to tell.

of2worlds, Tenney, Schultz and 2 others like this.
  3. lambchop

lambchop Karting

Apr 29, 2005
    It is a problem only b/c the design element looks great on the non hand made, non Rolls competitor, fraction of the cost SUV and not the intended standard of the world sedan. With that said, SUV is very appealing.

Guessing we're probably but hours away from someone, an amateur, no less, posting an instagram render that remedies the Jensen hunch hatch. Hard to understand how a focus group (seemingly including Rolls/ S class owners), or a co-worker....someone doesn't walk into that room and hit the emergency go back to the drawing board button. Is this what happens when auto designers throw on the black sweater and scarf and are given free rein ??

Ok, that last sentence is a test just to see how easily car designers are offended.

4. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    These two videos start to get at the 'behind the scenes' of corporate design. Future episodes will discuss a great deal more.

Dolcevita and anunakki like this.
  5. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Motor Trend listed these elements surrounding the Celestiq:
    • Cadillac prioritized finalizing the flagship Celestiq's design early so it could inspire mainstream cars that would precede it to market, like the Lyriq.
    • The proportions were set by specifying the largest Escalade wheels on a vehicle with a roofline lower than the CT6's along with the wheelbase and width necessary to package enough Ultium battery modules down a wide center console. Chief engineer Tony Roma notes, "If it were about 8mm [0.3 inch] wider, we'd have to add clearance lights."
    • The design is meant to look simple from afar, and then reveal exquisite details upon closer examination.
    • The aluminum spaceframe will be left unpainted with horizontal brushing also applied by hand, visible around each door opening.
    • Because of the low roof, it would be impossible to seat passengers comfortably atop a skateboard battery like the one in the Lyriq, Hummer, or Silverado EV. So the footwells are all "hollowed out," with most of the battery modules residing in a high, wide center console that runs about 8 feet down the entire center of the car.
    • "We wanted to treat the occupant of each seat like they were the owner," Roma said, noting how each is fitted with precisely the same caliber of heating, ventilation, neck-warming, recline, and massage. The shape and "standard trim order" is the same for all four seats, which are designed to look a bit like a classic mid-century Eames chair.
    • The show car's seats, door panels, and even the floors are wrapped in real leather; the floors are covered with carpeted floormats made of eucalyptus fibers which feel even more sumptuous than the bamboo-fiber ones found in the Mercedes EQXX concept.
    • A continuous, curved 55-inch diagonal LED-illuminated screen incorporates a "digital blind" which allows drivers to see static content on the passenger's screen to avoid distractions.
    • Air vents are aimed electrically.
    • The Mondrian Cadillac-crest-inspired tinting gradations on the rear side glass are disallowed by safety standards.
    • Cadillac gave assurances that goddess iconography will be reserved for very special Cadillacs, like the Celestiq.
    • An annual production of 400 would match that of the hand-built 1957 Eldorado Brougham.

6. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I dont have anything against this car, but id rather drive a manual Civic Type R.

Qvb likes this.
  7. anunakki

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    You mean the C pillar/tailights? They are going to be reflection nightmares in places like nevada when the sun is overhead. Taillights with surface area that runs parallel to the road always 'glow' and look like brake lights are perpetually on.

From a design standpoint its hard to say in pics

330 4HL and jm2 like this.
  8. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    The basic bodyside and upper themes are very close let alone the taillamps.

330 4HL likes this.
  9. anunakki

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Arent those both Caddys? What am i missing

jm2 likes this.
  10. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Yes that’s the point. Same design themesvatv1/w the cost

11. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    The new hyper expensive halo Cadillac looks like a squashed daily driver SUV Cadillac that is probably 25% of the price.

That's a bit of an issue. If they were going to share the same design nomenclature, the halo car really should have been released first to lead the new direction and the SUV much later.

All the best,
    Andrew.

tritone, 330 4HL and jm2 like this.
  12. anunakki

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Odd double post

13. anunakki

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Okay. Yeah i guess i dont see it as a big issue which is why i didnt see it originally. Its just visual branding to me. Im sure in person the halo cars proportions are going to be outrageous enough that these will just be seen as visual branding.

14. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Absolutely, that was a given my entire career at GM.

330 4HL likes this.
  15. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Let's talk more Cadillacs.:rolleyes:

16. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Peter DeLorenzo The Autoextremist weighs in on the Cadillac Celestiq.
    THE CADILLAC CELESTIQ: SPECTACULAR WOW.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login SATURDAY, JULY 23, 2022 AT 12:54PM
    By Peter M. DeLorenzo

Detroit. No, there wasn’t going to be a “Part IV” to my series on the importance of design, but then Cadillac released the official images of its CELESTIQ show car – which is basically the production car – and the automotive world came to a screeching halt.

The CELESTIQ is no ordinary show car. It represents a commitment by GM upper management to return Cadillac to its once hard-earned moniker “The Standard of the World” – with a no excuses, no-compromise machine that oozes “Cadillac” from every angle. This will be a hyper-luxury sedan designed to compete with the best that the automotive world has to offer. This $300,000+ automotive flamboyance can be customized to the last detail by its buyers, and the CELESTIQ will be handbuilt in a special assembly facility at the GM Global Technical Center in Warren, Michigan.

But the significance of the CELESTIQ goes even beyond that. It is a stunning, milestone car that reasserts GM Design’s position as the unrivaled industry leader in an automotive discipline that can make or break a brand’s image, or make or break and an entire company, for that matter.

Historically, GM not only has the deepest connection to the roots of automotive design, it invented the discipline. From the time when Harley Earl created the Art and Colour Section in 1927, GM has valued and nurtured design and has been the industry leader by far. And when Bill Mitchell succeeded Earl as chief of design in the late 50s, GM reveled in a period of unbridled design creativity that lasted for two decades. Mitchell’s most notable show cars and concepts – the ’59 Corvette Sting Ray racer, the Mako Shark I and II, the Corvair Monza GT and SS – were indeed stunning, but his real genius was rooted in his ability to bring concept car looks to mainstream production vehicles like the ’63 Corvette Sting Ray, the ’63 Buick Riviera, the front-wheel-drive Oldsmobile Toronado and Cadillac Eldorado, and on and on. The legacy of the Mitchell Era resonates to this day, and you can feel it every time you walk into the magnificent GM Design lobby.

And Cadillac has led the way for GM Design for the better part of two decades, with stunning show cars like the Sixteen, Cien, Ciel, Elmiraj and Escala. But those breathtaking machines were just warmups for the ultimate GM Design statement: the Cadillac CELESTIQ.

“The CELESTIQ show car is the purest expression of Cadillac,” said Magalie Debellis, manager, Cadillac Advanced Design. “It brings to life the most integrated expressions of design and innovation in the brand’s history, coalescing in a defining statement of a true Cadillac flagship.” In developing the show car, the design and engineering teams didn’t have to go far in order to immerse themselves in the legacy of Cadillac. The artisanship and customization that defined early Cadillac sedans such as the bespoke V-16 powered coaches of the prewar era, and the handbuilt 1957 Eldorado Brougham were notable examples of an illustrious history. “Those vehicles represented the pinnacle of luxury in their respective eras, and helped make Cadillac the standard of the world,” said Tony Roma, chief engineer. “The CELESTIQ show car — also a sedan, because the configuration offers the very best luxury experience — builds on that pedigree and captures the spirit of arrival they expressed.”

As I said in one of my previous design columns, design is the Ultimate Initial Product Differentiator, and in the transition to the EV Age, compelling design will become even more critical. With similar battery platform designs – aka “the skateboard” – and other technical commonalities such as range and charging capability, the look and street presence of vehicles will directly affect consumer desire. The True Believers at GM Design seem to understand this implicitly, which is why the CELESTIQ is so breathtaking.

In another one of my design columns, I said: What makes us gravitate to one shoe or another? Design. What about to a coat or a particular pair of boots? Design. And how about furniture? Design. Everything we come across as we go about our day is directly attributable to design, from residential and commercial architecture to graphic presentations in videos and on TV, and everything and anything in between. Even mundane places – such as gas stations and their attached convenience stores – have graphic designs helping to create their look and feel. Design sets the tone and creates an ambience, and even if we’re not consciously aware of its power and influence, it is always there.

And when it comes to automobiles, of course, it’s no secret that the power and influence of design are magnified exponentially. Design not only matters in the automobile business: It. Is. Everything.

This series has generated a lot of comments from within the industry, especially – and understandably so – from the design community. I would say that the vast majority of the comments we received were positive, and that’s gratifying, because I have the utmost respect for the creative talents who work in the design houses all over the world.

As I’ve said many times before, the artisans who toil in design studios are the most influential people in the automobile business. They set the tone for brands and lead the word-of-mouth, “street look” discussions, and their visionary work can make – or break – a car company’s fortunes, as I stated previously.

This work requires, vision, discipline and a savagely creative mindset that is instantly graded the moment the wraps are taken off of their latest designs. It is a tough, tough profession, but when you talk to designers, most wouldn’t trade it for anything. Seeing something in concept or production form that they had a key role in creating presents a level of exhilaration that’s extremely hard to beat.

As if to underscore my series on Design, the Cadillac CELESTIQ is the most stunning vehicle to appear on the automotive scene in 25 years. Period. GM Design, under Michael Simcoe’s leadership, has not only returned Cadillac to being “The Standard of the World,” but the support given to nurture the development of this machine speaks volumes about GM upper management’s commitment to projecting GM as an industry leader into the EV Age.

This just in: The CELESTIQ is simply spectacular.

energy88 and Qvb like this.
  17. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    And now the Blazer SS is sexier than the Purosangue? Say it ain't so, Joe...
    I didn't think i would ever say that, a SUV made in America better looking than a Ferrari. But the Ferrari SUV is a hell of a shape to make good looking. It appears that when they entered the SUV field Ferrari was not the master. But I haven't seen their final productIon SUV yet, so I'm hoping it's better looking than all the guesses, including my own. And if Ferrari has their V12 in their entry, Chevrolet would never go to there. The website Autoblog reveals the mechanicals: for the 2024 Lazer SS
    "Starting with the top-of-the-line SS performance model, Chevy promises 557 horsepower and 648 pound-feet of torque from the dual-motor performance all-wheel-drive setup. There’s no official 0-60 mph time yet, but GM says it will be under 4 seconds when in Wide Open Watts (WOW) mode. The SS also gets a performance braking system with Brembos up front, a “track-tuned” suspension and standard summer performance tires wrapping 22-inch wheels — all-season tires will be optional. Range for the SS is estimated to be approximately 290 miles. Of course, the SS is the most aggressive looking of all the Blazer EV trims, as it features a two-tone look and unique performance styling all around it.

Autoblog says SS should be regarded as GN's answer to the Ford Mustang Mach-E GT model--a high-performance variant of what is otherwise a very regular crossover. Price wise is similar to that of a Mach-E GT — kind of early , two years ahead of time t talk price but Autoblog feels $65,995 is a likely starting price for the SS.

Sorry no pictures. My computer (like the women in my life) is playing hard to get....

18. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    330 4HL likes this.
  19. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    It's all about proportions. Once we see both cars, we can then make an assessment.

tritone and Edward 96GTS like this.
  20. energy88

Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    While waiting on The Sketch Monkey's suggested changes to the Celestiq, I came across his earlier comments on the Lyriq.

Personally, I prefer the GM tail light treatment on the Lyric. Hope Sketch Monkey doesn't try to apply the revised tail light treatment on the Celestiq.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

tritone and jm2 like this.
  21. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Design walk around, '63 Lincoln Continental & Buick Riveria

Tenney and energy88 like this.
  22. JCR

JCR F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
    Will there be a GMC equivalent? I tend to prefer the GMC styling over the Chevy versions (Pickup, SUV, etc).

23. energy88

Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Yikes! Vacuum powered windshield wipers. What could go wrong? :eek:

jm2 likes this.
  24. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    EDITORIAL

Y'know I was starting to do a book on Elon Musk and one of the things i was going to complement him for is allowing us Americans to break our former dependency on always wanting to be seen in The Latest Model.
    I remember when I grew up in Detroit you were practically shamed for driving something three years old.
    (Of course Detroit i built on a salt mine. They lay it on highways half a foot deep in winter and cars rust fast).
    That was why they changed the height of the tail fins, etc, so everybody would know you're driving an "old" car. What a loser you are!
    So along comes Elon and he keeps each model the same year after year.Oh the electronics are up-dated all the time. The headlights and turn signals change, especially for different market.
    But now i see the 2024 Chevy Blazer S. All electric. starts at bout $65,000, I am sure the quality of the Tesla is going to be tough to beat with a Chevy. But 0 to 60 in four seconds. that's Tesla fast, And it's so excitingly styled it will be mistaken for a Ferrari Purosangue I bet,an SUV that cost six times as much
    So here's where I worry about Elon's Don'-t change-for-the-sake-of-change.philosophy.
    Now that Detroit's gearing up for electric , they are going to offer:
    -Electric SUVs
    -Electric convertibles
    -Electric sports cars
    -Electrics under $30,000
    So now that stillborn chapter, praising Elon for his " No Change is Good":is in limbo. If Detroit automakers can once again sell the American public on the idea that model changes made solely for change's sake are good, this time on electrics, they may blunt his leadership in electrics.
    What say you?

330 4HL likes this.
  25. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Tesla has been the market leader in electric vehicles on the basis of their technology: performance and range. That wasn't accomplished by Elon Musk, it was mechanical engineer Peter Rawlinson who was behind the execution of the groundbreaking Model S.

Thanks to Elon Musk's juvenile leadership style, evident in how he engages online, responds publicly to his staff, fights with politicians, and negotiates deals, Peter Rawlinson left Tesla to found Lucid Motors. Lucid are making more refined-looking luxury electric cars than Telsa, and they're starting to eat away at Tesla's technological advantage over the marketplace. Tesla's entry level Model S has a range of 375 miles while the best possible range configuration gives 405 miles. Meanwhile, the entry level Lucid Air has a range of 406 miles, beating Tesla's best offering, while the best possible range configuration gives a range of 520 miles. Tesla can charge for 15 minutes to get 200 miles, while it takes Lucid 20 minutes to get 300 miles. In terms of performance, Lucid Air makes more power, but is 0.6 seconds slower to 60mph due to weight and traction - the extra weight also contributes to a more refined ride. While exterior design is different, there seems to be a parity, but in terms of interior design it's no competition at all. Tesla interiors look like base model cars you might find in a rental with asinine gimmicks everyone hates like yoke steering wheels, while the Lucid interiors actually look like luxury vehicles.

I think the writing is on the wall for Tesla while they have Musk in charge. His attention-seeking ways seem to be good for a startup company getting traction, but he's not the right guy to run a mature company.

All the best,
    Andrew.

anunakki, tritone, Qvb and 2 others like this.